Conspiracy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK... I watched the press conference this morning as well, and wanted to give a few thoughts in regards to Brett's possible retirement. Some of this is taken from other sites I read, and some is from my own observations. Take it for what it is worth.

IMHO, Brett will be returning for the 2006 campaign. In fact, I am convinced that he will, TT knows it, and this whole "wait and see" thing is a farce. The reasons are as follows:

The Craig Nall - Buffalo Bills Deal

The first clue of this alleged conspiracy starts with Favre's hunting buddy and former backup, Craig Nall. Nall went on a hunting trip with Brett and upon his return signed a deal with Buffalo. Now this in itself may not strike some as particularly odd, as Nall was a Free Agent and could be looking for a starting gig. However, if Brett was planning on leaving GB, would you not think that Nall would be aware of this as he is one of Brett's best friends on the team? Furthermore, if Brett was intending to leave, Nall could stick around as either the backup (which he may end up being in Buffalo) or the starter (if he beats A-Rod to the position). IMO, Nall knows that Favre is coming back, and decided to try for a multi-year deal with another team while he has one more year of marketability.

The Monday Night Schedule

Green Bay has been given two Monday night prime-time appearances this season. While that in itself is not out of the ordinary (last year, they had 3), you have to consider that in 2005 the Pack was coming off a their third-straight NFC North Division Title. This year, they are coming off a 4-12 record, their first losing season in 14 years. Given the NFL's penchant for high profile marketing, and seeing that ESPN is paying $64.7 million for the rights to televise each game, why would the NFL schedule a Favre-less Pack with a rookie QB that may not interest many outside their loyal fan base? In addition, the 21 December Queens-Packers matchup is being billed as "Favre's Final Home Game" and is being exclusively broadcast by the NFL Network. Keep in mind that the NFL is using a "variable" sunday night programming schedule to ensure that only the high-profile games are broadcast during primetime, and the two MNF football slots become a little more suspicious.

Now the question remains as to why... While I can't know what is going on at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, possible reasons could be:

Trying to trick later draft picks that GB is after another QB, and force them to jump up in the draft to get the player they want. This could result in Williams being available at #5.

Brett trying to publically make TT look bad for not doing more in the FA. This could be due to spite, or possibly due to a genuine dislike for the man.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not inferring that I dislike TT, or disagree with the direction he is taking the Pack. I am only elaborating on the possibility that Favre has already informed TT and the NFL brass of his decision to return, and for reasons unknown it appears they are purposely delaying informing the general public).

Your thoughts?

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk has been saying this but they say that Favre told them and said not to make it known to the public until he gives them the ok. I don't really know what to think about this but I would be leaning somewhat heavily on the not true side.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the Shiny Hat Club...

(We meet on Tuesdays....)

(Not that i'm inferring that you're a whacko or nutjob conspiracy theorist....because i'm sure that others here will do that for me...)

(this is your cue digs...)

It's an ok theory (as theories go)..but I think Nall didn't know because Favre didn't know..and he didn't want to risk him coming back...

NFL schedule...they might have guessed Favre was coming back..rightly or wrongly..and scheduled the game anyway...in the hopes that he would come back...

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, more likely a result of the offseason and over examination of what is going on

OP
OP
A

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Welcome to the Shiny Hat Club...

(We meet on Tuesdays....)

Nice one, P@ck. :)

This was just a theory based on Big Business expectations, and the fact that some websites I have read have inferred similar ideas (PFT.com being one of the main ones).

P@ck66 said:
It's an ok theory (as theories go)..but I think Nall didn't know because Favre didn't know..and he didn't want to risk him coming back...

Possibly, but Nall is not a shoe-in for starter in Buffalo. Why the sudden need to jump ship, especially when Favre is publically flirting with hanging it up for good?

P@ck66 said:
NFL schedule...they might have guessed Favre was coming back..rightly or wrongly..and scheduled the game anyway...in the hopes that he would come back...

Possibly. In fact I would agree if not for the variable scheduling on Sunday nights. IF the NFL is so worried about ratings for Prime Time (to the extent of waiting to see which teams are in the running for playoff spots before scheduling them), why would they take a chance for 2 games featuring the Pack sans Favre? Additionally, why promote the Pack vs. Queens game as Favre's last home field game, and televise it exclusively on the NFL Network?

If you ask me, something is rotten in Denmark, but we will all have to wait and see.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nall going to Buffalo is a bit peculiar, with Holcomb over there fighting for playing time. just looking at Lossman's performance last year, at least it's an opportunity for him to compete for a starting job.

i'm sure he didn't appreciate holding the clipboard behind Favre for such a long time just to get immediately passed up by an unproven rookie with no snaps under his belt. i'm guessing he just feels a bit slighted by the franchise...

as far as the Monday night games go...the Pack is still the most popular team in the league correct? ratings are ratings are ratings.

...and aren't they making the Sunday night game the premier game from now on?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL CAN change the schedule........if they decide the "Favreless" Packers arn't worthy.
I'm more upset about Nall leaving. I think he was pretty good in his small amount of time he got to play. I can't blame the guy though........who wants to be a backup forever? There's not the "big bucks" in that roll. Although you can hang around a LONG time that way.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they cant change the MNF games

at least thats what i heard, with the new flex schedule.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nall leaving had nothing to do with Favre. He is a backup at best and got twice the money GB would have given him.

OP
OP
A

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
as far as the Monday night games go...the Pack is still the most popular team in the league correct? ratings are ratings are ratings.

True enough. However, I don't imagine the Pack sans Favre going through growing pains with A-Rod would generate the kinds of audiences the NFL seems to be shooting for this season.

It is also entirely possible that this is all a marketing ploy by the NFL to make "Favre's final season" the most profitable one yet in terms of ratings, advertising revenues and mechandise sales. It certainly is just as believable as the "fixed" accusation that was discussed following Superbowl XL.

Just a thought,

Robert C. Hedley

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"It is also entirely possible that this is all a marketing ploy by the NFL to make "Favre's final season" the most profitable one yet in terms of ratings, advertising revenues and mechandise sales. It certainly is just as believable as the "fixed" accusation that was discussed following Superbowl XL".

I hope this crazy theory ( not calling you crazy ) is true because I don't see another way out of this mess at the moment. Who knows ? Stranger things have happened !!!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main problem I see with the theory is that Nall got a ton of money to go to Buffalo (it was, surprise, surprise a hell of a lot more than TT was willing to pay him). This was the reason he left, IMO.

Reaction score
I agree with TO, I think money was the big factor in the decision. That said, I think Nall had HINTS that Brett was going to come back, so that didn't help the situation that much.

The thing is, I read PFT.com, and I like the site. They have some solid stuff there, but then again they are also off at times too. However, I think it MAY BE possible that Brett has told the franchise he will be back. I just find it very odd that TT has done nothing in the QB market, and if Brett were to retire, I think TT would literally be caught with his patns down. That is why I think he must have had some insurance that Brett was going to come back.

As for the Brett not liking TT thing, hey it is possible. The thing is, that he has said he wants a better team, to be competitive. I guess one could take in the context that he is taking a back-handed shot at TT, and I think he is perhaps showing a little anger at TT for not doing more. I don't blame Brett at all, I mean we all want the same thing for the guy, to ride off into the sunset.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
As for the Brett not liking TT thing, hey it is possible. The thing is, that he has said he wants a better team, to be competitive. I guess one could take in the context that he is taking a back-handed shot at TT, and I think he is perhaps showing a little anger at TT for not doing more. I don't blame Brett at all, I mean we all want the same thing for the guy, to ride off into the sunset.

You calling Brett a liar?

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nall was a third stringer at Green Bay. he did look "Ok"in "mop up" roles in regular season games. He did not look "Ok" in training camp and practices. Nall had 4 years of experience last year and could not beat out a rookie Aaron Rodgers in '05.

A NFL player just has to look good in practice and training camp. Nall did not. When he was demoted to 3rd string, He wisely took the money and the chance to get a fresh start in Buffalo. And I hope he gets the starting job or at least a #1 back up position . I am very happy for him to get that opportunity. He is in his fifth season in NFL, his time for his chance to be a starting NFL QB is running out!!

Having said this, I was hoping Nall would stay here for one more year, just in case the Packers just might be wrong about Nall. But it seems like NFL teams are offering good contracts to just about every free agent Packer that is available in Free agency market. If this means something, maybe some posters of Packer forums are shortsighted on their evaluation of the talent of the players on the Packer roster this year.

OP
OP
A

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I think he means he is more like a Team Leader. Good leaders, no matter how they personally feel, do not incite those they lead into mutiny against their superiors. There are obvious exceptions to this rule, but they do not apply to football franchises and/or QBs.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anubis said:
True enough. However, I don't imagine the Pack sans Favre going through growing pains with A-Rod would generate the kinds of audiences the NFL seems to be shooting for this season.

Why not..? According to one, "knowledgeable", "fact-based", poster here...Favre is only good for 1-2 more wins a year anyway...for the Pack over Aaron Rodgers....so I guess they're almost equal....

Didn't you know that..?

Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I don't think Brett is a liar. After rereading my post, I should have been a little more clear on my point. I meant that it is possible that Brett doesn't think the world of TT, and perhaps doesn't get along with TT in the best of ways. That doesn't mean he hates TT. I'm just saying that the point PFT.com have been making about Favre not liking TT is sort of a "no $**t sherlock" type of thing, because the fact is that no two people are going to admire each other to death. Brett may not like certain things about TT, and vice versa, but I think it isn't right to say because of that "hate" Brett is twisting TT's tail.

I mean after all, if you hated and despised a guy like Brett does with TT (according to PFT.com), why on earth would you even talk with him twice a week, at least, over the phone for the last couple of months?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I don't think Brett is a liar. After rereading my post, I should have been a little more clear on my point. I meant that it is possible that Brett doesn't think the world of TT, and perhaps doesn't get along with TT in the best of ways. That doesn't mean he hates TT. I'm just saying that the point PFT.com have been making about Favre not liking TT is sort of a "no $**t sherlock" type of thing, because the fact is that no two people are going to admire each other to death. Brett may not like certain things about TT, and vice versa, but I think it isn't right to say because of that "hate" Brett is twisting TT's tail.

I mean after all, if you hated and despised a guy like Brett does with TT (according to PFT.com), why on earth would you even talk with him twice a week, at least, over the phone for the last couple of months?

Ahh I see now ... I trying to figure out why you were saying Brett hates TT or even that there is that possibility when Brett jus said for the umpteenth time that he gets along with him very well.

As you said they speak twice a week.

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean PFT completly ignored that issue, and its just making a story interesting, regardless of what people have said.

Isn't is funny though that they call out the media for giving Favre so much attention, but yesterday they dedicated like 4 posts to him? Talk about hypocritical....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean PFT completly ignored that issue, and its just making a story interesting, regardless of what people have said.

Isn't is funny though that they call out the media for giving Favre so much attention, but yesterday they dedicated like 4 posts to him? Talk about hypocritical....
lol very true in deed my friend very true indeed.

They are posting about him because they are using HIM and their tickertitty argument with Havel to get more hits for their advertisements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts