Competition for Left Guard is getting "Snippy"

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link

Barbre ready for change of guard

By Pete Dougherty • [email protected] • June 1, 2008

What’s this?

Allen Barbre's offseason work in the weight room has helped him to an even-money chance or better to beat out incumbent Daryn Colledge for the Green Bay Packers' starting job at left guard.

The Packers have been high on Barbre's talent since the end of his rookie training camp last year, so no matter what happened this offseason, he had a shot at the starting job at left guard this year. But the 2007 fourth-round draft pick from Division II Missouri Southern has enhanced his chances of winning the battle by embracing the Packers' offseason workout program and making substantial physical gains.

The program began in mid-March, and by the time it ended in early May, he'd added 16 pounds of lean muscle mass and lost 10 pounds of fat as measured by a body composition scan the Packers purchased last year.

"Very significant," said Rock Gullickson, the Packers' strength and conditioning coach, of Barbre's improvement. "When I first saw (the test results) I was, 'Gee, whiz.' Being such a young guy and seeing his body make that much of a change, he's into it now. He's like, what else can I do? He's checking on his nutrition, and we're talking about better ways to snack and get his protein into him. I'm curious to see how much further he can take it."

The competition between Colledge and Barbre should be one of the most interesting during the Packers' training camp, because Colledge has been working out in Green Bay all offseason and has the advantage of starting 28 regular-season games in the Packers' offense in his two years in the NFL.

Colledge said he started working out 2½ weeks after the Packers' NFC championship loss to the New York Giants on Jan. 20 and has added about 10 pounds of lean muscle mass and dropped his body fat about three percentage points from last year. At organized team activities practices that started last week, he weighed 310 pounds, which is 5 pounds heavier than last season.

One of Colledge's greatest shortcomings at guard is his play strength — he too often was overpowered by defensive tackles in the run game. He made strength gains last offseason, his first time through the Packers' offseason program, and is hoping the gains this year plus his ingrained knowledge of the offense will make for more stout play.

"This year, I really got to focus on being in the weight room," Colledge said, "I wasn't worried about knowing my job, because now I know it, so this year was really big for me physically. It paid off. I feel great. Rock thinks I've been doing really well, so I think I'm headed in the right direction."

The battle is crucial, because the Packers signed only one free agent, linebacker Brandon Chillar, and are looking for improvement from their existing roster to get better despite the loss of quarterback Brett Favre. One of the areas that can grow most is the offensive line, where the Packers had two second-year players — Colledge and Jason Spitz — as starters last season.

General Manager Ted Thompson drafted Colledge, Spitz and Barbre, among others, to fill the guard positions that were a disaster in 2005. Though the offensive line pass-blocked well last season, there were major inconsistencies in the run game, which didn't become productive until Ryan Grant emerged from the bottom of the depth chart to almost single-handedly lift it starting in the seventh game.

"I fully expect this line to be much better than it was last year," said James Campen, the Packers' offensive line coach.

The Packers drafted Barbre (6-foot-4, 300) last year as a raw but interesting prospect from Missouri Southern, where he played left tackle and was athletic enough that he played as an outside gunner on its punt-coverage team. Because of his raw talent, he probably was farther along at the end of training camp than Colledge was at the end of his first camp, but Barbre's lack of overall awareness and Colledge's edge in experience kept Barbre on the bench.

This year, the competition is wide open. In the OTA practices, the two have alternated days working with the No. 1 offense, and that's likely to continue into training camp until one separates from the other.

The winner will be decided on the practice field, so the Packers aren't saying much, but it's clear they think Barbre has a combination of physical talent and temperament to be a top-caliber offensive lineman.

"If you went back 365 days, he's a much different guy than he was then," said Joe Philbin, the Packers' offensive coordinator. "A lot more comfortable in the system, knows where he's going. He's got some fine athletic ability."

I said it before and I'll say it again. I think this guy'll end up a starter on our O-line for years to come. Whether it be @ Tackle or Guard, I'd feel good either way.

No matter who it is that ends up winning the position, you gotta love the potential depth should any starter get nicked up as the season wears on.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Growth from within!!!!!!!!! ROAR!!

Also, the demon barbre line was funny. I award you an A+.

I'm all for the best player playing, not the higher pick. Sherman did that crap, and we all know how that worked out.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,
When are you going to give up on blaming MS for everything, how easily you forget that The Packers had one of the best running games in the NFL until 2005.
It was TT who broke up that line, and started from scratch, MS may not have drafted the way YOU wanted him to, but he put together a damn good, offensive line.

Always looking for a scape goat, someone to blame.

The past is the past move on you might find life a little less stressful.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm all for the best player playing, not the higher pick. Sherman did that crap, and we all know how that worked out.

Sherman also punted on 4th and 1 from the opponent's 40 yard line when we had not one, not two, but THREE RBs who averaged 5+ yards a carry.

Aaarrrgh! Why did you have to bring up his name? I was in a good mood this morning. Next thing, you're going to start talking about A**** Ca****.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think the pathway is pretty clear on how the Packers line will shake out... if it is close on the Left Guard spot.. I think Barbre will be annointed the starter.. Colledge will then be shifted outside to begin the transformation into a tackle.. where his talents are better suited.. in turn that will allow the younger guard prospects to fill in the backup roles and Colledge and the big G to start to be groomed for the replacement of Cliffy and Tauscher in the next couple of years.. Cliffy before Tauscher IMO.. I think Tausch has a couple of more years of quality play in him.. where I think Cliffy's past injuries are really going to continue to plague him more and more..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,
When are you going to give up on blaming MS for everything, how easily you forget that The Packers had one of the best running games in the NFL until 2005.
It was TT who broke up that line, and started from scratch, MS may not have drafted the way YOU wanted him to, but he put together a damn good, offensive line.

I don't blame MS for everything. He did good things, and a lot of bad things. And we must learn from those bad things(like trying to be GM\Coach, killing the cap, forcing draft picks to play even if they suck, trading picks to get punters,etc). But yeah, cry for Mike Sherman if you must. Whatever.

You sure do pick your spots. Go back to being invisible.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was playing Call of Duty on XBOX Live a few months ago, and my clan name was "FARV". Well, in one of the games in the lobby this guy is asking me if I'm a Packers fan. He says it sarcastically so I tell him to **** off and then he informs me that he wasn't making fun and he also is a Packers fan. He CLAIMED, in fact, that he grew up with Allen Barbre--went to high school with him, knew him well.

He said he'd talked to Barbre recently and was told that he was really working the offseason hard and felt confident he'd be the eventual starter.

Now, this guy could be a complete liar--I know. But it's a little odd to pull up a relatively obscure D-II collegiate athlete gone fourth round pick and backup in an XBOX Live lobby. It's just not usual conversation fodder.

So if this gentleman's words are true, at least Barbre thinks Barbre's best.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the pathway is pretty clear on how the Packers line will shake out... if it is close on the Left Guard spot.. I think Barbre will be annointed the starter.. Colledge will then be shifted outside to begin the transformation into a tackle.. where his talents are better suited.. in turn that will allow the younger guard prospects to fill in the backup roles and Colledge and the big G to start to be groomed for the replacement of Cliffy and Tauscher in the next couple of years.. Cliffy before Tauscher IMO.. I think Tausch has a couple of more years of quality play in him.. where I think Cliffy's past injuries are really going to continue to plague him more and more..

That's exactly how I foresee this whole thing playing out.

I've lost most of my faith in Colledge's ability to fit as a Guard, but I'd still like to see how he does when given the opportunity to focus solely on the LT position. It's a franchise neccessity, and I agree that Cliff's days of elite performance are numbered.

This time last year, they were talking about Barbre's potential, and his "nasty streak", which I'd like to see more of from the guys mauling on the inside. I've been intrigued by Barbre's potential since about this time last year, and this article is getting me even more pumped..

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge is better at Tackle.

When the line was getting burned a bit last year it was mostly on stunts and a few on blitzes. Some of the blame sent Colledge's way belonged to Clifton. Experience and communication can overcome some of that.

I'm not so sure Clifton will finish the 2 years left on his contract. An injury struck team might trade a 3rd round pick for him.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

Sherman fan??? seriously?

worst GM ever.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

I think Trom was making a point about this staff not worried about who was drafted where and creating great competition which would be paramount in developing from within.

I would say about MS that he was not actually the one that brought together the great "0" line of the early 2000's first of all and by '05 he SHOULD have seen what was coming and not left the guard spot hanging like it was for TT to deal with.
Like drafting an offensive lineman somewhere along the way over four freaking years would have been a nice thing to do since he spent all the money on worthless FA's with no contingency plan for upcoming contracts.

I think Tom's point is all of a sudden we have a crowded room of young "0" linemen with potential and it feels kinda good.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe that nobody realizes that Tony Moll is going to be our starter at LG for the next 15 years.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Colledge has some good games in him at LG, but I'm also sure he has some bad games in him in that spot. He's too damned inconsistant which, IMO, is a mortal sin for an OL. With the DLs we face in our division alone, that's close to fatal. I'm still surprised we did as well as we did last year (but very grateful). It's time for change in our OL. Do it early so these guys can settle in.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still surprised we did as well as we did last year (but very grateful).

Then maybe Colledge isn't as bad at LG as some people think.

He needs to improve though, and as long as whoever plays LG is the better man, I don't care. Favre didn't get his awesome numbers last year all alone. Neither did Grant.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was playing Call of Duty on XBOX Live a few months ago, and my clan name was "FARV". Well, in one of the games in the lobby this guy is asking me if I'm a Packers fan. He says it sarcastically so I tell him to **** off and then he informs me that he wasn't making fun and he also is a Packers fan. He CLAIMED, in fact, that he grew up with Allen Barbre--went to high school with him, knew him well.

He said he'd talked to Barbre recently and was told that he was really working the offseason hard and felt confident he'd be the eventual starter.

Now, this guy could be a complete liar--I know. But it's a little odd to pull up a relatively obscure D-II collegiate athlete gone fourth round pick and backup in an XBOX Live lobby. It's just not usual conversation fodder.

If it's in an XBOX lobby it's fact. Plain and simple.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

its science.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not sure Barbre will be a better player than Colledge; I like them both. But i do believe Barbre will be a better Guard. Colledge is a Tackle, plain and simple, and that's what he'll be when Cliffy retires.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i'm not sure Barbre will be a better player than Colledge; I like them both. But i do believe Barbre will be a better Guard. Colledge is a Tackle, plain and simple, and that's what he'll be when Cliffy retires.

I'll take this a step further, if the coaches feel Babre is as good as Colledge right now, then the change should be made. Colledge could then platoon some with Clifton as his eventual replacement. I thought Colledge did a good job last year in spot duty at left tackle. Clifton has been a great player for us, but we all must see that he is breaking down physically.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
evad04 said:

its science.

Its truth.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Trom,

I don't blame MS for everything. He did good things, and a lot of bad things. And we must learn from those bad things(like trying to be GM\Coach, killing the cap, forcing draft picks to play even if they suck, trading picks to get punters,etc). But yeah, cry for Mike Sherman if you must. Whatever.

You sure do pick your spots. Go back to being invisible.

I only pick my spots when you try and re-write Packer history.
I am not the one who mentioned MS's name, I believe that was you, and yes you have to always try and find someone to blame for everything, mostly it has been MS the past 3 years.
The difference between me and you is this...I am a supporter of any player who is wearing the Green and Gold,I was a MS Supporter when he was HC, then GM/HC, When TT was hired I became a TT and MS supporter, when MS was fired, I became a TT and MM supporter, you on the other hand only support the Players,coaches and GM's that you like.

Of all those thousands of posts you have made probably 1/3 of them are about trashing a player or coach, expressing how bad they suck, try and find 1 post I have made that is negative about any Packer.

What happens if The Pack doesn't make it to The Superbowl in the next two or three years, how long before you start ranting and raving about the terrible job TT is doing?
Remember history usually repeats itself so it won't be long if things don't go the way you want them to.

Now back on subject, The more young guys who have to battle for a starting spot on the o-line the better, Cliffy and Tausch aren't getting any younger.
I would really like to see one of the young guys show enough ability to be able to start at one of the tackle positions, then if needed Clifton or Tauscher could be moved to guard at some point and maybe play another year or two longer than if they had to play tackle.

Youth is addictave, but remember experience usually wins over youth.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people with positive opinion interacting with people who have negative opinion is what makes this site the best. Some fans support the current Packers implicitly. others don't. I come here to talk about that. I'd appreciate if you both kept doing what you're doing.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He added 16 pounds of lean muscle mass and lost 10 pounds of fat as measured by a body composition scan the Packers purchased last year."

The Packers Purchased A Body Composition Scan?

What the hell is a "Body Composition Scan?

I looked it up on the net, and here is a Q and A I found......

What is a Body Composition Scan?

A body composition scan will measure the amount of bone, fat and muscle within your body i.e. your body composition. It is a very simple procedure. You will be asked to undress and put on a gown, then lie on your back on a bed. A scanning arm will then pass over your whole body. You will not go through a tunnel and you will not have an injection. It is a painless procedure.

How Long Will It Take?

The total appointment time is 20 minutes with 5 minutes actual scanning time. Are there any side effects? Body composition scans are among the safest diagnostic imaging tests available. The amount of radiation involved is much less than that received during a low dose chest x-ray.

Do I Need To Prepare For The Scan?

Damn Right You Do. You need to work out every morning, attend all O.T.O's and remember we are going to scan you again at the start and end of Training Camp.

Can I Still Take My Normal Medication?

Yes, continue as usual, as long as it is not Steroids, H.G.H. Marijuana or Cocaine or strippers.

Will It Hurt?

No. But if you ask that question you will be traded to the Vikings.

What Happens To The Results?

The results will be sent to the doctor, then to T.T. and M.M. Your Diagnosis Results will then be recorded and you may then be asked to make a career adjustment based on the results.

I wonder if this Body Composition Scanner can also measure "Heart" As in the heart you have to have to be a champion that goes beyond a Body Scan or talent?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Sherman also punted on 4th and 1 from the opponent's 40 yard line when we had not one, not two, but THREE RBs who averaged 5+ yards a carry.

Aaarrrgh! Why did you have to bring up his name? I was in a good mood this morning. Next thing, you're going to start talking about A**** Ca****.
YOU SAID A**** CA****!!!!!! AAAARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :lol:

To me, Sherman had a Super Bowl quality team handed to him, and squandered it with bad play calling, and bad GM moves.
He was a nice guy and i liked him as a person..........but at the most important times he seemed to not have a clue. That 4th and one punting call just about killed me. I mean, if you don't make it, at least the other team is on thier 40, not on your end of the field. And a punt into the endzone only nets you 20 yards. To me, a no brainer to go for it when you have such a strong run team in that situation.
But thats just me.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

Wolf put together that line. Cliffy, Wahle, Flanny, Rivera, and Tauscher were all Wolf picks. He also made the running game by trading for Green, and drafting Hendo. You can throw in the drafting of a solid blocker in Franks as well.

The players in that running game were all Wolf.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts