comments??

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i read that earlier. this is the 'favre speculation of the week.' not retire or not to retire...but

'Favre wants to play somewhere else' is the news of the week. Right. How he got that from THOSE comments is amazing.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment is he is stoned as are a majority of ESPN "EXPERTS" he is using the situation to create sensationalism like everything else in the media. And if I was TT and Favre demanded a trade I would treat him Like Javon Walker and call him on the fact that he is under contract just like Brett did to Javon. If Brett demanded a trade I would never condone retiring his number in GB never in a million years. He has said he will retire a Packer and I hold the man to that HIS WORD.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Whitlock is one of the few decent writers on Page 2. He's way off base on this one though. Oh well, he needed something to right and you have to repect him for not taking the - Detroit native Jerome 'from Detroit' Bettis plays Super Bowl in his hometown of Detroit - angle.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry be the one to tell you this...

But this story is dead on balls accurate....

(I said this a week ago...)

What more does Favre have to do for some of you people? The last 6 years of his career was squandered by an inept coaching staff and GM...Now TT is in full scale rebuilding mode...and Favre wants a chance to go back to the big dance. What's so wrong about that?

Give the guy a break...He's done all he can do with declining talent and coaching ability around him..and maybe want to sign with a team on the verge of going to the SB in the next year or two....

Not retire his number in GB? Balderdash..I say..!!!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone should copy the text of this here so it doesn't "disapear" into cyberspace when this turns out to be the full on load of crap that it is.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

What more does Favre have to do for some of you people? The last 6 years of his career was squandered by an inept coaching staff and GM...Now TT is in full scale rebuilding mode...and Favre wants a chance to go back to the big dance. What's so wrong about that?

Give the guy a break...He's done all he can do with declining talent and coaching ability around him..and maybe want to sign with a team on the verge of going to the SB in the next year or two....

Pack you know you cannot have it both ways. You *****ed about Sherossley and demanded that TT fire him. So he does and now you ***** about TT. And no I do not think they should retire his number if he demands a trade imo if he does that he his a BIG OLD HIPOCRIT plain and simple. He cannot go back on his word is all I am saying. I believe Brett is an honorable man and that the article was all BS speculation just like the retirement talk.

I believe he will be back in Green and Gold or not at all sorry but I firmly believe that a man sticks by his word period. I will demand TT's head if he trades him as well.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly had the same thought when I heard Favre's interview i.e. that he was trying to hint that he wanted to be released or traded. I think he'll just retire though instead of coming out and saying he wants out of Green Bay.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Ryan's suggestion :p :

By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

Brett Favre does not want to retire.

I repeat: Brett Favre has zero interest in leaving the game of football.

Is Brett Favre discouraged? Yes. But that doesn't mean he wants to retire.
Do you understand me?

Favre's latest Barbara Walters-style interview, with ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Sunday, is being totally misinterpreted by the football media.

Because Favre said this, "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back," people actually believe Favre is leaning toward retirement.

He's not. In my opinion, having studied his words very carefully, having reflected on where he is in his career, I believe Favre is simply laying the foundation for his exit out of Green Bay and into a new uniform.

In my opinion, that's what he wants, and that's what we all deserve. Why no one else seems to recognize what Favre is doing is baffling to me.

The incompetence of the Mike Holmgren/Ron Wolf/Reggie White-less Packers is pushing Favre toward retirement, and Favre finally is pushing back. By spilling his innermost rhetoric to Mort, Favre handed Packers general manager Ted Thompson the wiggle room he needs to deal the Packers icon to a playoff-ready franchise without mobilizing a Wisconsin lynch mob.

"When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," said Favre, who also said he should be "cut loose" if Thompson doesn't want to wait on a decision.

Favre wants a ticket out of town because it's no fun playing for the Packers anymore and, at 36, he can't waste any more years waiting for Thompson and Co. to restore the fun. Green Bay quit being fun when Holmgren packed up his clipboards and moved to Seattle. Green Bay turned downright disgusting last year when Favre suffered through his first losing season and threw 29 interceptions in a futile and embarrassing attempt to turn Packer chicken poop into chicken salad.

Thompson torpedoed any thoughts of things getting better quickly when he tagged the Doogie Howser architect of the league's worst offense -- San Francisco's Mike McCarthy -- to fix Green Bay's mess.

Can you blame Favre for wanting out?

His footballogical clock is ticking, and he's being held hostage in Green Bay. He knows he can still play. He believes his last-minute meltdowns and interceptions are a byproduct of being forced to play Rambo every Sunday.

"I still know I can play," Favre told Mort. "I still love to play. But there's just so much more to it than that now. I never thought it would be complicated, never thought mentally I would give out before I did physically."

Let me tell you what's complicated. Favre knows that if he says what he really thinks -- perhaps "I'd like to finish my career down south, preferably with the Dolphins, because I don't want to waste time with Green Bay's rebuilding project. It was fun playing in Green Bay for Mike and Ron and with Reggie. But I'm a good old boy from the sticks, and I'd be happier finishing this thing up down in the humidity" -- Packers fans would feel betrayed by Favre and want to kill Thompson.

Favre doesn't want to disturb his legacy or cost Thompson his job. Favre is trying to take the high road. He's trying to worm his way into a Miami or Tampa Bay uniform subtly.

Favre has given Green Bay everything he has. Now it's time for Green Bay to let him go.
But we, the media, won't cooperate. We refuse to take the obvious bait and start writing and discussing how Favre has done all he can for football's most revered franchise and city and how it's best for the team, the league and Favre for the Packers to trade their gunslinger to a contender.

"I love the team, I love the Packers, and it's not about me, it's about everyone involved, and I want to make the right decision for everyone involved," Favre told Mort.

If we, the media, don't begin to cooperate, one of two things is going to happen:

1. Favre will retire and most of the NFL's TV broadcasters will lose 65 percent of their material, which will cause a commentary crisis like we haven't seen since Larry Bird's retirement.

2. Out of frustration, Favre will lose it and incinerate the entire state of Wisconsin by spelling out his trade demands.

I'm banking on the latter. I've seen it a million times. I've lived it. Favre is a super competitor who still wants to compete. He's working for incompetents. It's a bad recipe.

Favre wants to depart with a little class. Those of us in the media can facilitate the process by participating in the "Free Favre Movement." It's a positive spin-off of the "Fire Millen Movement."

We need to explain to the people of Wisconsin why trading Favre for a couple of draft picks and putting the ball into the hands of developing second-year QB Aaron Rodgers is the best thing for the Packers organization, Favre's sanity and John Madden's broadcasting career.

Heck, the league would be better served showcasing Favre on a playoff team rather than watching him throw late-game interceptions on a bad squad.

Free Favre, Wisconsin. You've enjoyed him long enough.

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for The Kansas City Star. His newspaper is celebrating his 10 years as a columnist with the publishing of Jason's first book, "Love Him, Hate Him: 10 Years of Sports, Passion and Kansas City." It's a collection of Jason's most memorable, thought-provoking and funny columns over the past decade. You can purchase the book at TheKansasCityStore.com. Jason can be reached by e-mail at [email protected]

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Journalists and Weathermen have such an easy job. They can say whatever they dang well please and still get their paycheck even if they are WAY off.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
P@ck66 said:

That contradicts what Favre has been saying for years. He has always said he doesn't want to play for another team. He even said it in the interview with Mort that Whitlock is analyzing. He jsut choose to leave that out b/c it doesn't support his thesis. Another classic rule of journalism apparently.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be interesting if he did play for another team, really.

I suppose in the era of free agency the Pack could have an outstanding draft, pick up a few (dozen) players in FA and contend next year with Favre at the helm.

Prevailing wisdom says it doesn't happen next year. I'd be curious to see if Favre can take it to the big one with a solid team elsewhere. I do acknowledge that he did not have much talent to work with last year either in the backfield or on the in the lanes. There were some rumors floating around last year about Gruden making a play for him. I don't know why the writer suggested the Dolphins. Do they run the WCO?

Naturally I would love to see him retire a Packer but, still, I'd be curious. If the Pack ever played against him, I'd darn sure be rootin' for the Pack. I wonder if there are some Packer fans that can't say that.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say I disagree with most of you. Jason Whitlock is one of the better writers on espn.com. Just like any sports writer, he misses sometimes, but he's dead on a lot of the time. Read this article if you want a less biased opinion of his writing.

Whitlock Article

Also, how can you not see Favre's interest in playing somewhere else?

from espn:
"I'd like to wait till training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

Favre said he's told Packers general manager Ted Thompson recently that if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

This sounds to me like he's posturing himself to worm out and join a team after the June 1st cuts. As for saying that he won't play for another team, he says he wouldn't play for another team to protect his image. If he can make it look like it was the best decision for the franchise to cut him, then he can go to another team with little damage to his rep.

TT had the chance to keep Favre by hiring Bates or another competant coach and decided to hand the reigns over to the guy who ran the worst offense in the league last year. I wish Favre well in whatever he decides even if that means he wears another Uniform. How can we as fans honestly say that Brett owes it to us to retire a Packer? How selfish is that?

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also employ a lot of good writers (simmons, mortenson, gammons, etc.). Hell of a rebuttal.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a couple of you guys are basically calling Favre a liar. I have no problem with Whitnit printing this......Brett sells. Any Packer fan knows that Brett has stated all along he will never wear another teams uniform. I guess Brett is just a flat out liar...........P@ck66. Say it out loud 66, Brett Favre is a no good liar!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Just how BORED are we? geepers

no ****, zero - now we want to argue about what some espn writer said that favre said that espn is reading into what favre was thinking when he said...aaaaaaahhhh fugettit!!!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sooo tired of the line "Brett has said he will never play for anyone else" used everytime the issue of him possibly going somewhere else comes up. Interesting fact - this line has not been used by him this year.

Sure he has stated that in the past, BUT that was BEFORE things became "Complicated" as he delicately puts it. Maybe the man should be allowed to change his mind based on what he sees with the Green Bay Organizations Direction ?

P@ck 66 is right and for anyone who does not believe wanting out of this mess is a slight possibility, please explain what you think Brett means by the word "COMPLICATED" ?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at it this way.......you get 100 different "sports" writers, 100 different opinions. Then, the ONE that ends up being right pounds his chest,says SEE! I told you so! and the rest of the articles are forgotton. Like Ryan said, someone should copy it, so when it turns out to be BS, it can be thrown back in his face. The only one that counts is what FAVRE says. When he says "I want to be traded" THEN i will believe it. Otherwise, it's ALL just a guessing game........like weathermen!!! :D

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOLOL Packfaninbucland!!! I remember how well THAT went! Maybe we could see if we can get Jerry Tagge to back him up! :lol:

Members online

Latest posts