Coming to Green Bay

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly think that because Brett is returning that completely erases the possibility of issues between the two? No.

Elway HATED Dan Reeves. Did Elway quit? That is one of a long line of examples of situation where a star player had an issue with "management". They NEVER quit. The money is way too good.

My opinion, and it isn't fact based, nor is yours for that matter, that Ted and Brett aren't fans of each other. I truly believe Ted would like to see Favre's cap number drastically diminished by his retirement announcement. Ted has a cheaper alternative in Rodgers just ready to go and that's HIS QB. I've watched TT's words closely over the years in reference to Favre. Ted doesn't seem to ME to be particularly enthused about Favre's return, this year, or last.

It is another piece of annecdotal evidence...but... the two guys Brett supposedly really wanted and WAS ON THE PHONE WITH.... Lavar Arrington and Randy Moss didn't end up signing with us. I know you all have your other theories as to why Moss didn't happen. I, for one, believe that rumor from the OFFICIAL Favre board. Just trying to put myself in Brett's place, I'd be pissed that this is likely my last season and this is the best my GM can do to set me up for one last hurrah? I'd then look at the cap money we still have sitting there and I'd start wondering, if I didn't already know, if there was some problem between the GM and I.

I don't want Ricky and I don't think he'd want Green Bay. Although, the name GREEN Bay might raise his eyebrow some.

Here's the headline if we sign Ricky....

****Holy SMOKE! Ted finally WEEDS through free agency and solves CHRONIC RB problem****

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre doesn't run this team Ted Thompson does. Which player in this league can demand players? None.

Ted Thompson knows much better how to run a successful football organisation than Favre does. You are putting Favre over the organisation and that is just plain wrong.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Do you honestly think that because Brett is returning that completely erases the possibility of issues between the two? No.

Elway HATED Dan Reeves. Did Elway quit? That is one of a long line of examples of situation where a star player had an issue with "management". They NEVER quit. The money is way too good.

My opinion, and it isn't fact based, nor is yours for that matter, that Ted and Brett aren't fans of each other. I truly believe Ted would like to see Favre's cap number drastically diminished by his retirement announcement. Ted has a cheaper alternative in Rodgers just ready to go and that's HIS QB. I've watched TT's words closely over the years in reference to Favre. Ted doesn't seem to ME to be particularly enthused about Favre's return, this year, or last.

It is another piece of annecdotal evidence...but... the two guys Brett supposedly really wanted and WAS ON THE PHONE WITH.... Lavar Arrington and Randy Moss didn't end up signing with us. I know you all have your other theories as to why Moss didn't happen. I, for one, believe that rumor from the OFFICIAL Favre board. Just trying to put myself in Brett's place, I'd be pissed that this is likely my last season and this is the best my GM can do to set me up for one last hurrah? I'd then look at the cap money we still have sitting there and I'd start wondering, if I didn't already know, if there was some problem between the GM and I.

I don't want Ricky and I don't think he'd want Green Bay. Although, the name GREEN Bay might raise his eyebrow some.

Here's the headline if we sign Ricky....

****Holy SMOKE! Ted finally WEEDS through free agency and solves CHRONIC RB problem****

Umm, the friction between Elway and Reeves led to Reeves departure and I believe Elway was a few years younger and retirement wasn't as it imminent as it is now for Brett.
Elway was 32 and still a game changing QB.
Favre at 38 is still a good QB, but not the game changer he once was.

Elway vs Reeves is a poor comparison to Brett vs Ted.

Elway was public with his dislike of Reeves.
Brett has supported Ted, atleast publicly.
Not sure if that means anything, just throwing that out there.

Regarding signing Ricky. NO one is going to say he is our cure for the RB position, no one. He's too stoned to see the lanes to run through.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which player can demand players? Do you know what goes on in private quarters?

Just look at NE. Tom Brady *****ed about Deion Branch going to Seattle and was very upset about losing his offensive weapons. What did NE do this off-season....How about RANDY MOSS, DONTE STALLWORTH, WES WELKER...they doled out multi-millions of dollars to the WR position. Why? You honestly don't think it had anything to do with Brady's concerns? I find that impossible to believe.

Of course, the GM runs the team. If the GM happens to be fond of a particular player he can and will often cater to his wishes. The reverse is also true. I don't think Ted cares at all what Brett thinks and I think that's the correct approach. I think a lot of fans do think Favre does, or should, dictate moves. I'm glad he doesn't. He's yesterday's news. He isn't going to be here much longer but our TEAM will.

By the way, it might be interesting to read a Mike Vandermausse column on Bob Harlan's big mistake of listening to Favre on Mike Sherman. It's at Packersnews.com .... can't miss it if you go. It'll defeat your contention that players don't wield great influence. Some do and Brett did. I'm glad it's in PRINT or you'd never take my word for it.

My point is.... I don't believe Brett and Ted have a very good relationship.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
i would take him

Listen up "YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!!"

Banned is Banned.
He owes the Dolphins 8 million dollars that he spent years ago.
He failed yet another drug test in April( Now that is going to impress Roger Goodell.)

Get serious.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Which player can demand players? Do you know what goes on in private quarters?

Just look at NE. Tom Brady *****ed about Deion Branch going to Seattle and was very upset about losing his offensive weapons. What did NE do this off-season....How about RANDY MOSS, DONTE STALLWORTH, WES WELKER...they doled out multi-millions of dollars to the WR position. Why? You honestly don't think it had anything to do with Brady's concerns? I find that impossible to believe.

Of course, the GM runs the team. If the GM happens to be fond of a particular player he can and will often cater to his wishes. The reverse is also true. I don't think Ted cares at all what Brett thinks and I think that's the correct approach. I think a lot of fans do think Favre does, or should, dictate moves. I'm glad he doesn't. He's yesterday's news. He isn't going to be here much longer but our TEAM will.

By the way, it might be interesting to read a Mike Vandermausse column on Bob Harlan's big mistake of listening to Favre on Mike Sherman. It's at Packersnews.com .... can't miss it if you go. It'll defeat your contention that players don't wield great influence. Some do and Brett did. I'm glad it's in PRINT or you'd never take my word for it.

My point is.... I don't believe Brett and Ted have a very good relationship.

lmao you think that has anything to do with Tom Brady? It's about WINNING, not appeasing a QB. I'm not saying his comments had no effect, I'm sure they were in the minds of those making the decisions, but to say it was all about Tom Brady, that's downright foolish talk.

I never said Brett had no influence, where the hell do you come up with this ****? The talk was about Ted not liking Brett or vice versa.

I also said there was friction between Elway and Reeves which lead to Reeves leading. Who had the influence? Elway, he was still a game changer at age 32.

This is getting old having to restate the already said to you bro. Think before you post and understand the post you read an are replying to.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Cant find it?? Care to link it for us?

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Docs recommend delay of Williams' NFL reinstatement By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources said.

Williams was suspended last year for violation of the substance abuse policy and was eligible to be reinstated this month, but the league's medical advisors that oversee Williams' personal rehabilitation program recently notified commissioner Roger Goodell of the positive test, sources said.

The doctors also recommended that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement until September, sources said. The commissioner usually adheres to the advice of the medical advisors under the substance abuse policy.

"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab," a source said. "Based on the medical evidence in Ricky's case, the doctors say it's too early to come back. He had the positive test last month. Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like marijuana, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL would have no comment, as did Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene.

David Cornwell, an attorney who has represented Williams during his substance abuse cases, said he would honor the confidentiality policies in effect with another no comment.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
i would take him

Listen up "YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!!"

Banned is Banned.
He owes the Dolphins 8 million dollars that he spent years ago.
He failed yet another drug test in April( Now that is going to impress Roger Goodell.)

Get serious.

It is a mute topic anyway if he failed another test....

But by comming out of retirement and suiting up for the Fins... it nulled the claim to recapture the signing bonus. If he would have been reinstated and cut... the Fins again had no claim to the bonus.

However if he has failed this test again... they may have grounds to reopen the judgement on a pro-rated basis from the original claim.

Again.. if he tested positive... mute point.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT would not give up a 4th rnd pick for Randy Moss, why would he give a 4th rnd pick for Ricky Wiliams?

Maybe we can trade for John Hadle, he's available.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
TT would not give up a 4th rnd pick for Randy Moss, why would he give a 4th rnd pick for Ricky Wiliams?

Maybe we can trade for John Hadle, he's available.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That is twice today that name has appeared on this here board... talk about bad karma :)

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson wouldn't give up a 4th round pick for Moss when Moss didn't want to restructure.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Oannes said:

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause column: Dual roles for Sherman one of Harlan’s most controversial decisions By Mike Vandermause

Naming Mike Sherman as general manager and coach of the Green Bay Packers in 2001 will go down as one of Bob Harlan’s most controversial decisions during his 18-year tenure as head of the team.

The move ran contrary to the way Harlan believes the organization should be structured. It put incredible pressure on one man to perform two huge jobs. It resulted in some below-average drafts because Sherman had no prior experience in personnel decisions. And it led to the eventual ouster of Sherman, first as general manager, then as coach.

Knowing all that, Harlan said in an interview last week he would likely do the same thing over again. But that doesn’t mean he hasn’t second-guessed himself.

“The thing I still wrestle with a little bit is what happened when Mike Sherman got both jobs, because it’s not my favorite way to go,” said Harlan, who will retire at the end of the month after a 36-year career with the Packers. “I don’t like one person having both jobs.”

But Harlan said there were unique circumstances leading to his decision to put Sherman in charge of the football operation after Ron Wolf unexpectedly retired.

Sherman had just completed his first season as coach in 2000 and appeared to have the Packers back on track after the one-year failed regime of Ray Rhodes. The Packers won their final four games to finish 9-7, quarterback Brett Favre was glowing in his praise of team chemistry, and Wolf recommended Sherman for the job.

“It would have been tough for me to go in another direction,” said Harlan. “I just didn’t want to bring anybody in over Mike and disrupt what he was getting started.”

It was hard to argue with Harlan’s decision when the Packers posted back-to-back 12-4 records in 2001 and 2002. But the team didn’t fare well in the playoffs, and Sherman’s drafting inexperience would eventually prove costly. Sherman traded too many draft picks, and with a few exceptions, the ones he selected didn’t pan out.

Sherman spent only three seasons as an NFL assistant coach and one year as a head coach before he was handed the keys to the Packers’ franchise. That alone should have given Harlan pause.

Harlan’s other misjudgment was reading too much into Favre’s statement about team chemistry being at an all-time high under Sherman. Favre tends to ramble when speaking publicly, and it’s not advisable to base a decision on one of his isolated comments.

To his credit, Harlan stripped Sherman of his GM duties when he saw it wasn’t working. A leader must be willing to admit a mistake, and Harlan essentially did that when he hired Ted Thompson as general manager.

“I just felt it was too much for one person,” Harlan said of Sherman. “It was wearing on him. He’d become a different person. He stopped talking to people. I saw it on the plane every weekend when we traveled. I saw it in the hallways downstairs. He’d become cold to people.”

Who can blame Sherman for becoming consumed with the burden of two demanding jobs?

Harlan should have followed the same instinct that in 1991 compelled him to hire Wolf and take personnel decisions out of the hands of the head coach.

Had he done that in 2001, the Packers could have had an experienced general manager, and Sherman could have focused on coaching, which is what he did best.

It’s a mistake the Packers should never make again.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

judge for yourself but I don't think this said what oannes thought it said.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Oannes said:

Harlan’s other misjudgment was reading too much into Favre’s statement about team chemistry being at an all-time high under Sherman. Favre tends to ramble when speaking publicly, and it’s not advisable to base a decision on one of his isolated comments.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts