College Football Strength of Schedule List

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few months ago on my website (PhilSteele.com) I gave you all of the toughest schedules using the NCAA method of determining toughest schedules which is last year’s record. This method has some major flaws which I have pointed out in my Toughest Schedule article on pages 317 and 318 of the magazine over the past few years (don’t have the magazine yet? Log on to PhilSteele.com and order yours today!). I was very proud to be the first to determine those percentages as we put it on the website two days after the last schedule was finalized.

Today I give you the actual toughest schedules for each of this year’s teams. A couple of quick examples is that in my toughest schedule ranking LSU, which was 8-5 last year and is a Top 10 team, is graded by their 2009 power rating and not last year’s 8-5 record. Using the NCAA method a team like Utah that was 13-0 last year but has just 12 returning starters is graded as a much tougher opponent due to last year’s record. Also a IAA (or FCS) team with a winning record from last year is graded to be a much tougher opponent than a team such as Illinois which was 5-7 last year, but is a team I think will be in a Jan bowl. Also Michigan is a legitimate bowl squad this year but you only get credit for playing a weak 3-9 team using last year’s record.I go much more in depth in this year’s magazine article but here is the

PHIL STEELE’S 2009 TOUGHEST SCHEDULE:
1 South Carolina
2 Florida St
3 Oklahoma
4 Mississippi St
5 Minnesota
6 Arkansas
7 Georgia
8 Virginia Tech
9 Tennessee
10 Michigan St

See entire list...

Source: Orlando Sentinal

Very interesting list if you want to get in the mood to talk some college football. My Trojans are right at 17.

ImOpen475

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh sweet another Trojan fan. I'm pretty sure there will be some SEC fans who'll try and discredit the list Since Florida is way down at 34. I like The Trojans at 17 as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts