Colledge works out at home

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...voluntary.html

No longer a threat, Colledge not going to voluntary work outs.

I guess it makes sense, he has to sign the one year deal to work out with the team, by not signing leaves the door open for another team to make him an offer and sending the Pack a 2nd round pick.

This could be a good thing for the Packers. His agent must think there is a strong possibility that another team has interest and willing to give up a 2nd round pick. By not coming to the work outs does nothing to help him sign a long term deal with the Pack, if anything is closing that door.

If not this is a very bad move for Colledge, either way the Pack is in good shape. IMO the Pack has 2 players that can start at guard, Lang and Spitz, not to mention the outside possibility of Barbre. Because of Barbre's athletic ability he was assumed to be an excellent candidate for the right tackle, but his mechanics are probably better suited for the guard position.

So either Colledge has interest from other teams or a very bad agent.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Colledge isn't deserving of a long term deal with us. I just wonder which teams are exactly interested in him b/c I'd like to know whether it's a high or low 2nd rounder that we'd be getting.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing that could be missed in all this, is this zone blocking scheme. Colledge may feel that this does not fit his skills and he is better suited toward the more traditional blocking scheme.

In this regards I kind of understand Colledge's issue (in regards to the zone blocking scheme), maybe thats what he is saying when he refers to the plays that are called, mistakes by other lineman and communication break downs of the zone blocking scheme were not running smoothly, making him look worse than he really is.

If given the chance to run a more traditional scheme, he would be worth what he is seeking.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Colledge isn't deserving of a long term deal with us. I just wonder which teams are exactly interested in him b/c I'd like to know whether it's a high or low 2nd rounder that we'd be getting.

At this point I would be happy to get a 3rd round pick for him and just part ways.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing that could be missed in all this, is this zone blocking scheme. Colledge may feel that this does not fit his skills and he is better suited toward the more traditional blocking scheme.

In this regards I kind of understand Colledge's issue (in regards to the zone blocking scheme), maybe thats what he is saying when he refers to the plays that are called, mistakes by other lineman and communication break downs of the zone blocking scheme were not running smoothly, making him look worse than he really is.

If given the chance to run a more traditional scheme, he would be worth what he is seeking.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm not entirely sure on how the ZBS works but its used more to help the running game more than the pass. Colledge has been in the league for 4 years now. So if the ZBS explains for his unproductive season in 09 it doesn't explain '07 and some of '08 either.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure on how the ZBS works but its used more to help the running game more than the pass. Colledge has been in the league for 4 years now. So if the ZBS explains for his unproductive season in 09 it doesn't explain '07 and some of '08 either.
i agree completely..like stated before i would be happy with a 3rd rounder for him

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ZBS nor the shift from LG to LT explain his poor play.

I just don't understand why does he think he has any leverage, when he is a RFA, and when he has someone as competent as him, if not more, competing for the same spot...

If Nick Collins were to hold out, we'd be in trouble.

He didn't, and got rewarded.

Learn from it Daryn.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can kind of see this like the Kampman situation. Both players are doing something they are not comfortable with, but it was what the Packers were doing and with reservations tried to do the best they could as professionals and good Packer people.

In the end Kampman had a choice and took the option that best served him with a long term deal in a position and scheme he is comfortable with.

Colledge in the back of his mind would rather be on a more traditional blocking scheme in which he thinks he would flourish, thus warranting him a good long term deal. He finds himself stuck with an unrealistic tender, no long term deal, and trying to perform in a situation he is uncomfortable with. It not like Green Bay has an excellent O-line coach that is really helping him out to be the best he can be in this zone blocking scheme.

It would not surprise me that Colledge gets more vocal and detailed in his discontent in the days coming.

IMO this offseason a new O-line coach should have been sought.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can kind of see this like the kampman situation. Both players are doing something they are not comfortable with, but it was what the packers were doing and with reservations tried to do the best they could as professionals and good packer people.

In the end kampman had a choice and took the option that best served him with a long term deal in a position and scheme he is comfortable with.

Colledge in the back of his mind would rather be on a more traditional blocking scheme in which he thinks he would flourish, thus warranting him a good long term deal. He finds himself stuck with an unrealistic tender, no long term deal, and trying to perform in a situation he is uncomfortable with. It not like green bay has an excellent o-line coach that is really helping him out to be the best he can be in this zone blocking scheme.

It would not surprise me that colledge gets more vocal and detailed in his discontent in the days coming.

imo this offseason a new o-line coach should have been sought.

bingo! I'd really like James Patton O-line coach from the Oklahoma Sooners.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about the Colledge situation the more I have concern about our o-line. I think we have bigger issues than we realize and signing 2 guys who served us well in the past is giving us a false sense of security next year.

True problem is not talent nor the true fix is the draft, but rather the scheme and the coaching.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to get a 2nd round pick.......for a gaurd that.....in a nut shell.....sucks.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should just stick to interviewing the Packer players... he does well with that... "The Colledge Experiance"
Actually.....he should stop doing interveiws.......and think about how he can perform better on the field.......like working out more....and spending more time with the coaches........and watching film.

packerpower

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is a BUM! When I played football, we all worked out together in the weight room. We built TEAMWORK and LEADERSHIP. Not by sitting at home with a couple of dumbell weights while watching daytime television.

NO WONDER our o-line has been struggling...

Ted, fix this ASAP if you want to keep your JOB>.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is a BUM! When I played football, we all worked out together in the weight room. We built TEAMWORK and LEADERSHIP. Not by sitting at home with a couple of dumbell weights while watching daytime television.

NO WONDER our o-line has been struggling...

Ted, fix this ASAP if you want to keep your JOB>.

Colledge has to sign his tender in order to work out with the team. There is an off chance that after the draft somebody may be interested in him, at that point the Packers can work a deal for lower than the 2nd round pick.

There is still a chance something could be done before this years draft, so by Colledge not signing is a good thing for both the Packers and Colledge.

This is not a hold out, a hold out is a player under contract refusing to participate. Havner had not signed his tender, hoping another team would offer him a better deal and he would have also been a no show at these work outs.

Blackmon signed because he has had major knee surgery and is hoping for a roster spot, almost no chance anybody will give up anything to sign him.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the depth in OL at this year's draft and incredible talent coming out, I would be pretty happy if TT traded up into the top 12 to get an immediate replacement for him. There are some studs out there, hopefully TT knows something we don't here.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the depth in OL at this year's draft and incredible talent coming out, I would be pretty happy if TT traded up into the top 12 to get an immediate replacement for him. There are some studs out there, hopefully TT knows something we don't here.

Don't know if I would trade up that far. Maybe 5 or 6 slots max

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not quite sure I understand your logic? You say there is great depth at OL but yet you want to trade away picks to get one of the top ones. Wouldn't the fact that there is great depth at the position be a good reason to not trade away picks and take two later in the draft?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts