Colledge demoted

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jsonline:
No one on the starting offensive line played particularly well against San Diego, but Colledge probably struggled the most. He was a step behind on too many plays and did not get his pads down low enough to be effective in the running game.

The coaches insisted that the moves were not necessarily permanent and that Colledge, who practiced at left guard with the second team, could earn his way back into the lineup. But after being named a starter practically from the day he was drafted, the 6-foot-4, 299-pound Colledge got every opportunity to prove himself.

"I use the analogy that when you're sick, you need medicine," offensive line coach Joe Philbin said of Colledge's future. "You either react to it and get worse or respond to it and get better. He had to take a dose of medicine today. I think he's going to respond well and he'll get better."
-----------------
At least its being addressed, and not ignored for 10 weeks like sherman.

I hope colledge comes around SOON, instead of later. :(

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman did not ignore, TT did. Did not sign Wahle and what has he done to bring in any quality free agents. No improvement in line from last year that I see and if you expect a rookie from Boise State to be an instant starter you are delusional.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You knew that someone had to be demoted. Our line performed awfully. We could run block, we couldn't pass block. I was shocked we could be all on the same snap count. (at least there is a positve there). Hopefully, the next game will be better.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that this is a good example of why I like MM. Colledge had a really bad game....light a fire under his *** and make him reclaim a starting position. Nothing inspires like a demotion with the opportunity to reclaim what you believe to be yours.

You know, the reality is that short of Hutchinson, there were not any decent guards available in FA the last several years. A lot of well-travelled journeymen, but nothing that would have made a whole hell of a lotta difference. Kinda like going to the store and noticing that the lettuce is all brown and gooey and having your family ***** that there is no salad with dinner in the evening.

Get over Wahle....for 2 years the guy hinted that he was gone...and his $ was so f@cked up from the previous regime as to make him damn near impossible to keep...even if he was inclined to do so.

Does everyone forget the comments he made in interviews about feeling like he "was not valued by MS like the other OL".....and other similar cracks. He was already gone.

Wah, wah, wah...live in the present and hope for the future.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Wah, wah, wah...live in the present and hope for the future.

I trust this comment was made to your buddy trom and not pax. It was trom who brought up the past just to rip Sherman. It was pax that rightfully responded.

Can't have it both ways....continually ripping Sherman AND telling people to live in the present :wink:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have just grown tired of all the backward glances. We have some young and talented guys, they will do nothing but improve. Really, there is much to be excited over.

Any discussion about this team will involve some comparisons to the past as a point of reference....but some people canot seem to get past it....on both sides of the great TT/MS divide.

Reaction score
digsthepack said:
During the first half of his tenure...yes. Then he mucked it all up.

You said:

digsthepack said:
Any discussion about this team will involve some comparisons to the past as a point of reference....but some people canot seem to get past it

:nono:

Wonder which category you fall into digsy. :p

(hehe, my bad for actually leading you there though) :wink:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This O-line debate has to go back and forth into the past and to the future. If we live in the now, we all get too depressed and menopausally.

The way I see it with Wahle, you have to go back to the year before with Clifton's contract. At that point, Sherman chose between the two of them and made the correct choice. Had Harlan not taken the GM duties from Sherman, MS would have had to cut Wahle loose as well. It was impossible to give Wahle the contract he had earned, and every rationale Packer knows this. Blaming TT for this is irresponsible.

Now, as far as TT not doing the job in replacing Wahle and Rivera, well so far the TT bashers are right. Pyle posted yesterday that Denver drafted Kuper from UND thats North Dakota not Notre Dame, and I agree with Pyle that we should have, because he may have won a job here.

Time will tell with these young O -lineman, but there is no quick fix possible here, and Packer fans better get to riding out this storm until we have a cohesive unit. I sure am not ready to throw in the towel, but then I was young, but I survived the 70's and 80's living in Viking country; I can weather this little snowstorm.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team goes through this. Michael Vick runs all the time, i think because no one is open and he has pressure from the D. It takes time for a o line to gel. Hopefully Favre will survive to see it happen.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AADP...thus far, I like just about everything that TT has done. However, I will not hesitate to change my stance if he makes a series of blunders that make all of his good move moot. A team is a rather dynamic entity that has its ebbs and flows...how is it right for a person to lock into an opinion and stick with it in the face of overwhelming evidence that says clearly the opinion is no longer warranted.

Anyone who has been part of the old forum knows that I defended MS before he became indefensible...same will hold true for TT...if he f@cks up badly in the future. Yes, I comment on the past for comparative purposess....but I do not reside there. And, yes...I look to the future with optimism...unless the evidence suggests otherwise.

Not too difficult.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...I do remember. I'm just not sure what there is to love about last years rookie crop. I'm as excited as cheesey at a Rodney Dangerfield concert about this years draft, but who knows?

Reaction score
ah digs, was joking old friend.

I undersatnd and agree with you. I support TT, and heck I still support Sherman. However, I'm keen to look to the future.

I think his drafts where desperately needed, because they add some much needed depth. However, I am beginning to think that he has taken a bit of a joke approach with the O-Line, and I will be dissapointed if it turns out the line is in shambles yet again.

Personally, the only thing I would have liked Ted to have done was step in and tell McCarthy to hire a more experienced DC. Otherwise, I don't think his gamble on a kicker will go sour, or anything else. Of course the O-line might prove to be another area, but I'll cross that bridge when I have to. It does sort of irritate me to no end that Favre has this type of team in his last year, but to blame TT for the completely wouldn't be fair, IMO.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A QB that appears to have the tools to take over. A starting safety. Cannot discount Murphy as it was an injury kill...but the kid appeared to have skills. Poppinga provides LB depth and is a ST demon. Underwood was showing well prior to injury.

Look...you confuse my being excited over that class like I said we landed a bunch of pro-bowlers. Never said that.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....appears......injury.....appeared to have skills.....was showing well.........

And if the King had ****, he'd be queen!!!!

C'mon.....say it with me....."the draft of 2005 sucked. Besides Collins, we got no help".....you'll feel much better AND nobody can call you a TT lover.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
A QB that appears to have the tools to take over. A starting safety. Cannot discount Murphy as it was an injury kill...but the kid appeared to have skills. Poppinga provides LB depth and is a ST demon. Underwood was showing well prior to injury.

Look...you confuse my being excited over that class like I said we landed a bunch of pro-bowlers. Never said that.

Oh here we go again, A QB that APPEARS. Murphy had 5 career catches.Poppinga is a walking injury. Underwood was 5 steps late on our 5th and 6th recievers. Where's Hawkins, Coston, Montgomery, Whittacker, Campbell, Bragg?

Aveerage draft at best thus far.

It actually is hilarious. If we are going on potential EVERY TEAM in EVERY YEAR of EVERY DRAFT had an Spectacular Draft.

I agree that locking on an opinion of one side is stupid but I wonder if using an excuse for poor mangement is ever NOT possible. Don't blame TT for O'Dwyer,Little,Freeman, etc because he had no money.Don't blame TT for Wahle leaving because Wahle wanted out. Don't blame TT forthis O-Line because there was noone out there to get. Don't blame TT for caving to Javon because Javon said he would not play for GB. Don't blame TT because he was not in town when AV came because AV wanted to kick in a dome so what's the point. There comes a point when the excuses HAVE to stop and TT needs to be held responsible!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to say he had a bad draft, because I think he did get some guys who could contribute, but it'll produce two starters at most (Murphy would have been a third). Ron wolf always said you needed to get three starters from a draft at minimum so I'll say it was average, which is really all you can expect when you start a draft with 6 picks, each at 24th or lower in the round. I think the best you can say is that TT showed he had an eye for talent and a penchant for picking the best player available, which should give most of us hope that the rebuilding process should not take too long.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are asking what was exciting about the draft? Yes, injuries have taken a toll, but the bottom line is that we now appear to be picking players with high football acumen and long records of collegiate performance. Something I never really saw previously.

That is what excites me...that we now draft football players instead of premium athletes with the potential to become football players.

Now really, don't you notice the difference in the general type of player we are taking these days? And don't dwell on the real late rounds (Whitticker) as most of these guys are nothing more than camp fodder under the best of circumstances.

Geez....go away for a week and you are just itching for a scrap!! LOL

DePack...the way you present the arguement, all players must start immediately and be fringe pro-bowlers to be of value. The team is rebuilding depth, finding some starters, and finding players to develop for the future. IMHO, the right way to conduct a draft.

Reaction score
To add to TO's point, I'd say that Ted also has shown that he is willing to trade down and gather more picks, something that increases the chances of himing finding a diamond in the rough. He seems to value the late picks more than Sherman, which can cause a potential huge difference right there.

I also agree with you digs, that the players being drafted now are actually football players who have had succes at playing football, as opposed to athletes who have stood out for the athleticism on the football field. It is a welcome change.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW...AADP not busting my balls!! LOL

Who cares if the 40 time is .1 second slower.....the guy hits, tackles and performs....he is a football player. I like this philosophy.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
digsthepack said:

Oh here we go again, A QB that APPEARS. Murphy had 5 career catches.Poppinga is a walking injury. Underwood was 5 steps late on our 5th and 6th recievers. Where's Hawkins, Coston, Montgomery, Whittacker, Campbell, Bragg?

Aveerage draft at best thus far.

It actually is hilarious. If we are going on potential EVERY TEAM in EVERY YEAR of EVERY DRAFT had an Spectacular Draft.

I agree that locking on an opinion of one side is stupid but I wonder if using an excuse for poor mangement is ever NOT possible. Don't blame TT for O'Dwyer,Little,Freeman, etc because he had no money.Don't blame TT for Wahle leaving because Wahle wanted out. Don't blame TT forthis O-Line because there was noone out there to get. Don't blame TT for caving to Javon because Javon said he would not play for GB. Don't blame TT because he was not in town when AV came because AV wanted to kick in a dome so what's the point. There comes a point when the excuses HAVE to stop and TT needs to be held responsible!
Pyle,

We are not a power house team now, nor have we been since Holmgren was outcoached in SSXXII. What we have is talented youth that needs time to grow. We do have some veterans, but their aggregate age is a little more than it should be (I wonder why that is?) (sarcasm alert). Our team will once again play tight games and be competitive in most of them.

As far as the TT/MS assignment of blame for the 4-12 season, well I respond to your posts adversarily because I feel you give Sherman a free pass and place everything in TT's lap, and I don't believe that is fair or accurate. I bring up things like poor salary cap, poor drafting, and **** poor judgement of free agents on Sherman's behalf because they have a major bearing on what Thompson walked into.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, what exactly is A FOOTBALL PLAYER? Seems to me Colledge,Spitz were drafted because of atleticism and they fit the system. Football players usually use technique and strength to dominate thier opponets, not just stand straight up and try to thumb wrestle defenders as they ran by AKA Colledge, Spitz, Coston, Whittacker. Is Cory Rodgers a football player or a Gangsta? Blackmon was drafted based PURELY on athleticism as was Hawkins. Poppinga can't stay healthy, Murphy is already gone, and now Underwood is hurt. Great to have Football players when they can't get off the Injured List. Where's the FOOTBALL PLAYERS?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me, pyle...when you first entered the workforce, did you hit the ground running at full speed? Your expectations for rookies is wholly unrealistic and, because of that, you will forever be disappointed.

These are rookies who have had 1 pre-season game under their belt...a bit premature to write them off, don't you think??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts