Cold weather Super Bowl bid

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard on ESPN that New York/New Jersey will probably win the bid for the SB in 2014. That would be awesome. Anyone else hear this?

I think it could mean good things for the game, if they get the CBA figured out. A return to what football should be. I dig it.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah ESPN's Chris Mortenson said that this would really open Pandora's box for other cold weather cities to bid for a superbowl berth. Especially for the coldest environment in the NFL, this could someday allow Green Bay to host its own superbowl.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah ESPN's Chris Mortenson said that this would really open Pandora's box for other cold weather cities to bid for a superbowl berth. Especially for the coldest environment in the NFL, this could someday allow Green Bay to host its own superbowl.
There's a thread about it, but I doubt it. GB doesn't have the structure to handle something as big as a SB... While NY/NJ does...

As far as the game being played on the cold, well, it's kinda against the whole "more points" philosophy the NFL has adopted... So I don't know. I'd like it, but I don't know...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB will never get a SB. I think this was a topic a few weeks ago.

Good for New Jersey. I think if a team spends that much $, they should be hosting a SB. I think the voters and media are forgetting how cold it could be though...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a thread about it, but I doubt it. GB doesn't have the structure to handle something as big as a SB... While NY/NJ does...

As far as the game being played on the cold, well, it's kinda against the whole "more points" philosophy the NFL has adopted... So I don't know. I'd like it, but I don't know...

Sorry about the echo on the past topic thing. I paused to watch some basketball while typing and you beat me to it.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather see GB play in a Super Bowl than see them host one. But i agree a cold weather SB in the elements would be awesome. If you want to play indoors go to the arena league.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Green Bay isn't nearly big enough and doesn't have nearly the required amount of accommodations to host a Super Bowl. I remember people complaining that Jacksonville was too small.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While GB isn't big enough as a city to host a SB, places like Seattle, Denver and Boston are. Throw in Washington (DC), Chicago and Kansas City and you've opened up quite the new venue for potential Super Bowl host sites.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who the hell would want to spend 10K to go to a game and freeze their ***** off?
Not me.

I moved away from it because freezing my *** off sucks.

Denver, Chicago.. they have nice stadiums and better cities than our village. They might protest for one now.

I hate NY and East Coast Bias, so this just irritates me even more.
The Media all thinks NY is the capital of the planet.

OP
OP
DergaSmash

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had the money to blow I would spend twice the 10,000 to see a SB game live in the cold. Thats what football is IMO. Not some carpet running and air conditioning.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When hell freezes over.
Maybe that will finally be the game Farvre makes it back, and good he has to freeze his 44-year old *** off!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad thing is everyone seems to have accepted the Championship game as a media event, instead of the GAME. The NFL made it's reputation on the great Championships of the past, most of them played in cold weather. The "Greatest Game Ever Played" was in New York when Ameche scored in sudden death to beat the Giants in Yankee Stadium.

Would the "Ice Bowl" still be remembered if it had been played in Miami?

Are there better pictorial memories than the Packers beating the Browns in the mud for the '65 Championship?

Most football fans can remember all of those great games, but who remembers a Championship game today, unless their own team played in it? They're all pretty much the same.

There is no reason the Championship can not be returned to one of the home teams playing--like football used to do and baseball continues to do. The media circus can have their parties in Miami every year and watch the game on a big screen while the 72,000 home fans get to watch in person.

Of course, this will never happen due to the money involved--but really, there is no good reason it couldn't.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Tony Dungy has come out against a cold weather site for the Championship (Dungy weighs in against New York Super Bowl, inconsistent overtime | ProFootballTalk.com). Dungy is a great person, and a smart football mind, but he should think about the great games played in the ice, snow, rain, fog and wind. Football is as much a measure of a team in bad weather as it is in good weather. I think Tony spent too many years in a dome and on fake grass to remember.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

1948 Eagles win first Championship in their history in a snowstorm

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've gotta agree with Jblood, part of what made football great is the great teams braving the elements. It just makes the game more memorable. Indoor stadiums are for the arena league. Th eSB has become too much about money and not enough about the game. If these fat cats and celebrities can't stand the cold then they can watch it at home and let the real fans attend the game.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Just looking at those pictures and the idea of that deciding a championship makes me shudder. That should never happen. Imagine if Green Bay plays San Diego or something. It just wouldn't be fair. And I feel strongly that there should be nothing that effects the game besides which team is better.

I'm fine with the playoffs snowing like hell, because you work all year to get that home field advantage, but the Super Bowl is supposed to be a level playing field.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best take on the subject IMHO:
Super Bowl in Green Bay? Uh... - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Money quote:
I would be shocked if the league follows this decision by awarding a Super Bowl to another cold-weather location with an outdoor stadium. This is a calculated, one-time chance to host the nation's biggest sporting event in its largest and richest city.

No pun intended, it's not about the wheater. It's not about the game. It's about the money.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts