Coaching changes automatically means success

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From CNN.SI-Don Banks:

======

2. When Cleveland blanked Miami, 22-0, on Sunday, it marked the first meeting this season of teams with first-year head coaches. And there were no quick success stories on that front this year. Ten games into their tenures, Romeo Crennel is 4-6 in Cleveland, Nick Saban is 3-7 in Miami and Mike Nolan is 2-8 in San Francisco. That's a combined 9-21 (.300).

=======

Jim Bates was 3-4 last year after Whiner Wannstaedt left.

Reaction score
HUH? I don't get your post. Bates was 3-4 yes, but that is not a success by any means. They guys were playing for pride, and Bates energetic style helped out, but 3-4 does not mean playoffs. 9-21... a success? BS! Crennel, Saban and Nolan all have different tendecies that people did not know about early in the season. And with all due respect, the teams themselves have no where to go but up. How has Norv Turner been? Mike Mularky? New coaches does not always mean success.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aadp...you're right about the injuries...I couldn't help but chuckle a little when Marviel Underwood was injured near the end of the game when Roman? rolled onto him on the sideline...

The Packers are even getting hurt while riding the pine! sheesh!

Reaction score
Missed the game, just saw the replay. Bubba is out to now! Honestly, the injuries are just getting ridiculous now. It seems if a player even breaths wrong, they will get injured.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what plays into that record is the handful of crap drafts by sherman. Also if he is such a offensive genius why can he only call four plays every second half?? Everyone said after they stripped him of the gm job we were going to see mike the offensive god..... THAT HASN"T HAPPENED and it never will.

Reaction score
So Walker was a mistake? Green was a mistake? A healthy Franks was a mistake? Whale and Rivera are gone too. Ferggy is hurt. Flanny is hurt. What on earth could you do when your top playmakers are out? You certainly can't find playmakers on the street. He was supposed to do good after being stripped of GM duties, but how could even the best caoch in today's game do good after being ravashed by injuries? Even Bellichek has suffered because of injuries, but he still has playmakers. Pack only have one, and that is Farve. CAn't do much with that.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whale and Rivera are gone too.
These guys are gone because we were about three dollars under the salery cap after Sherman signed about four crap free agents to big contracts that were absolute BUSTS. AKA Joe Johnson...Trueluck...Roman etc. etc. etc.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooooh, quit yer bickering.... Let's focus on what's left.

Roman had a couple of bad plays today - but also made up fer a few, as well.
I would say - that by now - we can tell which players are watching film -- and, which ones aren't.
You can lead a horse to water - but that's about all.......... eh?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
Sherman 2 and 9 enough said

One bad year does not make a career or define a coach. If that was the case then Shanahan and Cowher should have been fired after their first losing season following all those years of success.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are many problems with Sherman's coaching, but he didn't put the ball on the turf 4 times or throw the ball up for grabs with a minute to go.

Sherman the GM had a much worse salary cap situation when he first took over for Wolf. That year he had huge FAs in Sharper and Longwell, yet he worked with being $20 million over the cap and kept his best FA's. So if TT really wanted to, he could have signed either Wahle or Rivera.

In the past years when we faced big injuries, the GM looked to fill the spots with experienced veteran players. This year TT has filled the holes with young, inexperienced prospects that we would only see in TC or on the practice squad.

I don't think that Sherman is the best coach in the league nor was he the best GM, but he's far from the worst. He works his @$$ off to do what's best for the team. If Marriuci is available in the offseason, then I think TT needs to evaluate a change. I don't want to see the end of Favre's career come with some bottom of the barrel coach just for us to see a change.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have said in the past...there is plenty of blame to go around. That being said, Sherman, while having many fine qualities as a coach, has a few weaknesses that are absolute killers.

Yes, the turnovers were ridiculous, but the reality is that we consistently get blown out in second halves whether there are turnovers or not, due in large part to the fact that MS appears to be a very linear thinker and is incapable of change (or at least productive change) to counter other's halftime adjustments. As well, the offense is terribly predictable...only a select few plays run from any formation/personnel grouping. I little film gives any team the jump on what we will be trying to do. And, quite honestly, Tom Rossley is playing checkers while the rest of the league is playing chess...I have NEVER sen him attack an opponent's weakness with intent...he is merely happy to "run what we run and do what we do".

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nearly all of you lost the intent of my post: coaching changes DON'T always mean success. It was sarcasm.

The prevailing idea that coaching changes lead to instant turnarounds is a prevailing myth, in these parts and elsewhere. Lovie Smith took a few years to get the putrid Bears to a winning season. Marvin Lewis has moved Cincy to the top, but it has taken him years. Joe Gibbs can't seem to turn the mess in Washington around. Herm Edwards can't turn the Jets around. Mooch has turned Detroit into de-toilet...it took Parcells, as great a coach as he is, this long to produce a solid team. His early playoff run netted a loser last year.

At the pro level, there are many fine coaches, but a shortage of great talent. The goal is to find great talent, and combine it with effective coaching and philosophy, and then hope your efforts aren't destroyed by a rash of injuries.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
As I have said in the past...there is plenty of blame to go around. That being said, Sherman, while having many fine qualities as a coach, has a few weaknesses that are absolute killers.

Yes, the turnovers were ridiculous, but the reality is that we consistently get blown out in second halves whether there are turnovers or not, due in large part to the fact that MS appears to be a very linear thinker and is incapable of change (or at least productive change) to counter other's halftime adjustments. As well, the offense is terribly predictable...only a select few plays run from any formation/personnel grouping. I little film gives any team the jump on what we will be trying to do. And, quite honestly, Tom Rossley is playing checkers while the rest of the league is playing chess...I have NEVER sen him attack an opponent's weakness with intent...he is merely happy to "run what we run and do what we do".

I got nuthin' to add to this, except - -- DITTO !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts