Coaches still in Bush's corner

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 1, 2007

Green Bay - Despite two straight games in which opponents have worked him over a bit, Jarrett Bush will remain the Green Bay Packers' nickel

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said he had no intention of pulling Bush in favor of Will Blackmon, Frank Walker or Tramon Williams even though Bush has given up touchdowns in consecutive games and had difficulty covering Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Sydney Rice.

"He did a nice job," Sanders said of Bush's performance Sunday. "He had a lot of good plays. A lot of times the sacks or the pressures we got were because he and the other guys were in good coverage. A lot of times you don't see all those type situations. The number of times they threw and the times they actually caught the ball, there are a lot of times he's playing very, very well."

There's no question, however, that Bush had his struggles.

He easily could have been burned for a 56-yard touchdown on Minnesota's first series when Rice ran past him. However, quarterback Kelly Holcomb badly overthrew the rookie, saving the Packers from giving up an early touchdown.

Later in the first quarter, he gave up two third-down receptions to Rice on a drive that didn't result in any Vikings points.

Bush was pretty solid from that point on until Rice got him again in the fourth quarter, this time on a lob into the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown that cut Green Bay's lead to 23-16. Bush was stride for stride with Rice but turned his head too early and allowed Rice to leap over him for the ball.

"The guy made a great play on the touchdown," cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington said. "I thought he went up for the catch and the guy went over and made an excellent play. I thought he was in excellent position. Sometimes things like that happen. It's football. He was in great position and Rice made an excellent play."

Bush said if he had to do it all over again, he said he might have read the receiver longer to determine when the ball was coming.

"There wasn't too much I could really do," Bush said. "But instead of looking for the ball, look through the receiver, face him, read his hands. But that's about it. On tall receivers, because he gets up so high, when he comes down you punch the ball out. It's a judgment call in a split second. It's one of those deals."

On the play Holcomb overthrew Rice, Bush said he tried to jam Rice at the line of scrimmage but missed, which allowed Rice to get a jump on him. As for his confidence, Bush said the coaches had remained on his side and hadn't shown any signs of giving up on him.

"I have to just keep working on the things that I need to work on," Bush said. "They said I played pretty solid. Some of the catches I really couldn't do anything about because of the coverage I was in. Some of the crossing routes were like that. Some of the coverages put us in a difficult position. They're a good football team and they have good receivers also."

TexasPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we are 4-0

Is it really necessary to post this in EVERY thread? I think we all know we are 4-0 and are excited but no need to spam every thread with it. Just my two cents maybe I'm wrong.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
we are 4-0

Is it really necessary to post this in EVERY thread? I think we all know we are 4-0 and are excited but no need to spam every thread with it. Just my two cents maybe I'm wrong.

I agree. It gets annoying when you see a thread at the top and you expect a mindful comment or discussion and its just another thoughtless ' 4 - 0 ' post.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

It is just a sign of protest to his questions over the past couple of weeks, in which the main response has been we are winning.

I suspect it will continue until we lose.. then all the "I told you so's" will start to roll. Kind of like the digging up all the old TT debate threads...

Nothing more than *** for tats... unfortunately it will continue no matter if we win or lose.

PACKmanN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Bush was bad, Darrelle Revis got beat all day vs the Bills and they didn't stop.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel Will Blackmon is much more athletic than Bush. Eventually, I feel Bush will be replaced with Will Blackmon.
I think once Will gets the cast off his hand, and is fully healed, he may become a starting CB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I feel Will Blackmon is much more athletic than Bush. Eventually, I feel Bush will be replaced with Will Blackmon.
I think once Will gets the cast off his hand, and is fully healed, he may become a starting CB.

I agree.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what didnt you get from that article.

the part where the COACHES said Bush isnt getting replaced

or maybe it was the part where the COACHES said he actually played a pretty good game and just got beat on some plays that the whole defense was in sketchy coverage.

i dont get the negative attitude.... we havent lost yet and the kid had some very positive play other than the few blunders. we gave up ONE garbage time touchdown! its not like they scored at will for god sakes.

i just dont get this witch hunt mentality from some fans. im not saying Bush doesnt need to improve... but for some reason. Stupid fans think that one mistake (even from a guy making some of his first real game action) means he should be gone immediately.

Its not like this kid was Carroll and was holding and played bad an entire game. he played solid in most situations... but just had a few errors. for god sakes Woodson started bad and had some penalties... no ones calling for his head. Just a freakin unnecessary witch hunt is all it is.

When the freakin game was on the line... he didnt give up a touchdown i know that much!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

or maybe it was the part where the COACHES said he actually played a pretty good game and just got beat on some plays that the whole defense was in sketchy coverage.

i dont get the negative attitude.... we havent lost yet and the kid had some very positive play other than the few blunders. we gave up ONE garbage time touchdown! its not like they scored at will for god sakes.

i just dont get this witch hunt mentality from some fans. im not saying Bush doesnt need to improve... but for some reason. Stupid fans think that one mistake (even from a guy making some of his first real game action) means he should be gone immediately.

Its not like this kid was Carroll and was holding and played bad an entire game. he played solid in most situations... but just had a few errors. for god sakes Woodson started bad and had some penalties... no ones calling for his head. Just a freakin unnecessary witch hunt is all it is.

When the freakin game was on the line... he didnt give up a touchdown i know that much!

How does dhpackr's comment qualify as a "witch hunt"? He just said that EVENTUALLY he thinks Blackmon will replace Bush. It's not out of the question, considering that Blackmon has a cast on his hand right now.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didnt mean just dhpacker... i mean for everyone.

coaches are sitting there telling you that Bush played well in their eyes.

we just shouldnt be so quick to boot people out of the team adding more pressure on them.

The minute Blackmon gives up a touchdown, there will be another witchhunt to kick him out of the starting lineup... I completely understand and agree with booting someone if they consistently mess up and dont instill confidence repeatedly.

but were gonna score TDs, and people are gonna score TD's on us. Because one player gives one up doesnt mean he immediatley needs to be benched

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

watch and see who is the starting nickle back once that cast comes off
Rice owned bush on that TD, END OF STORY!

WTF are you crying about. can you ever make a point w/o calling people names. Sorry to break it to you , but some people may have a different view point than you.
Does not mean they are stupid witches for cripes sake!
I feel Will is physically a more gifted athlete than bush. Rice owned bush on a TD and I feel teams will focus on matchups that will give them an advantage over Bush. Just my thoughts. how insane is it to write my thoughts on a discussion forum. gawd forbid, i must be a stupid witch.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Rice owned bush on that TD, END OF STORY!

Rice went by Bush on the first series and beat him a couple of times with movement before the snap. But the TD catch was just a great play by Rice...

Blackmon is less physically imposing than Bush and could not have had better coverage on him.. he was right there. Sorry great plays and catches happen.. that was one of them.

Wonder how long it will be before we start hearing that we should have drafted Rice in the this years draft... kid needs to have the game slow down a bit and he will be a player.

Vikes got a couple of nice players out of the 1st two rounds of the draft... give them a year or two and if TJ develops.. they could have an offense.. But then there D will aged and pourous... such the life of a Viking fan. :thumbsup:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love "END OF STORY"

It's like a little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and goes "la la la la la!"

Bush will be fine. Growing pains!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Rice didn't own Bush, he made a helluva catch.

which personality of your many, was watching the game Sunday??!!

or is this a joke??

I really do not appreciate personal attacks.

Are we talking about the entire game or that single play? I was referring to that single play, if that wasn't obvious enough for you.

Overall, Rice had the advantage over Bush.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Bush was bad, Darrelle Revis got beat all day vs the Bills and they didn't stop.

To add to that, Leon Hall has looked pretty bad on quite a few plays this year, although he does have one of two Tom Brady INT's to his credit(seemed more of a Brady error than a Hall highlight).

I think Bush is gonna be a playmaker for our D, he's just gotta keep improving every week.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Are we talking about the entire game or that single play? I was referring to that single play, if that wasn't obvious enough for you.

I agree with ya zero, it was a pretty outstanding play by Rice to control his body in the air, and come down with the ball.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Zero2Cool said:

I agree with ya zero, it was a pretty outstanding play by Rice to control his body in the air, and come down with the ball.

to me, it looked like a more physical, powerful guy, out performed our #3 CB, and teams will focus on this #3 DB!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love "END OF STORY"

It's like a little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and goes "la la la la la!"

Bush will be fine. Growing pains!

i beg to differ. i think that bush will be replaced very soon. i feel blackmon will replace bush. just like wynn replaced b-jack, just like favre is better than a-rod.
end of story!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
to me, it looked like a more physical, powerful guy, out performed our #3 CB, and teams will focus on this #3 DB!

How many teams have a third WR who is that good though?

And I agree, I think many teams will try to exploit Bush and hopefully he learns from his mistakes, gets the right coaching and improves.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

To add to that, Leon Hall has looked pretty bad on quite a few plays this year, although he does have one of two Tom Brady INT's to his credit(seemed more of a Brady error than a Hall highlight).

I think Bush is gonna be a playmaker for our D, he's just gotta keep improving every week.

and i don't, i think bush has peaked, and is as good as he will get.
so ban me.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:

which personality of your many, was watching the game Sunday??!!

or is this a joke??

I really do not appreciate personal attacks.

i have been called so many names, and never cry about it.
one moron has called me captain bananas, ******, and then screams for me to be banned.
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Zero2Cool said:
Zero2Cool said:

to you gold looks like mud
to you Heidi Klum looks like Andy Reid

to you 4-0 looks like 0-16 so nobodys really worried about what it looks like to you

Members online

Latest posts