1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Coaches ranking

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,532 / 86 / -26
  2. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 74 / -16
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think I would rank mccarthy higher than sean peyton, due to the scandle and higher than mike tomlin. I can agree about the #1 spot, but I sure as hell don't like bell-a-cheat.
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,532 / 86 / -26
    He should get a large amount or credit for favres resurgence as well as Aaron's development
  4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 74 / -16
    Packer Fan Since:
    I am sure he does, but in my opinion, going 47-14 with a super bowl win, and multiple play offs should rank him better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    No doubt Belichik is #1. He's likely going to be in the running for one of the top coaches of all time, although I think that depends on how he fares after Brady hangs up his cleats.

I think that Coughlin is too high, but I understand the weight of two rings. However, I would argue that while he does his best when his back is against the wall, the converse is also true that he fails to deliver on high expectations. He's a bit of a one trick pony playing the us-against-the-world card, albeit very well.

I have no issues with Sean Payton's ranking. He's a great coach except for the Bountygate asterisk.

Which brings us to McCarthy, who seems to keep a level ship despite lofty SB expectations each season. Not many coaches went 15-1 after a SB win. They ranked Tomlin a spot higher, offering the excuse that 8-8 was due to injuries. How about finishing 10-6 and winning the SB when your team has the most injuries in the league? That should carry some weight.

I think that Harbaugh is ranked way to high. I wouldn't put him above any of the other coaches in the top six...yet. His one SB ring puts him no higher than any of those coaches. He did benefit from inheriting a great defense. Which gets to my real issue: It's tough to rank coaches (much like players themselves) without considering those around them. They could rank the GMs at the same time and then use that to weight the coaches rankings. A coach that consistently delivers despite poor personnel moves should be ranked higher than an average coach that has a superb GM keeping the talent pool rich. It's no easy analysis though.

My ranking would go:
    1. Belicheat (I like that name)
    2. Sean Pay-to-hitton (okay, that sucks but I tried)
    3. Tom Coughlin
    4/5. Tomlin/McCarthy - two equal coaches with equally good GMs and team management
    6. John Harbaugh

My only comment from the rest of the list is that John Fox should be ranked higher. He's done much with little. IMO he would have done equal or better than Coughlin with the NYG.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,532 / 86 / -26
    Hmm I'm curious where bill B will rank when he retires. He might crack the top 10. Bonus points for 3 titles in this era.
  7. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    That could be a whole other thread. He's got the resume to be in consideration. He should have an asterisk as well though.
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Here is another one

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...d_coaches_in_2013/14387420?utm_source=taboola

MM is 3rd above Sean Payton

3. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay
    Record: 74-38 Playoffs: 6-4 Age: 49

In seven years as a head coach, McCarthy has one losing season (2008, 6-10), three NFC North titles, one Super Bowl, helped his quarterback win a MVP trophy and he still hasn’t reached the age of 50. He’s made the playoffs four years in a row and five of the last six years, and only 24 coaches in NFL history have more than his six career postseason wins. A second Super Bowl is well within reach and his consistent performance in the NFL Draft makes him one of the best sideline generals in the league. His career winning percentage (66.1) trails only Mike Smith and the Harbaugh brothers among active NFL coaches.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    To me it's all further confirmation that he's a top 5 coach in the league.

If there is a poll or rank of NFL coordinators, there might be some volatile discussions online here :speechless:
  10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    I agree with # 6. Mike has to enhance his resume with another Super Bowl win to get himself higher.