Clay Matthews injury status?

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I have seen thus far is an "O" under the Wednesday practice column. I thought that this was just a hamstring injury? He seemed to be walking fine when he left the Arizona game...

I know that "O" = out, so do we plan on not seeing him this week in Detroit? Maybe he'll get limited and full practice on Thursday and Friday? Man... this is a scary thought. I know that every body is different, and everyone's body heals at different rates, but Jordy was back after 1 week with a hamstring injury, I hope Clay is too. Then again...better safe than sorry!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
bleacher report said he could miss a "few weeks". Does that mean 3 weeks? 3 games? or 2 of the 3 weeks are gone because of the bye and he will be back for the NYG game? That kind of reporting ****** me off, tell us straight up what the hell is going on, please.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably a week to week basis here on out. What bothers me is he was walking completely fine after it happened, so what is the severity of this injury? Zombo could be a spark plug. If he stays healthy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He was declared out yesterday..

Mason Crosby has said he hates seeing his friend in pain...So maybe he really is going to be out a few more weeks

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is that you want Clay healthy for a playoff run. Hamstring injuries are an annual occurrence for Matthews so it makes sense to get him healed and ready for the stretch, even if he has to miss a critical game or two mid-season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is that you want Clay healthy for a playoff run. Hamstring injuries are an annual occurrence for Matthews so it makes sense to get him healed and ready for the stretch, even if he has to miss a critical game or two mid-season.

We have to make the playoffs first tho. We cannot afford to be without a pass rush if the offense continues to falter in the second half of games like they have been doing..especially aginst Detroit and New York.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm time to see what the league leaders in sacks can do without Matthews

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
well, because of the bye week he went from 2nd down to 4th. I'm not a sack stat guy, I just want him back for the pressure he causes and the double teams he draws which leads to pressure/sacks from other guys. There is no doubt, we NEED him back.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Detroit has no running game so pressure on Stafford is going to be important. We can't let them get off to a good start throwing the ball.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Question is, who do we have that will provide that pressure? The evidence was cut and dry clear during the AZ. game. Once clay left the game, there was no more QB pressure. As we all know, stafford is a MUCH better QB than skelton is and with no pressure stafford may just have a good time. We need some new blitz scheme(s).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question is, who do we have that will provide that pressure? The evidence was cut and dry clear during the AZ. game. Once clay left the game, there was no more QB pressure. As we all know, stafford is a MUCH better QB than skelton is and with no pressure stafford may just have a good time. We need some new blitz scheme(s).

I agree. Outside of Walden I don't have an answer and he isn't exactly a sack master. Zombo? If we sit back in that zone ouch!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Zombo the zombie hasn't show enough flash of speed and or agility to be considered a sack/pressure threat. Until CM3 comes back, I am afraid we are screwed on the pressure scale.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that a lot of folks on these boards get waaay too negative on the Packer's backups. There haven't been many teams better than Green Bay over the past five years at dealing with injuries. Some of the comments above insinuate that we'll have zero pass rush and lose every game when a guy like Clay Matthews is not in the game. We've got pretty good backups, surely not Pro Bowl backups (nobody does), but guys that find ways to get the job done. Have faith, ye of little faith.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that a lot of folks on these boards get waaay too negative on the Packer's backups. There haven't been many teams better than Green Bay over the past five years at dealing with injuries. Some of the comments above insinuate that we'll have zero pass rush and lose every game when a guy like Clay Matthews is not in the game. We've got pretty good backups, surely not Pro Bowl backups (nobody does), but guys that find ways to get the job done. Have faith, ye of little faith.

yeah, but whatever you do don't mention the 2010 season...or someone might snap their ******* :rolleyes:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bleacher report said he could miss a "few weeks". Does that mean 3 weeks? 3 games? or 2 of the 3 weeks are gone because of the bye and he will be back for the NYG game? That kind of reporting ****** me off, tell us straight up what the hell is going on, please.

Ugh, posts like this, and the mentality behind them, **** me off. They don't owe it to you, or any other fan for that matter, to disclose his protected (Read: Private) health information. Also, why give any more strategic information to your opponents before you absolutely have to?

Besides, Mike McCarthy said after the Arizona game he would be out for a couple weeks. Last week was week one, this week is week two. After that, lets hope for the best and stop getting pissed that the team chooses to keep our best players injury situations close to the vest.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, posts like this, and the mentality behind them, **** me off. They don't owe it to you, or any other fan for that matter, to disclose his protected (Read: Private) health information. Also, why give any more strategic information to your opponents before you absolutely have to?

Besides, Mike McCarthy said after the Arizona game he would be out for a couple weeks. Last week was week one, this week is week two. After that, lets hope for the best and stop getting pissed that the team chooses to keep our best players injury situations close to the vest.

And it's not Madden. Nobody knows how long it'll take to heal. And it won't be 100%, at least not until he's had a couple months to rest it after the season. It's not a couple weeks till he's all better, it's hopefully a couple weeks before he can suck it up and play without making it worse.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might not be all that bad of an idea to sit him for a couple of weeks to let him heal up. We are nearing the end of the season and the time when we will really need a healthy Clay is going into the playoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

And it's not Madden. Nobody knows how long it'll take to heal. And it won't be 100%, at least not until he's had a couple months to rest it after the season. It's not a couple weeks till he's all better, it's hopefully a couple weeks before he can suck it up and play without making it worse.

Right. Nobody knows. These are human beings, not robots in a repair shop. Recurring hamstring injuries are not something to mess around with; the more often you have them the more likely they are to recur. Careers have ended prematurely from less.

Just one more reason to dislike fantasy football.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

And you must really not be aware of the fact that accurate injury reporting by a team is an NFL RULE. There is no "hiding injury info" from your rivals to keep them guessing. Teams can be fined BIG money for mis-reporting or hiding a team members injury. So, know the rules instead of "getting pissed" at my post, be mad at yourself for not knowing.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you must really not be aware of the fact that accurate injury reporting by a team is an NFL RULE. There is no "hiding injury info" from your rivals to keep them guessing. Teams can be fined BIG money for mis-reporting or hiding a team members injury. So, know the rules instead of "getting pissed" at my post, be mad at yourself for not knowing.

I am aware of the rules, thanks. What I don't understand is what makes YOU think you're entitled to his prognosis and why you think the team owes YOU a timetable as to his return.

The team is being accurate in their reporting when they say he "Missed practice with a leg injury." While it's not as much detail as you like to think you're entitled to, it's also not "Hiding injury info." The team doesn't have to say "He'll be back for the Giants game," nor do they have to say, "He'll be out 6 weeks, 2 days and 4 hours." All they have to say is whether he was a participant in practice and the general nature of the injury.

Perhaps you should check yourself before you call others out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

But that is just reporting a injury and practice time..

They could say Clay did not practice, limited practice, every week if they want....Doesnt mean anything till the inactive report comes out..So that really has no bearing on what MM was saying about Clay for the future

His point was that MM doesnt have to tell you how long Clay will be out...

With the hammy they may not know at all..So a general few weeks works..

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I am aware of the rules, thanks. What I don't understand is what makes YOU think you're entitled to his prognosis and why you think the team owes YOU a timetable as to his return.

The team is being accurate in their reporting when they say he "Missed practice with a leg injury." While it's not as much detail as you like to think you're entitled to, it's also not "Hiding injury info." The team doesn't have to say "He'll be back for the Giants game," nor do they have to say, "He'll be out 6 weeks, 2 days and 4 hours." All they have to say is whether he was a participant in practice and the general nature of the injury.

Perhaps you should check yourself before you call others out.
Don't know why ou are trying to make this into a pissing contest, you opened you yapper and made comment about my post, you don't like the reply, don't make the comment, simple as that. Don't know if you are just having a bad day or what??? And where the hell did I say tha I need to feel like I am entitled to know everything? I didn't, I was making a complint about he vaugeness of the reporting on a sports website, bleacer report that is. No team or anyone owes me jack ****, you made it sound that way and are making your own projections off of what I was saying. I only want a more accurate time line is all, concern about the teams pass rush is all I was displaying. Stop reading into stuff and making up your own additions.

Members online

Latest posts