$$ Clay Matthews deserves the new big deal before Rodgers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The focus of this discussion seems to be about whom should be signed first. I think that we are all overlooking the likelihood that Russ Ball is simultaneously negotiating with both parties, and likely a few others. They aren't singularly focused in the negotiation department at GB Central
I'd like to toot my own horn here (metaphorically speaking of course):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9129993/green-bay-packers-deal-clay-matthews-sources
Packers, Clay Matthews near deal

When the deal for Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews gets done this offseason -- and it will -- it will come in at or north of $13 million a year in new money, according to sources.

Matthews, 26, has 42.5 sacks in his four seasons with the Packers, including 13 last season. He has 204 tackles, seven forced fumbles and four interceptions in 58 career games since being drafted 26th overall in the 2009 draft out of USC.
The Packers are also working on an extension for Aaron Rodgers, with sources saying last week the sides are closing in on a long-term deal that would make the quarterback the highest-paid player in NFL history.
Both Rodgers and the Packers are hesitant to comment on a potential extension, but leaguewide speculation is that the deal could average $25 million per year.
Both sides have been extremely careful when publicly commenting on a deal. But those familiar with the contract talks believe a deal will be completed this offseason.
Rodgers was asked about the contract talks in a radio interview Tuesday.
"We'll see what happens here. I don't have an answer for you," he told 102.9 FM in Milwaukee.
A former Super Bowl MVP, Rodgers is under contract through 2014, having signed a six-year, $65 million contract in October 2008. Rodgers' base salary in 2013 is $9.25 million, while his 2014 deal is worth $10.5 million.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think Raptorman is psychic, 25 and 15 sound real close... though probably closer to 24 and 16

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since entering the NFL in 2009, Clay Matthews is the only linebacker with 40 sacks, 20 stuffs and 20 passes defensed. He was the top-ranked 3-4 outside linebacker in the league last season in ProFootballFocus.com's ratings.

PlayerTeamRating
Clay Matthews Packers 15.1
Aldon Smith 49ers 13.5
DeMarcus Ware Cowboys 12.1
Paul Kruger Ravens 11.0
Anthony Spencer Cowboys 7.2
Source: ProFootballFocus.com

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still maintain that the move to get up and take Matthews is Thompson's BEST (yes #1) move as GM.
That was aggressive, out of character, and brilliant.
Rodgers fell into his lap. Still that is his 2nd best move ever, IMO.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I still maintain that the move to get up and take Matthews is Thompson's BEST (yes #1) move as GM.
That was aggressive, out of character, and brilliant.
Rodgers fell into his lap. Still that is his 2nd best move ever, IMO.
I think Arod is still #1, even though he fell to the Packers, putting it into the time perspective, he still had a franchise QB in Brett and it was his first pick ever as GM. Brett still had a lot in his tank when TT made that pick and there were alot of other positions of need at the time. That was our first glimpse of his BAP philosophy. But still Moving up to grab Clay was a brilliant move considering how little playing time Clay had at USC. In TT I totally trust.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts