Chris Havel stutter steps and misses....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Nov. 08, 2005
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chris Havel

Packers should take a chance on Owens

Terrell Owens never is going to play in Philadelphia again. Owens’ insolence gave Eagles coach Andy Reid little choice but to suspend the talented but tempestuous wide receiver for four games (Sunday night’s loss to Washington included), and then deactivate him for the balance of the season.

Owens’ abrasive comments and boorish behavior have created an irreparable rift between him and his teammates.

So where will Owens play next?

What about Green Bay?

If the Eagles eventually waive Owens, the Packers ought to put in a claim. At 1-7, they have a realistic shot at acquiring him. If the Eagles don’t release him until after the season, the Packers should investigate signing him.

Whereas Owens’ presence would be intolerable in Philadelphia this season, the Packers have little or nothing to lose. It isn’t like they are competing for the NFC North Division title. It isn’t like they have such an abundance of offensive weapons, especially at receiver, that they have no use for him.

Owens is a troublemaker. That much is true. Then again, the Packers are in trouble, and he could be part of a short-term cure for what ails them.

A trial run

Ideally, the Packers could land Owens for part of the balance of this season. It would give the coaches a chance to assess him, and Brett Favre a chance to build some chemistry with him. If it works out, fine. If it doesn’t, cut him.

As it stands, the Packers desperately need another playmaker at receiver.

Owens’ presence might prevent Javon Walker from returning too soon. When Walker returns from his knee injury, the Packers would have a formidable receiving corps of Owens, Walker, Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson and Terrence Murphy.

Once Walker and Murphy return next season, if Owens’ behavior is insufferable, the Packers can trade or cut him.

The Packers also need a running back, and if Owens is under contract before the 2006 NFL draft, they always could package him in a draft-day trade.

Worth the trouble

I am sure some Packers fans aren’t interested in acquiring Owens because of his reputation as a cancer in the locker room. I’m sure others aren’t interested because they fear Owens’ presence, if he joined the team this year, might help the Packers win a few games and screw up their draft position.

To the latter, I say the Packers should try to win as many games as they can, regardless of draft position. To the former, I say the Packers always can cut him.

Owens is trouble, to be sure, but he is an extremely talented receiver. Owens and Walker would add more years to Favre’s career than any amount of core training.

Give Sherman a running back, and Jim Bates a weapon or two on defense, and the Packers aren’t that far away from being really, really good.

Under these extreme circumstances, and for a short time, Owens’ talent might be worth the trouble. Certainly he is worth consideration.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail.
[[email protected]]

=======================================

Notice, guys - that Chris sidesteps the Salary Cap issue....?

The issue is about what it would take monetarily for the process to even get started..

The Packers don't need the money headache any more than whatever else there is in baggage with this guy.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would he cost for the rest of this year? Yeah he is a ***** but man we sure need playmakers on offense.

Pack14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough issues with this team.... Don't need to bring that cancer to GB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He didn't sidestep the salary cap issue during his radio show. According to him the Packers would be able to afford his as he said remaining $1.6 million for the last games of this year.

I agree with his article, but even though I said that and said I'd bring him in, I'm way more hesitant on saying I would now. The talent seems intriguing and Rison and Glenn did 'ok' while being here, but T.O. he's a different type of dog.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T.O. would be great for the short term........which is the first time he opens his mouth!

Here is some advice to Havel....first get rid of the "mullet", the 80's are over. Second, pay attention to what is happening outside of Wisconsin. Anyone who wants Owens hasn't been paying attention. Sure, Owens, Walker, Driver, Fergy, Chatman and Murphy sounds like a great group of receivers.....until Brett decides to spread the ball around , like he has always done. Then watch Owens implode! Besides he hasn't played a full season due to injuries since 2001, I believe.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on the Injury sabbatical..... on da money....

Remember, the Pack doesn't need to spend time supporting his magic marker supply, either.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can imagine him mooning the Vikes fans and rubbin' his **** on their goal post!(Though that would have to occur next year) His talents are definitely tempting but it's difficult to insulate uranium. Hire him as a part timer. Show up at practice and show for the games, otherwise stay out of the locker room and keep your yap shut. On the flipside, I couldn't imagine the legacy of the Pack being tarnished if he did his T.O. thang and drug his selfishness public against Farve and G.B.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to plan ahead this season is lost why take anymore risks??? Wed better accept that we will get one of the highest draft picks and get Reggie Bush he is a bigger treath in the long range that Owens, lets not think about today.

Sherman will be bad wetter we like it or not, he has all the injuries to cover his mistakes. But he will know it might be his last chance,,, lets have TT work an agreement with Bates, stay one more year if Mikey screws it again, which will be very likely, the HC job for 2007 will be yours, I say Bates will take the offer and we keep an every day improving D for 2006.

Lets hope Brett stays one more year and with Reggie, Javon and 3 more aditions to the team we will see a totally different season..

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been reading Havel for some time now and normally agree with his opinion. This article looks more like the devils advocate than a serious consideration. I'm sure TT will not let emotion play into any decision with TO. All Havel is suggesting is that a move of this sort is worth considering. I agree. If the price is right and the organization lays out some perameters, I say go for it. After all, individual achievements are recognized at Lambeau, (Longwells 1000 point, & Favre's numerous records). TO already has a friend in Walker and Al Harris said he would pick him up at the airport in a limo. Ruegamer wasn't as kind with his comments. At any rate, with a team at 1-7 what else is there to write about!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again - the Packers have how much money leftover? About 1.6mil, I do believe... maybe just a bit more.... but not close enough to call it 2mil.

Just to get things started with T.O. - we'd have to commit all of what's left.
Uh-huh -- not gonna happen... I agree that the Pack could use a break right about now... and no one is saying things... wouldn't/couldn't ...be great with Favre having, for the first time, a dynamic top-drawer wideout, either... Brett would be like a kid in a candy store.. but, seriously -- if this scenario, or a similar one, were to evolve, it would have already happened when Jerry Rice became available... think about it... Who would you rather have? Jerry Rice, or Terrell Owens?

TT is not gonna commit the rest of the piggy-bank on this...

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm partly interesting by this article. I would at least consider picking him up, with a few very large points in his contract. No back talking to coaches in a way determinatal to team moral/chemsitry, no Unnessesary comments toward players or coaches which is anyway detremental to the team. Basically, stop being a jack ***. Reminder that the It took TO for hte eagles to finally get to the Superbowl (Almost had 15 touchdowns last season).

Imagine this senario. We pick up TO and get him a decent enough contract (got this feeling that he will lower his pay standard because of the character issues). Him and Farve do well together but not well enough because of lack of other weapons available and the packers arre still the packers this season and find a way to lose. Still have that high draft pick and get Bush in the first round. Pick up some Defense players (LB/CB/DT) in the draft (TT is pretty good at finding players in teh later rounds too), and maybe a stud DE (john abraham will be a FA this coming spring). This may be too much to ask for but like Havel said, we are not far from having a really good team. TO, walker, Driver, Murphy (don't like furgeson), Bush Farve on offense, and a defense with some playmakers on it hmmm interesting to at lesat think about

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jerry Rice is old and slow..and done..

TO has 20 TD's in 21 games...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Along with the obvious, well documented lack of any common sense at all....the "man" hasn't played a full season since 2001. Just what we need another injury prone player. He's the one that brokered the deal to get out of his trade to B-more and hooked up with his dream situation, Philly. A year later he wants a new deal....then he wants out of Philly......no wait I apologize....I respect McNabb and want to play for Philly. ***** you "to" everybody has bent over backwards for you. Rot on the sideline you ungrateful piece of ****.

If Ryan didn't edit I'd really let loose!

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
We have enough injuries. We dont need a disease on this team.

aaaaaAAHHHHHH.......aaaaAAAhhhh........

TTTTTTT.O.OOOOOOOoooo000...

CHOOO!!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Havel, but I disagree with him on this one.

If we were a receiver away from a Super Bowl like we were when Brooks got hurt and we signed Rison, then maybe I would consider it.

But this is a young team in a rebuilding mode. I want the young guys to learn from guys like Henderson and Favre, not from guys like Owens. I don't want Owens to influence the young guys on this team the wrong way, which could hurt us for the coming years.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either my calendar is wrong, and it is actually April 1st, or Chris Havel has lost his mind. As I read the article, I kept waiting for him to say "Just kidding!" But he never did. This is one of the sillier football columns I've read in awhile, and Havel is usually on target.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts