Chris Havel Asks ...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Nov. 22, 2005
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chris Havel

Will Vikings’ sweep ultimately cost Sherman?

Remember all that goodwill the Green Bay Packers bought with last week’s convincing victory at Atlanta?

It vanished into the cold night air at Lambeau Field, and with it any delusions the Packers may have had about making something of a season gone awry.

To lose to the rival Minnesota Vikings once on a last-second field goal is painful. To lose to the Vikings twice like that in the same season is sinful.

When Packers General Manager Ted Thompson determines coach Mike Sherman’s fate after the season, the Packers’ 20-17 loss to the Vikings on Monday night could figure prominently.

The Packers, at 2-8, have hit a new low.

Forget about regaining their once-vaunted home-field advantage. The Packers can’t protect a lead at Lambeau Field. If the season didn’t begin to unravel before this latest gut-wrenching loss, it may start to come unglued now.

The Packers’ defense surely came unglued in the second half, when it made Vikings running back Mewelde Moore look like the second coming of Chuck Foreman. Moore rushed 22 times for 122 yards on the night, but his greatest impact came during a dominating second-half performance.

Moore’s twisting, turning runs put the Vikings in position to win. Packers cornerback Jason Horton’s blown coverage on a 35-yard completion to Koren Robinson on the game’s final possession set up Paul Edinger’s 27-yard game-winning field goal at the gun.

“You have no idea how frustrating and disappointing it is,â€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was the loss to the Vikings in the playoffs last year that should have cost Sherman his job. This year the roster is riddled with injuries, with only young guys for replacements. Because Harlan didn't pull the trigger on Sherman last year and Thompson extended his contract, I doubt that Sherman will be fired.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well he sees what we all see, JB, and a whole lot more. I am just glad some media folk are saying he could lose his job...throw it out there ...

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sherman were let go, I haven't heard many coordinators names mentioned as hot commodities for coaching positions. I wonder who TT would target if he wanted a new head coach?

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would disagree that Sherman should be out the door. However, I would like to see him in some player's faces more during a game. I'm certain he makes himself clear after the games but that doesn't seem to be enough.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more than curious to see Jim Bates as a head coach.

1. He is a good defensive coach, obviously. And soon brett will be gone, and it will be important to have a strong defense.

2. When he was an interim coach at Miami, his team was the team that broke the Patriots record setting win streak! HELLO! FRIGGIN MIAMI?! Everybody was like "wtf?" Jim bates beat them, and they were very good offensively.

I am just curious t osee how he does. I think he'd be good.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we got Mr. You play to win the game, i would just laugh every game (win or lose).

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

If Sherm is canned after this season (which my gut instinct tells me is going to happen), Bates would be the best choice for an interim HC. I really feel the way he has improved the defense over last year (with a roster full of rookies, no less) will figure prominantly in any decision upper management makes.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
tromadz said:

If Sherm is canned after this season (which my gut instinct tells me is going to happen), Bates would be the best choice for an interim HC. I really feel the way he has improved the defense over last year (with a roster full of rookies, no less) will figure prominantly in any decision upper management makes.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

I would love to see that your gut instinct was right, and I would love to give Bates a chance, he seems to be the kind of guy that can get blood out of a rock, the kind of coach that his players love to play for, he seems to be a real leader.. and IMHO that is what we need now.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see that your gut instinct was right, and I would love to give Bates a chance, he seems to be the kind of guy that can get blood out of a rock, the kind of coach that his players love to play for, he seems to be a real leader.. and IMHO that is what we need now.

Well said... i could see bates running this team just fine. You look on the sideline during a game and Bates is a ball of fire. This guy must put on 5 miles during a game. They say you lead by example and if Bates surounded himself with a excellent offensive coach this could be just what the packers needed. Hell if mooch gets fired by the lions he could lead our offense just fine...keeping brett here for years to come.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts