Chris Canty

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another name, another threat, right! Well, this one has legs at least: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/chris-canty-set-for-visits-with-packers-and-jaguars/

Apparently, Chris Canty is scheduled to visit Titletown.

My opinion - he's on the wrong side of 30. I would have liked the move in 2008 when we initially were interested in him. But, now, I'm a bit skeptical. He was dinged up last season and his stats are nothing special. He is 6'7" and 300+ though. That's a perfect fit at DE. If he's signed, I assume it'd be for a favorable contract.

Your thoughts? Anyone see him play to know whether he still has some juice left?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy USED us 5 years ago to just up the ante from the Giants.
I don't want him now unless it's cheap.
Rather have Tyson Jackson if possible, much younger.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want him now unless it's cheap.
Rather have Tyson Jackson if possible, much younger.

hahahaha you just gotta trust Thompson's judgment about what Canty is worth. At least they seem to have identified the biggest problem - D Line, especially DE. Getting a decent vet, if indeed Canty is that, AND drafting Jesse Williams or Datone Jones in the first round would fix up both ends of the line.

Reaction score
I'm alright If he's a veteran stop gap - fill a spot til Worthy comes back from his ACL injury or if we have to put Worthy on IR - Draft another DE - get this Canty guy to stop gap for a year ...
idk ... goofy plans, dumb knee injury.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like most veteran FA's, it depends on the price/market for him. If it's a 2-3 year deal for a modest salary, I'm not opposed to it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
At least they seem to have identified the biggest problem - D Line, especially DE.
Agreed. I’m not sure if a healthy Jerel Worthy is the answer at DE in the base. But it’s likely he’ll begin the year on PUP and I won’t be surprised if his 2013 season mirrors Sherrod’s 2012 season: PUP then IR and hope for the best next season. Pickett isn't a prototypical 3-4 DE and neither is Daniels. That leaves Neal and there are question marks surrounding him, too. That's why I think DE is the Packers #1 need.

Although he is 30, like others I favor Canty’s signing for the right price. But he’s already visited two teams and apparently will visit at least one more in addition to the Packers. Any kind of bidding war probably means he won’t end up in Green Bay.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I’m not sure if a healthy Jerel Worthy is the answer at DE in the base. But it’s likely he’ll begin the year on PUP and I won’t be surprised if his 2013 season mirrors Sherrod’s 2012 season: PUP then IR and hope for the best next season. Pickett isn't a prototypical 3-4 DE and neither is Daniels. That leaves Neal and there are question marks surrounding him, too. That's why I think DE is the Packers #1 need.

Although he is 30, like others I favor Canty’s signing for the right price. But he’s already visited two teams and apparently will visit at least one more in addition to the Packers. Any kind of bidding war probably means he won’t end up in Green Bay.

It's a position that should be dual addressed in free agency and also the draft.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't disagree with the need for a DE. But we need a DE, OLB, and Left Tackle desperately. I don't think all three can be addressed adequately this off season unless Thompson makes a venture into free agency which he rarely does.

BigBluePride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Canty is big, strong and has a great attitude. We will miss him on NY Giants. If you guys can get him at the right price, you should take him. He has a good head on his shoulders and knows how to use his size and strength.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with that; the only guy on this roster who looks like a 5 technique right (weak side) DE is Neal, and he's hardly a lock in even the "adequate starter" category. Could be...insufficient evidence.

Worthy is a defensive tackle; I don't see anything to suggest 5 technique on either strong side or weak side. The best he's looked is at 3 technique in nickel. He should be in a 4-3. Besides, it doesn't look like we'll get much out of him next year anyway. Daniels...same thing...3 technique. Raji plays some 5 techinque on the right (weak) side, and a fair amount actually in some match-ups; he looks like a very ordinary player out there.

We signed Saturday for 2 years, $7 mil last year for a position of clear need where a starter-quality guy in the draft would cost a 1st. round pick. This year, there are very few 3-4 RDE types in the draft who can start right away without spending a 1st. round pick; in fact it might take a trade-up.

TT is not chatting with Canty for no reason. He could fit the bill for a couple of years if he is/stays healthy. And TT may be tired of taking draft risks on 4-3 to 3-4 conversions, given the last draft's...ahem...disappointing results. However, if Canty really does have a clean bill of health, TT might be outbid...it depends on whether his desperation quotient is as high as it was last year at the center position.

There are several DT/NT types in the draft top 50 who look like they could play Pickett-style strong side DE while being able to swing inside to nose. If healthy, TT might just sign Canty, draft the DT/NT, call it good and roll the dice.

Then he'll have to find a safety.

H

HardRightEdge

We could do a lot worse. I guess we can conclude that Neal's occasional splash plays were not enough to bump his end-of-the-year grade toward respectability.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could do a lot worse. I guess we can conclude that Neal's occasional splash plays were not enough to bump his end-of-the-year grade toward respectability.

Neal's pressure per snap rate of one every 16.2 led the D-line.

H

HardRightEdge

Can always improve on depth. But hey if you want to make it Canty vs Neal bc you have your view of them set in stone so be it

You won't be paying Canty the money he'll be paid to sit behind Neal on the depth chart.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better than Worthy, Daniels, and Neal so i don't see him being on the bench. It's apparent if you watch the Packers that the d-line is average at best and with just one legit pass rusher that's not going to cut it. TT has missed big on drafting d-linemen so maybe he's taking a different approach, and im fine with that as long as the guy is an upgrade.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better than Worthy, Daniels, and Neal so i don't see him being on the bench. It's apparent if you watch the Packers that the d-line is average at best and with just one legit pass rusher that's not going to cut it. TT has missed big on drafting d-linemen so maybe he's taking a different approach, and im fine with that as long as the guy is an upgrade.

Yeah, "bigs" don't really seem to be in his wheelhouse.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal gets washed away against the run. Providing he stays healthy he's just a backup player. He's not starting material.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the posters here tend to give up way too soon on a player. Especially DLs, it takes a few years to see what you have. These guys take an amazing pounding and a player needs to get used to it and develop more to survive and play effectively. The Suhs and Richard Seymours who are effective early are pretty rare. Daniels, Worthy, Neal, Johnson are all young and still improving.

BTW: I will go out of my normal slow approach to FA, and go after Seymour. He is 33 and may get more than I should pay, but there is a difference. Seymour is a high character guy and even though the Raiders were pathetic last season, he was still playing at an impressively high level - although I only saw 2 or 3 Raider games. He can still collapse a pocket and I think he would provide some solid leadership to that defensive line.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you will find people other than on this particular forum having concerns and doubts about or current DL. I don't think we can look to the current lineup for a contribution other than the two stalwarts, Pickett and Raji. Worthy got hurt so he could develop down the road but I don't see it happening in 2013. The remaining cast are just guys.

I hope Thompson can sign Canty.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've heard this sentiment before and I don’t think players are “using” teams in that circumstance anymore than teams are using players when they waive them. As Ted likes to say, it’s a big boys’ league and both sides know what’s going on. When a player visits Green Bay just to make it appear there’s competition for his services, the Packers have the chance to change his mind. They can sell him on the teams’ success and/or throw money at him. And I don’t have a problem with Packers who become free agents and shop their services to other teams before returning to the Packers. It’s just part of the game once a player earns the right to shop his services and maximize his deal.

Besides any GM that thinks Thompson is going to outbid them or overpay for a player deserves to be fooled. ;)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal gets washed away against the run. Providing he stays healthy he's just a backup player. He's not starting material.
Who doesn't get washed away against the run?
Pickett holds his ground, but he can't move..... if Kaepernick doesn't run right to him, he's a non-factor in that scheme.
Raji got washed away left & right against the run... and his 2011 season was turrible.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who doesn't get washed away against the run?
Pickett holds his ground, but he can't move..... if Kaepernick doesn't run right to him, he's a non-factor in that scheme.
Raji got washed away left & right against the run... and his 2011 season was turrible.
The proof is that Neal was very seldom used in the base defense. The guy who played then was C.J. Wilson. As Bob McGinn said Neal can't hold his own against the run. As far as the immobile Pickett I guess runners were running into him. He had 56 tackles. Drum Roll please...Neal had 8.

No one played well in the SF game but I won't base my analysis on that game alone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts