Chemistry Problem

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, don't shoot me for saying this, but it appears to me that part of the chemistry problem between Favre and his receivers lies partly on him.

It appears he's spending no time on the sidelines with his guys, we've heard stories about how he has no friends (or isn't trying to make any) and he doesn't look like he's having fun on the field, just trying to do a job now.

In the old days he used to be laughing and having a great time with his teammates, but now he appears mad all the time. How does he expect there to be any chemistry if he doesn't try?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, don't shoot me for saying this, but it appears to me that part of the chemistry problem between Favre and his receivers lies partly on him.

It appears he's spending no time on the sidelines with his guys, we've heard stories about how he has no friends (or isn't trying to make any) and he doesn't look like he's having fun on the field, just trying to do a job now.

In the old days he used to be laughing and having a great time with his teammates, but now he appears mad all the time. How does he expect there to be any chemistry if he doesn't try?

yeah, when a WR stops in the middle of his route it is the QB' s fault.
Brilliant!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
amazing

dhpackr, how do you top yourself every day? It's impressive.

listen dude wtf are you saying. JJ stoped right in middle of a route, everyone... even the annoucers said it, even brett, wake up.
really, what is wrong with you man.
are you blind? did you watch the game? is this a joke?

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was one play the point is still there, hes not spending time with his receivers and such on the sidelines like he use to.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was one play the point is still there, hes not spending time with his receivers and such on the sidelines like he use to.
jennings did the same thing on the play b/f hand. brett being friends with his WR will make them run better routes, is that your point?
Really?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vechenzo said:
jennings did the same thing on the play b/f hand. brett being friends with his WR will make them run better routes, is that your point?
Really?

he carries the torch for pyle and depack.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
vechenzo said:
Really?

brilliant post, great thought, i love your ideas on how the qb making friends with his WR makes them run better routes.
you should be proud

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
dhpackr said:
vechenzo said:
Really?

brilliant post, great thought, i love your ideas on how the qb making friends with his WR makes them run better routes.
you should be proud

No but better communication with them makes the offense work better. It amazes me that this has to be explained.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
dhpackr said:
vechenzo said:
Really?

you should be proud

No but better communication with them makes the offense work better. It amazes me that this has to be explained.
sure it does, that took some serious thought on your part.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
vechenzo said:
Really?

Should we call him DePyle then!

Actually I agree with DH on this. The receivers did stop on their routes, but what I hold fault with Favre, and this is through his whole career, is that when he loses faith in a receiver, then he doesn't go back to them. He has always trusted Driver and DD's career has thrived because of it. Fergilicous never had that trust with Brett.

I think we are in a lot better position at WR than anyone realizes. Holiday and Jones are beasts. Jennings is real smooth, and Ruvell can stretch the field. Koren will be along in a few weeks, and you all know Driver will play through the injury.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
dhpackr said:
vechenzo said:
Really?

Actually I agree with DH on this. The receivers did stop on their routes, but what I hold fault with Favre, and this is through his whole career, is that when he loses faith in a receiver, then he doesn't go back to them. He has always trusted Driver and DD's career has thrived because of it. Fergilicous never had that trust with Brett.

I think we are in a lot better position at WR than anyone realizes. Holiday and Jones are beasts. Jennings is real smooth, and Ruvell can stretch the field. Koren will be along in a few weeks, and you all know Driver will play through the injury.
this is to much
peace out, another brilliant post by a true packer fan

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Packnic said:
dhpackr said:
vechenzo said:
Really?

this is to much
peace out, another brilliant post by a true packer fan

Peace out DH, be sure to come back tomorrow, Dude.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I do agree that the receivers made some mistakes, but still, Brett needs to at least ATTEMPT to develop a relationship with the players. I don't know for sure if he doesn't really try, but he just kind of looked like a grumpy old man out there tonight, shunning the receivers somewhat. Now, this could be a good thing as a leader, but I can't see him having a relationship with the players being a bad thing.

Have you actually played football dh? I can't imagine not having any sort of relationship with my players. It's what made me want to play my hardest was for my teammates. I've sure the NFL is a little different, but no matter what, it won't hurt.

Regardless, I thought our passing game looked pretty damn good at times.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett isn't giving the effort, He really does need to pick it up. He said himself, if you play tight you lose focus and forget things. He is getting his receivers "tight".

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree that the receivers made some mistakes, but still, Brett needs to at least ATTEMPT to develop a relationship with the players. I don't know for sure if he doesn't really try, but he just kind of looked like a grumpy old man out there tonight, shunning the receivers somewhat. Now, this could be a good thing as a leader, but I can't see him having a relationship with the players being a bad thing.

I'd imagine it doesn't make it easy when Brett is about 15 years older than some of those guys (give or take a few years). But if he's still there he could make the best of it.

He said himself, if you play tight you lose focus and forget things. He is getting his receivers "tight".

Exactly. Rodgers looked pretty loose and I thought he connected with his guys better than Brett did. Just an observation.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.com

Game balls
Packers quarterback Brett Favre started the game out slinging and completed 14-of-20 passes for 130 (and would have had a TD if the ball wasn't deflected).

You people are too much.

Some of you can't wait to jump on bash Favre for bandwagon for some reason, any reason. Why don't you just say now, "If anything goes wrong, it will always be Brett Favre's fault so we don't have to look anywhere else". That should make some of you happy.

That's ridiculous. "He should make friends with his receivers"? Maybe he should take them out for high tea. WTF? The better communication comes out on the football field with alot of timing and repition, not at some kind of damn EST enounter group where they can all share their feeeelings. :shock:

How about they learn the playbook and run the right god-damn routes for a change? I'm sure they communicate in practice, but they need more work, and McCarthy should have left Favre in for at least a 1/2 to 3/4 of the game. The WR need the work with the 1st string QB.

Rodgers didn't need any more time with Driver.

How is that going to help him when he's on the bench all year this year?

Geesh.

Nobody's worried about the running game?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
amazing

dhpackr, how do you top yourself every day? It's impressive.

listen dude wtf are you saying. JJ stoped right in middle of a route, everyone... even the annoucers said it, even brett, wake up.
really, what is wrong with you man.
are you blind? did you watch the game? is this a joke?

I do not recall JJ dropping a single ball yet and has taken simple crossing routes to the house. Anybody "talking" about one lousy route by him better not talk real loud.

The guy has made both QB's look pretty damn good so far going up over the top, diving for balls, or, whatever.

But then again that's all positive stuff so why bring it up, right?

We can nit pick all day if you want. Brett put a ball too far in front of Greg J. on what would have been a third down pick up. Now this wasn't as obvious as when JJ didn't finish that route but the result was every bit the same. A failed play.

The only reason the word CHEMISTRY is even used in this context is because it relates to the fact that in order create a desired solution it takes the combination of several elements. So I assume that Brett understands he's as much involved in finding the right chemistry as his recievers which is apparantly a little more than some here can grasp.

Reaction score

Rabid, I think Favre definitely talks with his receivers when there are problems, but it isn't always captured by the television cameras.

In TC interviews, Morency and Jones have talked about having chats with Favre when they had problems in the passing game.

Brett said he's at the point of his career where he just wants to win, and making sure he talks with his WRs on the sidelines is an important proponent to winning. So I do believe he does communicate on the sidelines, but he doesn't push the issue too much.

Best to get things straight, and then move on. They'll sort their issues, and then move on and not dwell on the negatives.

Reaction score
Brett isn't giving the effort, He really does need to pick it up.

I have to disagree packerfan.

There was a comment during the Seahawks game where Brett said that all he wants to do is win, and in his free time all he does is watch videos and game tape.

He even commented that on certain days, he'll be the last one to leave Lambeau, because even after the coaches have left he'll still be watching videos to just be better prepared.

I think Brett is taking a lot of measures to make sure he is able to get a better feel for his WRs, and how they'll react to what the opposing team throws at them. There are more ways to gain chemistry than just talking. :)

Exactly. Rodgers looked pretty loose and I thought he connected with his guys better than Brett did. Just an observation.

To be fair Rabid, Rodgers has gotten extensive work with Martin and Jones when he has played.

Martin and Rodgers started on the scout team a couple of years ago, so they know each other quite well.

Jones has gotten the majority of his reps with the second O that has Rodgers at QB. This has allowed Rodgers to build a chemistry with Jones that Favre hasn't had the chance to build.

I think it's still a matter of enough reps between Brett and Jones to make him comfortable again. He already has a repertoire with Jennings and Driver, but I've seen the Packers use a lot more 3 WR sets when the starting O is on the field. So some of the chemistry problems are because of the unfamiliarity with Jones, in my opinion.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is wrong with asking if Favre should share some of the responsibility? The first post is sort of right. It's not all his fault but he needs to own up to his part. Football is a TEAM sport and Brett Favre is apart of the TEAM.

As far as some of the throws goes. James Jones was basically picked on the play by his own guy. Driver ran an out and Jones an in and they nearly ran into each other. I think it's more of a bad play then anything but I do agree that Jones should've kept running. He had alligator arms.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as some of the throws goes. James Jones was basically picked on the play by his own guy. Driver ran an out and Jones an in and they nearly ran into each other. I think it's more of a bad play then anything but I do agree that Jones should've kept running. He had alligator arms.

Good call, Porky.

And really, if its preseason, and I'm a rookie who's performed better than any receiver on the roster(like JJ has) and we're playin the hard-hitting Jags, I'd probably think twice before extending myself blindly into an oncoming safety (who wants to stand out with a huge hit), especially when the play is already kinda broken, and I know that my father-aged QB will just scowl at me and yell that I ran the wrong way.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
And really, if its preseason, and I'm a rookie who's performed better than any receiver on the roster(like JJ has) and we're playin the hard-hitting Jags, I'd probably think twice before extending myself blindly into an oncoming safety (who wants to stand out with a huge hit), especially when the play is already kinda broken, and I know that my father-aged QB will just scowl at me and yell that I ran the wrong way.

Although, if it had turned into an interception that would be completely unacceptable. If it was 3rd down it would have been completely unacceptable as well.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Although, if it had turned into an interception that would be completely unacceptable. If it was 3rd down it would have been completely unacceptable as well.

I disagree. Its preseason, he's already got a spot locked up, no use risking a serious injury at this stage. Just my opinion, though.

Members online

Latest posts