Charles Woodson to Safety and the Okie

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A few days ago Jason Wilde wrote a piece in which he says McCarthy’s recent statements hint at how Woodson will be used this season.

Last edited:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I believe you're right ThxJack. I don't think Shields is hurt by his performance last year, I think Joe Whitt's high opinion of him early last year is worthy. I think he will be coached up and be ready to go. This offseason should be monstrous for his development. I think House will improve and Hayward could see more time mid-season or if an injury puts him closer to the field.
I've wonder what people mean by moving Woodson to safety, he often plays that role anyway. Capers D is predicated on keeping the offense guessing and now that we have some new pieces (Nick Perry and Worthy and others) it will be back to the guessing game for opposing offenses.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys realize how lucky were are regarding Woodson?
Not only how lucky to have landed him in 2006, but how lucky he has stayed so healthy, and been this good this long!

He was part of the same draft class as Ryan Leaf, Randy Moss, Fred Taylor..... so many guys long gone and washed up from that class.... here we are still counting on Wood to be great. Amazing...... meanwhile Collins was drafted 7 years later and was just hitting his prime. :(

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Further ... am I embellishing history a bit or no? Seems to me that prior to Eugene Robinson's arrival in Green Bay following the '95 season, the Pack's defensive backfield was shall we say....um... a bit porous? I seem to recall LeRoy Butler commenting that the addition of Robinson, his teaching ability...his technical skills...was a major reason for that '96 defense to become what it was.

Same with Woodson? I'd be happy to see Woodson moved to Safety.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think you’re right about Eugene Robinson, weeds:

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stat of the Week

Where Woodson lined up Plays Percent of his snaps
  • Left slot corner 256 24.0%
  • Left corner 254 23.8%
  • Right slot corner 247 23.1%
  • Strong safety (close to line, covering in-line TE) 198 18.5%
  • Right corner 57 5.3%
  • Free safety (off line, not covering one player) 56 5.2%

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last week that Charles Woodson will be moved on some downs to safety this season. But in checking with Pro Football Focus -- actually, it wasn't difficult to check, seeing that PFF poobah Neil Hornsby is traveling with me on the trip, and started tapping away on his HP laptop, and he had my answer in three minutes -- Woodson's "switch'' is not really going to be unusual for him. "We want him to play closer to the ball,'' McCarthy said. But he's already, in effect, played some safety for the Packers.

According to Pro Football Focus, Green Bay had 1,182 defensive plays in 17 games (including the playoff loss). Woodson played 1,068 of those plays. The breakdown of where Woodson played at the snap of the ball on those 1,068 plays is in the chart above.
As you can see, the numbers say Woodson played safety last year, in the strict sense of the term, on 254 plays (198 at strong safety, 56 at free), a total of 23.8 percent of the defensive snaps. I'm not sure Woodson, at 35, is going to play an altogether different role this year than last.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/07/29/mmqb/index.html#ixzz2270M9RRc

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown Frank. Looks like things are progressing as expected. And Jack's comments about Peprah were right. Good call

Members online

Latest posts