Charles Robinson's NFC Rankings

bt_impaler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was feeling good until net brought up the fact that SF's offense was ranked 32nd last year. Does it concern anyone that our head coach was the coordinator of the worst offense last year? Am I being a pessimist by letting this get to me?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you are a pessimist.

The 49ers have been purging talent from the players and coaching staff under the leadership of John York in an effort to get back on solid financial ground after "chasing the dragon" for many years.

Take that lack of talent, and add a first year QB who was transitioning from shotgun to pro-set, and you have all the makings of a disaster.

Look at what MM did at all other stops. He made bad units respectable and decent units good.

I like him from what little I have to make an assessment.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bt_impaler said:
I was feeling good until net brought up the fact that SF's offense was ranked 32nd last year. Does it concern anyone that our head coach was the coordinator of the worst offense last year? Am I being a pessimist by letting this get to me?

It concerns me a little but he had a rookie QB with no support starting for him. He should be able to open it up a little more with Favre and gang.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bt_impaler said:

Subsequently was a highly successful offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints (2000-04), presiding over the most prolific offensive era in that franchise's four decades. With McCarthy calling plays, the Saints racked up 10 offensive team records and 25 individual marks. He was named NFC Assistant Coach of the Year by USA Today in 2000,

Points scored: 354 (#10 of 31 in the NFL)
Points scored: 333 (#13 of 31 in the NFL)
Points scored: 432 (#3 of 32 in the NFL)
Points scored: 340 (#14 of 32 in the NFL)

bt_impaler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping he does, and I like the mindset/attitude that has been promoted in the off season. However, I still have my reservations. We have talent on the defensive side of the ball - even though I wish we should resign Grady. Our scheme will be the same, so that will be good for them. Sanders may not have the charisma Bates have, but I think he'll make the most of this opportunity.

Offense is the biggest question mark. I like McCarthy's idea of working with big receivers. It seems last year we abandoned the short passing game in favor of long passes that were oft intercepted. We used to run the quick slant to perfection - time to do it again with Jennings in the slot. The zone blocking scheme is responsible for a couple of the top running games in the league, so that's something again that would be nice to work with us. Most importantly, I hope that the line can protect Farve. I don't want to see him toss that ball up for grabs like he did last year.

The problem is that there are so many question marks. Will Sanders do as well as Bates? Can McCarthy turn around this offense? Will Green and Davenport return to form? Can those rookies fill the middle of the O-line and make it work? Who will step up and take pressure off of Driver?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
bt_impaler said:

Subsequently was a highly successful offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints (2000-04), presiding over the most prolific offensive era in that franchise's four decades. With McCarthy calling plays, the Saints racked up 10 offensive team records and 25 individual marks. He was named NFC Assistant Coach of the Year by USA Today in 2000,

Good find....but breaking team records in New Orleans isn't exactly something you put on the top line of your resume' :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack said:
longtimefan said:
bt_impaler said:

Good find....but breaking team records in New Orleans isn't exactly something you put on the top line of your resume' :lol:

No, but people want to bash him for having the worse O in Frisco last year, but forget what he did in N.O.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that Najeh plays like an animal this year. He was really coming on last year when he went down..and it was no ticky-tack thing that took him out. Rather, it was a broken bone in or around the ankle. Freakish accident how it went down. There is a contract to be played for, and I feel he will make the most of it. Add to that a healthy Green (fingers crossed) also fighting for a future, and a surging Samkon Gado.....we should be ok in the running game.

More than anything else, McCarthy will remain committed to the run. MS tended to give up running at the first hint of difficulty...which took away play-action.....Brett Favre's meal ticket for his entire career.

Add to that a re-emphasis on a deep and talented TE corp....we will be fine on O as long as the guards are functional or better.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that Najeh plays like an animal this year. He was really coming on last year when he went down..and it was no ticky-tack thing that took him out. Rather, it was a broken bone in or around the ankle. Freakish accident how it went down. There is a contract to be played for, and I feel he will make the most of it. Add to that a healthy Green (fingers crossed) also fighting for a future, and a surging Samkon Gado.....we should be ok in the running game.

More than anything else, McCarthy will remain committed to the run. MS tended to give up running at the first hint of difficulty...which took away play-action.....Brett Favre's meal ticket for his entire career.

Add to that a re-emphasis on a deep and talented TE corp....we will be fine on O as long as the guards are functional or better.

I hope you're right about Davenport. He has had trouble with his feet since college.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but this was not his feet. The guy fell just right on his ankle to break it clean. That is something of an anomoly as tears, strains and sprains are far more typical.

Broken eye socket, broken ankle....both rather freakish. He is primed for a healthy and productive season.

Plus, the "one cut" nature of running in a zone blocking scheme plays to his strengths...pick it, hit it, go.....smashing all who should impede your progress. Nohing fancy...just good, aggressive football.

I envision some sore LBs and safeties in his wake.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

the way davenport runs hes going to take hits like the one that took him out last year hes a big back whos a big target to hit plus in other years hes always battled nagging injuries.
green wasnt playing too well before the injury i forget what the number was but wasnt something like 9 games without going over 100 yards rushing and some of those games he still had wahle and rivera
gado was a nice surprise but he wasnt the most consistent and now teams know about him
i think and upgrade at RB is needed and WR and guard

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
We do have some new (better) players to add to the mix. Having to come together as a unit will take a little time but is somewhat old hat for players and coaches these days with constant turnover being the norm.

My concern isn't as much over the veteran players who see a lot of changes each year, but rather all of the rookies. We had 15 rookies make the opening day roster last season. This year it's likely we'll see another 15 rookies on the opening day roster. That's 30 out of 53 players with 1 year or less experience. Add to that a rookie HC and we're bound to have mistakes.

I know the reasons involved with these changes and I agree that it is the best direction for the team. But with inexperience comes mistakes and a learning curve. It's going to take time for us to get on top again. I just hope Favre decides to stick around for the 2007 season, because it might be very good in GB if he does.

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby, I think you hit it right on the head.

With the lack of quality starters at several positions and no depth it would have been a serious mistake to go get three or four high priced FA's thinking we could make a run.

We should be much closer next year, however, and hopefully be at a stage where we need to just tweak a few things and a realistic run can be made.
Give these guys a years experience and Brett give it one more and look out.

Members online

Latest posts