Charles Johnson is gone

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Instead creating straw men, why not argue against the point I ACTUALLY made. Go back and look, dude. I said HE'S NOT READY TO PLAY because he's GOTTEN NO WORK.

Donald Driver's catches in his first 3 seasons were 3, 21 and 13, respectively.

Reed and Rice were productive in their first seasons, but hardly stars.

Rice: 1st. round pick, stardom in year 2
Reed: 4th. round pick, solid from the start, first 1,000 yd. season in year 5.
Driver: 7th. round pick, inconsequential in year 1, bit player in years 2 and 3, feature receiver in year 4.
Johnson: 7th. round pick, ?

You really had to go back 30 years to find examples?

C'mon, dude, get real.
The Browns disagree with you, and there's plenty of work to be gotten now. No time like the present to learn.

Where did Cruz go? Where did Colston go?

H

HardRightEdge

The Browns disagree with you, and there's plenty of work to be gotten now. No time like the present to learn.

Where did Cruz go? Where did Colston go?

Cruz played 3 games with no catches his rookie year. U Mass was FCS at the time.

With Colston you have an argument. Hofstra, 7th. round, 1,000+ as a rookie. However, did he miss all of camp and preseason, and then switch teams? I made a point of the "and" with Johnson if that wasn't obvious ;)...small college AND no work...now he has to learn a new system before even having a chance to learn the first one on a team with a QB controversy.

Even if Colston had been hurt and bounced around, think about how rare it is for a small college 7th. rounder to get play at WR his rookie year? Most of the major college first rounders have struggles.

I'm not saying Cleveland won't throw him out there at some point, but that doesn't mean they should. I'm not yet familiar with they're level of desperation. I'm sure they like the guy, had to put him on the 53 to keep him, and figured they might get some inside poop about what the Pack might be up to. Everybody likes a two-fer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I think it was crystal clear where I was headed in the first place. You didn't read the post. How about you try to read what's there, not what you want to be there? Better luck next time.

Allow me to demonstrate. Your thought would have been better conveyed as follows:

Rice and Reed were productive in their first years but had not yet become stars.

See? Much better. English is a marvelously colorful language.

Truce? Sure. I'm always at peace when not being baited.

Likewise.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he got a big whiff today..... how many dropped passes?
Not sure if it was him breaking his route off too soon or Rodgers under throwing it.....probably both. The 2 looked like they had never practiced that play together though.

H

HardRightEdge

Allow me to demonstrate. Your thought would have been better conveyed as follows:

Rice and Reed were productive in their first years but had not yet become stars.

See? Much better. English is a marvelously colorful language.

LMAO

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like charles johnson suffered a torn acl too, according to pft.com. maybe just being a packer at some point is snake biting these guys

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow!!! According to the story he showed up to his physical with the torn ACL. Who still signs a guy anyways in that condition? Secondly...how the hell did Pepper and his guys not catch this. He could have been protected on IR then.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow!!! According to the story he showed up to his physical with the torn ACL. Who still signs a guy anyways in that condition? Secondly...how the hell did Pepper and his guys not catch this. He could have been protected on IR then.
Wouldn't we have to sign him to a minimum contract to put him on IR?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You used the fact that Johnson went to a small school as one of your reasons to dismiss him. I debunked that idea thoroughly with 2 prime examples among many others.

You're suffering from selective reading. He's not dismissing him, he's dismissing him FOR. THIS. YEAR. Charles Johnson may go on to set every single reason receiving record. This year, even if he was healthy, he's not even a project. He's a tree to be cut down next year to turn into the wood that will become a project.

Other great players, including Jerry Rice, had pedestrian rookie seasons. Coming from a small school contributes to that.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're suffering from selective reading. He's not dismissing him, he's dismissing him FOR. THIS. YEAR. Charles Johnson may go on to set every single reason receiving record. This year, even if he was healthy, he's not even a project. He's a tree to be cut down next year to turn into the wood that will become a project.

Other great players, including Jerry Rice, had pedestrian rookie seasons. Coming from a small school contributes to that.

Nothing selective about it. I was specifically pointing that that being from a small school is no reason to dismiss a player. That happens to be true. The NFL has tons of quality players from small time schools. The Packers alone have 7 or 8 on the active roster. I had no argument with the rest of it. Why are you churning this back up after 3 days?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The Browns, for the rights to him next year. From what I hear, HRE told them he was immediately going to be a stud hoping they'd play an liability WR next week. Then when they found his comments here, they figured if he was a year away they could just put him on the NFI list until then. Factory of sadness.

12theTruth

WTH @ Charles Johnson

Packers are getting sick of keeping all these injuries to themselves. No time like the present to share them with the league starting with this weeks opponent- the Browns.

At the rate we're going MOST of the Packer players will be injured pretty soon :sick: so why not just keep the token healthy guys on a seperate squad, rename the injured reserve the healthy reserve and the injured can join the rest of the crippled on the main roster. LOL

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Further indictment of the training staff?
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/2351/starter-pack-the-most-bizarre-injury-of-all
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/2351/starter-pack-the-most-bizarre-injury-of-all

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Not sure if it was him breaking his route off too soon or Rodgers under throwing it.....probably both. The 2 looked like they had never practiced that play together though.

I`m SO glad you said that. I like Aaron Rodgers but, in my opinion there has been a lot of over and under throwing as well as poor catches too of course. I`m all for blame where blame is necessary but all the overthrows can`t be blamed totally on the recievers ability. JMHO

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a good story about Charles Johnson in the Mpls paper this morning. The portrait that the author paints of McCarthy isn't flattering, but we're rivals so I understand:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/283437931.html

Not bad for a kid from Division II Grand Valley State. A kid who was drafted by the Packers in the seventh round a year ago.

A kid who apparently made little impact on Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who was at a loss Wednesday when asked to explain Johnson’s most appealing trait during the predraft process.

“Ah, hmm,” said McCarthy, searching for something to say.

“I’m kind of going back to his grades. Um, nothing that I can really jump off the charts with here. I don’t have my personnel hat on today.”

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The portrait that the author paints of McCarthy isn't flattering, but we're rivals so I understand:
I don't think it was unflattering. McCarthy has a lot more to think and worry about other than a rookie who wasn't healthy enough to challenge for a roster spot.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I seen the Vikes ended up with Charles Johnson. He had some supremely awesome stats in d2. All the physical skills. He looked like he belongs for sure.
I will be watching

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, it makes it look like McCarthy barely knows about the Vikings most productive WR as of lately. I know that's not the case, but I think the article paints him in that light.

This obviously isn't a big deal

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think it was unflattering. McCarthy has a lot more to think and worry about other than a rookie who wasn't healthy enough to challenge for a roster spot.
Right...so McCarthy couldn't remember why they drafted Charles Johnson off the top of his head. Big deal. If memory serves, Johnson missed all or nearly all of his rookie training camp with an injury. McCarthy would have had little experience with him. Show him a little tape and his memory would be jogged I'm sure. Thompson knows why he drafted him...6 years from now he might bring him back in off the street.

Johnson's a small college WR, with his 3rd. team, logging 12 career catches midway through his second season. He should be just starting to get the hang of the pro game. He could turn out to be a player. Or maybe not. Regardless, he certainly couldn't crack out top 3 WRs, and maybe not the top 5 or 6 or 7 WRs today, considering Janis, Abbrederis and White.

Members online

Latest posts