Charles Brown

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone heard much about this Charles Brown OT out of USC? I have seen on numerous mocks that the Packers are going to take this guy... along with a CB from Kentucky in the second round.... Can I get a little input from the Green and Gold nation?

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I'd like it if the Pack got him in the 1st. He probably won't start right away and that's good because Brown has to really learn a lot, but he has huge "upside". He needs to add some weight, at least 10-15 pounds and hopefully doesn't lose his quickness from doing that. He's very familiar with the ZBS, so that's another reason to get him in the 1st.

The Draft Shack talks all about his Pro's and Con's.

Charles Brown

Positives: Good height and length... Good athlete... Quick hands... Very productive pass blocker... Very quick feet in pass protection... Effective hand punch and is able to keep ends where he wants them to be... Has put on lots of weight in the past and has not lost athleticism... Generally quick in the open field... Gets to the 2nd level easily... Plays to the whistle and is very aggressive... Very hard working and is vastly improved during his time at USC
Negatives: Small and needs to get stronger in both upper and lower body... Has added lots of weight, may have maxed out frame?...Must improve technique in both kick steps, and hand placement if he wants to succeed as an undersized lineman... Good athlete, but not as good as a sub-300 pounder normally is... General consistency issues
Tony's Pro Prediction: Brown has a lot of work to do if he wants to be the type of franchise tackle that should come from the first round. I'm not going to put it past him to become an all-pro as he has done a lot of work at USC to make himself better, but at this time I don't see him becoming that. If he can put on about 20 pounds he will be in much better shape going against some of the stronger ends in the league. If your team drafts him, and he shows up to camp at the 290 that he's been at USC don't expect him to have a great impact, but if he has put on more weight it shows he understands what he needs to do in the pros and he will be on the right path.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, any OL expert out there, feel free to correct me...

But from what I've seen from him, he's quick, has very good feet, but doesn't bend very well. He plays too high, and gets bullrushed too easily.

And the games I've seen (Ohio State, namely) he's not a mean run blocker, and doesn't hold his opponent enough (not by holding, by mantaining consistant push...). But really, we're used to not have mean run blockers in the tackle positions...

The way I see him, he's not going to start next year, he's a project, but he has the talent to be at least a solid starter in the pros.

IMHO he wouldn't improve our line immediately; a reason I envision other players at the #23.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't want anybody on our team that falls for this over and over again:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Not the same guy, you say?

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO he wouldn't improve our line immediately; a reason I envision other players at the #23.
So, it is not even sure with a top-10 pick to get a starting OLineMan, but at 23?! I can see Bulaga in some very special circumstances becoming a starter at 23, but there's not at all a guarantee for that. I think Brown, and oh yeah he got tons of upside and btw. does a terrific job on screen passes(we like 'em a lot), 'cause of his athleticism. And Brown, admiteddly I'm on his bandwaggon a 'lil bit, improved a heckuva lot during the season, and USC-Ohio State was in September.
But anyway: if Bulaga isn't available at #23, I feel not to familiar with an OT there.(Gotta consider a downtrade(TT who?) or a BPA-Pick)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, it is not even sure with a top-10 pick to get a starting OLineMan, but at 23?! I can see Bulaga in some very special circumstances becoming a starter at 23, but there's not at all a guarantee for that. I think Brown, and oh yeah he got tons of upside and btw. does a terrific job on screen passes(we like 'em a lot), 'cause of his athleticism. And Brown, admiteddly I'm on his bandwaggon a 'lil bit, improved a heckuva lot during the season, and USC-Ohio State was in September.
But anyway: if Bulaga isn't available at #23, I feel not to familiar with an OT there.(Gotta consider a downtrade(TT who?) or a BPA-Pick)
Actually, after further review, I think Charles Brown COULD be an instant upgrade in our OL. Given the way he progressed at USC, if he's able to gain 20 pounds, and if he can mantain his frame, he'll make our OL better.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheRQNNgK64]YouTube - LT Charles Brown Highlights/Lowlights 2009 USC[/ame]

As I've said, he plays a little bit high, and isn't a nasty punisher, but his hands and feet are just terrific... Plus, he already knows the ZBS, he's better than I remembered at finding his man in the running game (though still needs a lot of work in there)

I'd be thrilled if we took him, and I believe he can be the CM3 of the 2010; a player that wasn't ready in college, but progressed each year, and wasn't projected to start, but ended up making a HUGE contribution to the team.
-
About Bulaga, it's my concept, and of a lot packer bloggers and scouts, that he's just ordinary. He is more ready than the other OL, but his upside is low, he's not athletic nor strong enough to be an elite LT in the pros, and his hands are average. His technique is very good, and he's nasty in the running game, though.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mockingthedraft now lists Brown's weight up to 298. I have to agree with PackersRS that after watching the film Brown has the best potential among all other lineman in this draft. If Brown is good at a smaller frame imagine how good he can be with NFL conditioning and training.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will go in the 2nd round. The pack should draft the best player regardless of position.

We can't risky it, i hear that the cowboys and colts are also in the market for an OT. Best case scenario would be to trade our first rounder away to the tampa bay buccs for their 2 second rounders and hope that he falls to the first 1.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Iupati OG can start right away .......even though OG is not a priorty.........he would instantly upgrade our O-line. If a guy like Charles Brown can't just walk in and start right away at Left Tackle, then we can just get maybe Ciron Black or Roger Saffold in the second round. Clifton will be back anyhow for at least 1 more year. No way do we use a 1st round pick for someone who has alot of upside or won't be on the field right away. Just my opinion.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Mike Iupati OG can start right away .......even though OG is not a priorty.........he would instantly upgrade our O-line. If a guy like Charles Brown can't just walk in and start right away at Left Tackle, then we can just get maybe Ciron Black or Roger Saffold in the second round. Clifton will be back anyhow for at least 1 more year. No way do we use a 1st round pick for someone who has alot of upside or won't be on the field right away. Just my opinion.
I'm beginning to think that you're Mike Iupati. :lol:

You have 4 posts, and every one of them has that dude's name in it.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about Brown.........and the more I read about him, I really would not mind if we got him. Alot of people as of late are talking about Campbell........but I just don't want a injury prone guy in the 1st round.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about Brown.........and the more I read about him, I really would not mind if we got him. Alot of people as of late are talking about Campbell........but I just don't want a injury prone guy in the 1st round.

Me neither, I want a guy who can maintain his health and contribute his skills for an entire 16 games. I don't want a lineman who we can rotate with clifton simply because they are as likely to get as injured as clifton.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a snippet into the pass blocking drills for the combine. Basically the OTs mirror the defender to prevent the inside or outside blitzes. If you skip to 3:02 you'll see that Charles Brown did SUPERB in this drill. I would really like him now with the 23rd pick.

NFL Videos: OL mirror drill

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just hoping we hear.........."with the 23rd pick in the NFL draft........the Green Bay Packers pick Charles Brown......Offensive Tackle". Then we can focus on the rest of the draft......and lay to rest......hopefully .....the whole Left tackle issue.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just hoping we hear.........."with the 23rd pick in the NFL draft........the Green Bay Packers pick Charles Brown......Offensive Tackle". Then we can focus on the rest of the draft......and lay to rest......hopefully .....the whole Left tackle issue.
Second to that!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone remember Zack Follet from Cal? Well I thought he should've been drafted by the Pack last season considering that he was an ANIMAL on the field. However to illustrate Charles Brown's potential I wanted to show you guys a mean block he put on this monster at 6:02 of the bottom vid. Btw if you're interested in what I said about Zack Follet I encourage you to look at the whole tape. Too bad he got drafted by the lions :(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGw04KvGZVk]YouTube - Zack Follet #56 Career Highlights[/ame]

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone remember Zack Follet from Cal? Well I thought he should've been drafted by the Pack last season considering that he was an ANIMAL on the field. However to illustrate Charles Brown's potential I wanted to show you guys a mean block he put on this monster at 6:02 of the bottom vid. Btw if you're interested in what I said about Zack Follet I encourage you to look at the whole tape. Too bad he got drafted by the lions :(
Follet looks pretty good. That was not in the NFL though. If he had those kind of highlights in a Lions uniform........that would be different. The block you are refering to in the video......or lack there of......could be shown probably on every offensive tackle in the draft..........not to mention just about every Packer o lineman.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think Brown is good but not a 23rd pick good. If Bulaga does not (cross the fingers he does) drop to us then I can not justify passing up some other much more talented players at 23. We would need to trade down to 2nd round to take Brown. I have seen mocks where players like Earl Thomas fall past 23. I also would take players like Kyle Wilson, Sergio kindle, and Ryan Mathews over Brown. If we do not trade down and take better talent at 23 and Brown is taken before our 2nd pick, which I believe he would be, then I would be more than happy if we could get Rodger Saffold at 56. Again IMO.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My new mantra for the upcoming draft "charles brown or trade down."
I don't know if I would trade down in the first. I just feel their are guys at Safety,Corner, OLB,OT and Guard....that will be there. Maybe not OT depending on whats left when we pick. I even have seen the DE Odrick falling in a couple mock drafts.

Members online