Changing of the guard on the DL

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You're ignoring all of the evidence I have provided that shoots the static 2-4 down, and shows the way Dom plays it is suicide.

You haven´t provided any evidence that would suggest playing a different scheme would result in better numbers for the defense. The only thing you have done is provide some information about the percentages of teams lining up in a 2-4 formation (wherever you´ve got them from), in the process listing five teams that play a 4-3 defense and not providing any information about nine other 3-4 defenses.

In addition you still haven´t answered my simple question about how you would cover either the TE or RB lining up with only one ILB.

I have criticized Capers in the past and I´m not convinced it was the right move to hold on to him this offseason, but your obsession with the 2-4 formation being the only reason for the defensive shortcomings is getting more and more ridiculous with each of your posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You haven´t provided any evidence that would suggest playing a different scheme would result in better numbers for the defense. The only thing you have done is provide some information about the percentages of teams lining up in a 2-4 formation (wherever you´ve got them from), in the process listing five teams that play a 4-3 defense and not providing any information about nine other 3-4 defenses.

As I said, if I didn't list a team, it is b/c they didn't play any 2-4 or 3-3.

Since we play far more 2-4 than any team in the league, and we have one of the worst defenses in the league - perhaps there is a correlation??

The sad reality is - it would be hard to produce any worse results running any other scheme, b/c afterall - we do, in fact, have one of the worst defenses in the league.

If you want to continue to try and defend that - have at it.

In addition you still haven´t answered my simple question about how you would cover either the TE or RB lining up with only one ILB.

You didn't ask me how I would defend a TE and RB with only 1 ILB - you asked me how I would defend them with no ILB's. So I answered your question by saying that I would have a LB in the middle - and if you looked at the links I provided, I gave examples of how Capers used the 2-4 in the past to bring pressure with Matthews coming on the blitz from the ILB position.

I also gave you examples of how Matthews dropped into coverage and we ended up with a sack by disguising the front and blitzing from the other side.

You've chosen to ignore all of that, and march forward as obtuse as you can be.

I have criticized Capers in the past and I´m not convinced it was the right move to hold on to him this offseason, but your obsession with the 2-4 formation being the only reason for the defensive shortcomings is getting more and more ridiculous with each of your posts.

The 2-4 isn't the only reason we've labored on defense. Injuries are a valid excuse to some extent; the constant influx of youth over experience certainly plays a huge role; etc.

But the 2-4 is the biggest outlier. I've demonstrated that very effectively.

What is ridiculous is your, and every other rube on this forum being so drunk with Green and Gold Kool-Aid that you can't objectively analyze your team.

We're done here.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But the 2-4 is the biggest outlier. I've demonstrated that very effectively.
No you haven’t. For example, you haven’t dealt with how effective it was in 2010.
What is ridiculous is your, and every other rube on this forum being so drunk with Green and Gold Kool-Aid that you can't objectively analyze your team.
This is a good example of the immature child who can’t handle others disagreeing with him.
We're done here.
We aren’t. You are.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That explanation lets the defense off the hook way too easy. Only one of the six teams holding opponents to under 100 rushing yards per game last season had a top 10 scoring offense, one of them scored even less points than the Packers did while Rodgers was out.

I'm not letting them totally off the hook...but the D was on the field significantly more when Rodgers when out

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not letting them totally off the hook...but the D was on the field significantly more when Rodgers when out

It´s true the defense was on the field more often once Rodgers got hurt, but it´s not as significant as you might think (31:28 per game when Rodgers was out compared to 27:31 when he played).

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s true the defense was on the field more often once Rodgers got hurt, but it´s not as significant as you might think (31:28 per game when Rodgers was out compared to 27:31 when he played).
How many seconds does it take to score? Defense out there for 4 more minutes is a scoring drive

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

How many seconds does it take to score? Defense out there for 4 more minutes is a scoring drive

They were out there for four more minutes because they couldn´t stop anybody though, not necessarily because Rodgers was hurt.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were out there for four more minutes because they couldn´t stop anybody though, not necessarily because Rodgers was hurt.
You just gave me a stat w rodgers out showing an additional 4 minutes playtime for the d...you cannot say his absence didn't effect the d...I understand both were involved, but jeez ur getting stubborn on me

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You just gave me a stat w rodgers out showing an additional 4 minutes playtime for the d...you cannot say his absence didn't effect the d...I understand both were involved, but jeez ur getting stubborn on me

I just think that Rodgers´ injury shouldn´t be considered the main reason for the defense´s downfall in the second half of the season.

Members online

Latest posts