Changes Afoot on the Offensive Line?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok with that. I would love to see Lang go to the right side, Bulaga to the left and to find a replacement for Colledge. Wells is ok, but if we have a bigger body to put in his place, I'm ok with it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at least their addressing it instead of putting it off like they have been. Wish we had a franchise LT though...

But drafting a franchise Tackle pretty much means you have to draft in the top 1/2 of the draft. Since 2007 their has been 15 pro bowl tackles. Of those 15, 9 have been drafted in the first round, with 7 of the 9 taken in the first 10 picks and none taken lower than 19. As for the other 6, 5 were drafted in the 2nd round and 1 was an undrafted FA.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to be able to pass protect.

There's no use of bulking up the OL if they can't pass protect. Every move in 09 was made for the line to be stronger in the rush (Barbre at RT, Spitz at C), but they were so awful at pass protect, that it failed miserably.

So, any move, the first thing is to make sure that there isn't a dropoff in pass protect.

Then, I'd like for the line to be bulked up. TJ Lang is a plus in the run department to both Colledge and Clifton, and McDonald is stronger than Wells.

But if they can't pass protect as well, there's no use in making those changes IMHO.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be ok with it... just hope there'll be a season to see it

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
We need to be able to pass protect.

There's no use of bulking up the OL if they can't pass protect. Every move in 09 was made for the line to be stronger in the rush (Barbre at RT, Spitz at C), but they were so awful at pass protect, that it failed miserably.

So, any move, the first thing is to make sure that there isn't a dropoff in pass protect.

Then, I'd like for the line to be bulked up. TJ Lang is a plus in the run department to both Colledge and Clifton, and McDonald is stronger than Wells.

But if they can't pass protect as well, there's no use in making those changes IMHO.
Absolutely agree. The thing is, this season has completely changed the way I look at the draft. I know we've had injuries before, but one area that really can't decline is the offensive line.
I don't think we need a pro bowl tackle at either end though it would be nice. But we do need a very good set with another good one behind those two.
I think Bulaga is going to be very good based on this year, he will get so much better next year. As a rookie he's getting by mostly on his talent, he'll learn alot during this offseason and barring injury will be as good as anybody on the line.
From what MM says, I have to believe Lang is right there too, he's had some time to learn and develop. Now we need that third guy, the backup. Bulaga was Big 10 offensive lineman of the year, I'd love to see them add Gabe Carimi, this year's big 10 lineman of the year. Look him up, he's impressive.
With the tackles set for years to come, we can address the guard position with maybe Newhouse? He was a tackle so you have to figure he's at least a bit nimble, wide body can work in the zone blocking scheme because he has better than average OG movement.
I wish I knew where Spitz is at from the coaches perspective, he was nasty when he was playing.

Members online

Latest posts