1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Celebrating Star Wars return to the big screen

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Bogart, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings Received:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    LOL!

Yeah, I remember waiting for that movie. I was a senior in high school, I cut my afternoon classes with some friends and we watched it the first day it was released. WHAT A LETDOWN! Ugh!

That review is awesome, it's right on point! LOL!
  3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,257 / 49 / -15
    I hope it bombs at the box office.
    Even if it does, that won't teach George a thing.
    He'll just be a pig headed stubborn old fool and keep on giving us this crap even though we don't want it.
  4. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings Received:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    What I find funny is George Lucas saying that 3D is better than a regular movie, cause color is better than black and white. And now he's defending one of his worst changes to the original movies claiming "Han never shot first"

This pretty much sums up how I think we all feel about Lucas now

• Like Like x 1
  5. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,257 / 49 / -15
    Did we really need to know Vader's backstory?
    The other thing to notice is how slick and clean looking, from set design, to the ships to technology the prequel movies are to the original trilogy.

I liked the link to the Plinkett reviews that Bogart had.
    In one of those even George Luca$h admits that it is overwhelming. That he was overdoing it but that he couldn't fix it in any way.
    The first three movies were just much more simple compared to the more recent 3. It all became one big mess.
    Luca$h shouldn't have made PM - Sith. He should have just focused on writing or directing other projects. But for some reason he just likes to play around with SW making it worse and worse.
    Oh well. It is what it is and the only thing I can do about it is to ignore it by not watching it anymore which is enough.
  6. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings Received:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

My problem with Vader's back story was how poorly managed it was.

Luke was a character we rooted for because we loved him. Anakin, I never liked. He comes off as a spoiled little brat that just wants to have his way and blames everything on other people. That's why I didn't care seeing him get burned or his arm chopped off. When Luke had his hand chopped off, I think everyone was screaming cause they didn't want to see him die.

Star Wars never was about being perfect, but the characters we fell in love with made everything better. That's really the problem with the prequels. They are fancy, and yes I agree waaaay too much green screen CGI crap, but it would have been better had Lucas made the characters feel like actual human beings. They all felt like card board cut outs, including Ewan McGregor whom I think is a fine actor outside those movies.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings Received:
    +674 / 1 / -1
    Totally agree. :rolleyes:

I must be one of the fortunate ones as i have not seen any of these remakes/prequels, the first three are all that matters to me and im happy with great childhood memories. You can have all the CGI known to man it doesnt mean anything, if the story and the characters come across as fake you know its not worth the effort in watching.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,257 / 49 / -15
    You helped me realize what was really missing from the PT. (Prequel Trilogy) It should be different than the Original Trilogy (OT) right?
    It should be a different story and have different elements even set designs (Less CGI for that. Interaction with an actual costumed performer would have probably helped with the acting) but the main similarity it should have to bridge the gap would be the character development or characters that we should care about.
    And Plinkett pointed out how much Yoda had changed. So characters that were in both OT and PT should have stayed the same. Instead we get a light saber Yoda who jumps around and looks like a little monkey instead. Just too ridiculous.
    There are a lot of things that are explained in the OT but when they show them in the PT it's like "Wait, I thought it was supposed to go this way." (Leia remembering her mother who died right after she was born. Obi-Wan not remembering R2D2 etc.)
    And of course the over use of light sabers.
    There was also the clunky love story. Sure, it can be there but it should have better writing.
    Everyone who was with Luca$h on the PT was a "Yes Man" when he needed people to challenge him as they did for the OT which is what helped make those better.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings Received:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

Oh yeah LMFAO Leia told Luke she remembered her mom, in the prequels Padme dies giving birth LOL LOL that was one of the worst WTF moments Lucas created.

I'm not a fan of CGI at all. I guess I am more old school when it comes to movies, and that's why I was like wow, Lucas is so stupid when he recently said that watching a movie in color is much better than black and white, as watching a movie in 3D is better than a normal movie.

But as far as blue/green screen and CGI goes, it just shreds the life out of the picture. The PT did have some good actors in it, most notably, Ewan McGregor is very talented, but he looked clueless walking around a blue screen and them telling him that it would be animated later on, which looked so cartoonish.

I don't think all movies should be made the same way, but when it comes to the blue screen, I like to try and imagine John Wayne standing out by some mountains with a horse and looking over some plains, or Clint Eastwood riding horseback over some smoking Cival war battlefield. If Western movies from the 1930's-1970's taught us anything, it was the sense of realism.

I never thought Lucas was the reason Star Wars so successful storywise. Surely, he's a great business man but the prequels just proved he can't write, and without Gary Kurtz, and those other writers, I don't think the best of the trilogy (Empire Strikes Back) would have been as good. I also don't think he wrote a lot of the first movie.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,257 / 49 / -15
    We have a lot in common since I can also relate to this and agree 110%.

Did you see Avatar? I did but waited until it came on cable.
    Just watching the ads and clips during the theatre run, all I saw was a cartoon. And then watching it, the whole damn thing still looks like a cartoon except for the live actors of course.
    Ben Affleck dressed up like a Navi' with the blue make up on and everything when he presented an award at the Oscars the year Avatar came out. Even though he was just goofing around, he looked real when the Navi on the screen didn't at all. Not once. CGI looks fake because it is fake and there is just no way to get around that.

As for the comment Luca$h made about 3d and color being better than B & W..
    That just seems more like a justification that he is making to desperately convince himself that he is doing the right thing.
    SW was somewhat inspired by the Flash Gordon serials and those movies were in B & W so I don't know how Luca$h can disrespect B & W movies like that.
  11. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +377 / 29 / -5
    Packer Fan Since:
    When George Lucas dies are they going to bury him in a Darth Vader suit? That would be cool. Then to have a tape of Vader breathing. Wicked cool
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,257 / 49 / -15
    :roflmao:

And if there is a voice added it should be this: