"Celebrating" a Player Being Released

H

HardRightEdge

I finally had a chance to watch the game replay.

Besides the Ross fumble, there was the 3rd. quarter kickoff "return" where he nearly touched down the kick at the 1 yard line. He was very fortunate his indecision resulted in the penalty.

On the KO fumble, he misjudged the flight of the ball the way an outfielder might misjudge a fly. That's another nail in the coffin.

One can reasonably conclude Rodgers' ire on the 4th. down red zone failure had to do with the play being a called rollout with Ross being the only receiver in the play. Think about that for a minute...a guy with questionable hands who runs questionable routes and who makes poor decisions being the only option on a critical play. It was a terrible call and Rodgers was rightly distressed.

Stephen Schneider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any arrogance in Rogers. His interviews always give creds to all around him. He sincerely said he had a bad day and would improve. I was a bit put off by him and MM jawing, but that happens and both know they're both competitors with strong spirits. Both said they'd moved on.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I never heard of this.
What I did read, here on the forum at another time, was that a coach's dog was killed when they wouldn't let Burt Fail back and gave the starting position to Air-Run. (I don't know if that incident was true or part of this rumor.)
So I looked up your claim.
What it all was, was just a rumor actually started by Dan himself.
His dog was not killed by a fan but by a farmer, "accidentally," who just wanted to scare the dog away when it was chasing his ducks.
It doesn't make it any better because Dumb Dan would let his dogs run around.
And the stupid farmer was wrong for shooting at the dog.
Anyone who really cares about animals wouldn't be shooting at them in the first place.
And if that dog was on a leash or otherwise contained he might not have chased that farmer's ducks which are part of his livelihood.
BTW, I care about animals but I eat some of them. I don't see how the two positions are crossed.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
AS for celebrating players' release: It's a form of entertainment. Nobody feels bad if the Packers crush the Redskins but those fans have to be feeling horrible.
I think we are all entitled as fans to have villains and heros in the sport. Ross became the villain by his play. Nobody really knows the guy much less knows Rodgers as a person. Every NFL player knows this and is likely aware of their role. You don't think Suh knows he's a villain in most NFL cities?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to watch the game replay.

Besides the Ross fumble, there was the 3rd. quarter kickoff "return" where he nearly touched down the kick at the 1 yard line. He was very fortunate his indecision resulted in the penalty.

On the KO fumble, he misjudged the flight of the ball the way an outfielder might misjudge a fly. That's another nail in the coffin.

One can reasonably conclude Rodgers' ire on the 4th. down red zone failure had to do with the play being a called rollout with Ross being the only receiver in the play. Think about that for a minute...a guy with questionable hands who runs questionable routes and who makes poor decisions being the only option on a critical play. It was a terrible call and Rodgers was rightly distressed.

Wait, how are we going to criticize the 3rd quarter kickoff return by Ross? He did the exact right thing there. He stepped out of bounds prior to touching the ball, so a penalty was correctly called. It was a smart play and when Cobb did the same exact thing last year, there were articles on how smart of a heads-up play it was. It's not fair for Ross to do the same thing and us to call him fortunate and indecisive. He was hesitant because he didn't know if the ball was going to go out of bounds or not and so he again made the right call to step out and touch the ball which effectively brings it out of bounds.

With that said, I agree with the general sentiments on Ross. I'm not celebrating his release, I'm celebrating the Packers taking a positive step towards improving on special teams and their team in general.

Football decisions are and should be all business, all the time. While I certainly don't "celebrate" anyone losing their job, it is part of the territory, and no matter how good of a guy anyone is, the organization has a job to do, and all fans and players should understand that. Everyone around you is also trying to improve and there just isn't room for sentiments.

Johnny Jolly, for instance, did not make the 53 man roster because he would have made a great feel-good story. He made the roster because he went out in training camp and earned it. Ross has been given the same opportunity and has not earned it.

H

HardRightEdge

Wait, how are we going to criticize the 3rd quarter kickoff return by Ross? He did the exact right thing there. He stepped out of bounds prior to touching the ball, so a penalty was correctly called.

How do you figure that? A kick returner should NEVER have a foot out of bounds. If the ball touches out of bounds there is no need to down it. If he touches the ball in bounds with a foot out it's a dead ball at that spot. Ross was lucky that (1) it bounced out of bounds and (2) that he touched it out of bounds and not in.

The indecision was obvious...should I let it go?...should I pick it up? His hands should been nowhere near the ball if it was the former. He should have grabbed it and gone if it was the latter.

Ross is not a good football player.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you figure that? Had he stepped out of bounds and touched the ball in bounds it would have been down at the one yard line. The indecision was obvious...should I let it go?...should I pick it up? His hands should been nowhere near the ball if it was the former. He should have grabbed it and gone if it was the latter.

Ross was lucky that (1) it bounced out of bounds and (2) that he touched it out of bounds and not in.

To repeat, he was lucky, not smart. We were fortunate the bounce went our way.

Then you do not understand the rule. The whole point of what Ross did stepping out of bounds was to bring the ball out of bounds. If is he would have touched the ball in bounds a flag would have been thrown as long as Ross had a foot out of bounds.

The ball does not need to bounce out of bounds if it touches a player who is partially out of bounds. If you can get a toe out of bounds and stretch in bounds on a kickoff and touch a ball that is physically 5 feet from the sideline, it is a penalty for kicking out of bounds.

Ross' decision to step out was purposeful, not indecisive. You are mistaken in saying that if Ross would have been stepping out and touched the ball in bounds that it would be down at the 1. It would still have been a penalty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Everybody dance!

Amen! Now that I will no longer feel the urge to have to dial the Suicide Hotline number before kickoffs

And as we continue to "Cell~~~aaah~~~brate".....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"DO IT NOW" :cool:

H

HardRightEdge

Then you do not understand the rule. The whole point of what Ross did stepping out of bounds was to bring the ball out of bounds. If is he would have touched the ball in bounds a flag would have been thrown as long as Ross had a foot out of bounds.

The ball does not need to bounce out of bounds if it touches a player who is partially out of bounds. If you can get a toe out of bounds and stretch in bounds on a kickoff and touch a ball that is physically 5 feet from the sideline, it is a penalty for kicking out of bounds.

Ross' decision to step out was purposeful, not indecisive. You are mistaken in saying that if Ross would have been stepping out and touched the ball in bounds that it would be down at the 1. It would still have been a penalty.

You're right about the rule. I stand corrected. Cobb did the same thing last season. It is a bizarre rule.

The fact remains, Ross is not a good football player...with one fewer instances of indecision.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about the rule. I stand corrected. Cobb did the same thing last season. It is a bizarre rule.

The fact remains, Ross is not a good football player...with one fewer instances of indecision.

I simply wanted to point out that there wasn't anything wrong with what Ross did stepping out of bounds on the kickoff. I agree that Ross is a poor player (as a receiver and on ST both). I am glad to see him replaced.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts