cedric benson...i wonder what his price is, can he be a packer?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cedric Benson already has acknowledged on Radio Interviews (like SIRIUS NFL) that he will be in a shared backfield. Benson has siginificantly matured since he's come into the league as the former 4th overall pick in 2005. He will be 30 by the end of the year & is coming off a pretty decent year. I would really like to think that TT has at least inquired about Benson. How much could he possibly be, it can't be much with him knowing his situation. He would extend his career in a timeshare situation. I can't help dreaming and praying that we could have a respectable RB on the team that can get more rushing TD's then our QB. As much as our defense was an issue, we were still pretty one-dimensional on offense and if we were on the GOALLINE, it's all RODGERS. It makes me nervous when I see him QB sneaking or scrambling.

I don't know, maybe Starks stays healthy all season, maybe Alex Green fully recovers and is a beast (yea right), maybe Brandon Saine is the ultimate pass/screen/3rd down catching RB (for the packers exclusively)...i'm just not comfortable and w/ these guys

maybe there's a reason he's still a free-agent...who knows

I think it's an improvement to add Benson, I doubt he's asking that much, & it makes us better...please TT, do something w/ that position...please?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Starks averaged 4.3 yards a carry for us last year in his first season with a lot of carries and he only fumbled twice. I think Starks is a good quality back that we need to stick with and give the majority of carries to this season.

D

Dan115

Cedric Benson already has acknowledged on Radio Interviews (like SIRIUS NFL) that he will be in a shared backfield. Benson has siginificantly matured since he's come into the league as the former 4th overall pick in 2005. He will be 30 by the end of the year & is coming off a pretty decent year. I would really like to think that TT has at least inquired about Benson. How much could he possibly be, it can't be much with him knowing his situation. He would extend his career in a timeshare situation. I can't help dreaming and praying that we could have a respectable RB on the team that can get more rushing TD's then our QB. As much as our defense was an issue, we were still pretty one-dimensional on offense and if we were on the GOALLINE, it's all RODGERS. It makes me nervous when I see him QB sneaking or scrambling.

I don't know, maybe Starks stays healthy all season, maybe Alex Green fully recovers and is a beast (yea right), maybe Brandon Saine is the ultimate pass/screen/3rd down catching RB (for the packers exclusively)...i'm just not comfortable and w/ these guys

maybe there's a reason he's still a free-agent...who knows

YES, this was discussed today on WSSP.

I think it's an improvement to add Benson, I doubt he's asking that much, & it makes us better...please TT, do something w/ that position...please?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had cedric benson on my fantasy team this year and he helped me en route to winning my league but I am not sure how productive he would be in a split backfield with starks. I understand having 2 backs is the new hotness but when I was keeping up with cedric during this past season he always had like 10 carries for 25 yards in the first half then would get a 30-40 yard run at some point in the second half. He seems to be a back that benefits from being the guy and taking the whole load himself. Getting a feel for the game and then getting better as the game goes on. I think his price tag, even taking a paycut, would be a little too high and we already have 3 backs including one (starks) who can carry the load, barring injury. We also throw it a lot, but I am fan of balance also.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I wouldn't be totally against it. None of our running backs can really be relied on to carry the load at any point. I haven't seen much of Green so I really can't speak on his ability and really nobody can. But Starks is a very average back that is really only there to provide a change up in offense, rather than to establish any type of run game that teams will respect.

Benson would be a welcome addition IMO, if he comes at a reasonable price. I also suggested a while back that we inquire about Thomas Jones who is a very productive, tough and reliable back that rushes for 1,000 yard a season pretty much anywhere he goes and he'd be cheap to sign.

I was really disappointed that we didn't draft Robert Turbin. I really liked his measurables and how rounded and powerful a back he was. I think he would have been a perfect addition to our RB rotation.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Alex Green being healthy and getting some reps. He was a third round pick last year. I'd like an insurance policy in the form of a veteran, but Alex Green is my guy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In addition to Starks, Green and Saine the Packers signed Marc Tyler and Duane Bennett as UDFAs and there’s still a possibility Grant returns for near the vet minimum after not finding a new home. Of the group I too think Green may be the biggest surprise but of course he’s got to stay healthy. In any event I’d be very surprised to see Thompson sign a 30-year old RB. And right now if I could pick one UFA for the Packers he wouldn’t play RB, he’d play safety. If Jim Leonard were healthy I’d love to see him added even though he’s 29. But apparently he won’t be ready for the opener and if he were healthy, he probably wouldn’t be available. Sorry its off topic but that’s the biggest hole I see in the team right now.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas Jones had a few solid years in his 30s, yes most of the time, 30 too old, but Age is a #, and Benson comes with lower mileage then most backs his age

sent from my rooted evo4g

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather keep Grant then pick up Benson. Grant is a bit younger, fewer carries, knows the offense, and fumbles far less than Benson. In 2010' Benson had 7 fumbles. Last year he had 5. Grant has had 8 fumbles in his whole career.

Nothing makes me scream louder than a back that puts the ball on the ground...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the position im least concerned with. Grant is an option if he isn't picked up by training camp. Otherwise I have no interest in picking up a vet.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Ced pissed away a portion of his prime, he is fairly fresh for his age. I'm not so sure at this point of his career he's much better than what we already have, though. But the more competition, the merrier in all cases.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benson is too old. Looking to see Green take over more this year. I have a pipe dream of just holding off for next year and draft Montee Ball :)

jamie97520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to keep reminding myself that whenever i saw Starks carry the ball last year i was very impressed and was constantly muttering to my friends 'I really like Starks, he should be staring'.

It is tempting to get greedy and look for more firepower but we do have the best QB in the league and for a team that will very rarely run the ball >20 times in a game i think Starks and Green can fill that roll nicely.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to keep reminding myself that whenever i saw Starks carry the ball last year i was very impressed and was constantly muttering to my friends 'I really like Starks, he should be staring'.

It is tempting to get greedy and look for more firepower but we do have the best QB in the league and for a team that will very rarely run the ball >20 times in a game i think Starks and Green can fill that roll nicely.

I agree w/ you if that's the direction the packers go as the season progresses...but, if you hear MM talk all the time about play calling based on the situation, he would rather be more balanced and has been quoted saying that the running game must get better ....so I was a bit surprised they never went after an RB in the draft, but what do i know?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts