Carroll Gone

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why was Carroll cut? Money says it was the fact that he jawed a ref on what he thought was an incomplete pass rather than touching the down man, who picked up a few extra yards as a result. Kinda like last year, as referenced in the article, when he taunted the Atlanta bench instead of blocking for the teammate with the intercepted ball.

Bottom line is the kid was a physically talented headcase who never learned.

I struggle to believe we are even debating this move!

Thanks TT and MM....another turd off the roster. I suppose some of you lament the loss of C. Hunt as well?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Carrol

PackFanInSC said:
tano1998 said:
Guys, it has to be another thing with his dismissal, I watched the game yesterday and all games he played. He's a turd and a mediocre player, but you dont kick a 1st rounder just like that...Any comments?

I think it was to send a message -- in particular to Harris and Woodson -- that they either get their heads on straight or pack their bags. Carroll gave the Packers a perfect opportunity with his play Monday to make an example of someone who was high profile (1st Round and past starter) without adversely affecting the team. And maybe, they have someone coming in off either our practice squad or someone else's -- players who have shown some potential in TC but were left out in a numbers game. Or Blackmon is ready to come in.

The message should not be for Harris and Woodson, but Manuel. The worst 2 players on defense have been Manuel and Poppinga. Of course there's still a major difference between Carroll and Woodson, Manuel and Poppinga. Carroll was a Sherman pick. The only statement that TT is making with this move is that no Sherman pick is safe with him. Now when we finally see a move due to poor play by one of TT's picks, then he will be making a statement.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BairesPackFan said:
tano1998 said:
Guys, it has to be another thing with his dismissal, I watched the game yesterday and all games he played. He's a turd and a mediocre player, but you dont kick a 1st rounder just like that...Any comments?

Agree. Should be traded for any pick....Anything > 0

I agree Baires. How can a player go from a "1st round draft choice" to not being worth anything at all? Granted most experts didn't have him going in the 1st round but they did have him going in the 2nd or 3rd.
With all his troubles he stock has fallen but some team will take a flyer on him. They should have been able to get a 7th or at least a ream of copier paper or something for him.
Many teams may not want to pick him up mid season so just have him feign an injury and stick him on the DL for the rest of the season. He gets his pay check all year and then GB can trade him in the off season.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackFanInSC said:
tano1998 said:

I think it was to send a message -- in particular to Harris and Woodson -- that they either get their heads on straight or pack their bags. Carroll gave the Packers a perfect opportunity with his play Monday to make an example of someone who was high profile (1st Round and past starter) without adversely affecting the team. And maybe, they have someone coming in off either our practice squad or someone else's -- players who have shown some potential in TC but were left out in a numbers game. Or Blackmon is ready to come in.

Really, so what is TT going to do?

Shitcan all of the DB's and replace them with who? This is the kind of thinking that drove Javon Walker right out of town, imo.

As I stated earlier, the problem with Carroll is that he didn't have a wily veteran on the team teaching him the ropes on how to play his position, like Leroy Butler used to do when he was here.

The guy had Bob Slowik and Shottenheimer coaching him, so he didn't have a chance. And if there was a problem with the DB coach, Sanders should have gotten in his face much earlier than this.

I seem to believe that this wouldn't have happened if Bates was still here.

But it did. I bet Ahmad Carroll ends with a team and maybe gets the coaching that he needs, and quite possibly becomes a solid pro. He has the talent, it has to be developed.

You can't throw a raw rookie into the NFL without any teaching and expect him to be an all-pro in 2 years. It just ain't gonna happen.

Someone will sign him though, and break him in the right way.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris isn't a "wily veteran"? The kid kept making the same mistakes over and over. His knock coming out is that he did not take coaching well,, are we really suprised that he did not progress one iota in 2.25 seasons? Kinda living down to his hype coming out, if you ask me.

Bottom line is we are not chasing playoffs this year, may as well cut turds (even talented ones) and find guys who can play. Yes, there is some risk involved...but any more risk than putting #28 back on the field week in week out to hurt tis team?

Go Bush/Dendy!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A different Coach or Defensive scheme every year added to the fact that he was thrown to the wolves when he was a rookie and got a bad rep from The Zebras didin't help Carroll at all, that said it is better he is gone, now we can see if he was the major problem on our porous defense.

TT lovers you don't have AC to kick around anymore, who is your favorite whipping boy now????

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
Didn't Hawk strip the ball on Buckhalter's fumble inside the 5?

I thought that was Woodson, actually. Looked like #21 to me.

I've been one of Carroll's biggest cheerleaders, here and on several other boards as well. I think he has more than enough talent to be a great CB. But I've been shaking my head at him more often than not this season. I thought he played great and "turned the corner" over the last 8 or 9 games of 2005, but this year he's looked more like the 2004 model. There's nothing sadder than wasted potential.

Regardless of my rooting, I think this was a good move for the Packers. Not from a talent standpoint, because I still think Carroll had as much talent as anybody in our secondary. But from a team standpoint, I applaud MM and TT for sending this message: "Perform or take a walk. Nobody's safe." I just hope they keep sending the same message. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manuel and/or Schottenheimer released by midseason if things don't improve.

I'd much rather see Schottenheimer in the unemployment line, myself.

As for Carroll, he'll be signed by another team. Probably this week. And I'm thinking he'll probably go on to have a good career - for two reasons: 1) if this doesn't open his eyes (and brain) nothing will, and 2) wherever he goes, he'll have better coaching than he had here.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Al Harris isn't a "wily veteran"? The kid kept making the same mistakes over and over. His knock coming out is that he did not take coaching well,, are we really suprised that he did not progress one iota in 2.25 seasons? Kinda living down to his hype coming out, if you ask me.

Bottom line is we are not chasing playoffs this year, may as well cut turds (even talented ones) and find guys who can play. Yes, there is some risk involved...but any more risk than putting #28 back on the field week in week out to hurt tis team?

Go Bush/Dendy!!

WTF is wrong with seeing what you could get for him in a trade? TT needed instant relief from the fans and media.

dmelby

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone have an accurate, unbiased run-down of Carroll's miscues on Monday night?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Carroll cleared waivers without getting picked up by some one. That's some what suprising in my opinion. I thought based on his speed he'd get picked up off the waivers some where.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah boy, look at that crazy demand for a speedy headcase...

if he cleared waivers, without someone picking him up...hmmm
might have been tough to get a draft pick for someone that other GMs/ have to think about before picking up for way cheap on waivers. he will get picked up in a couple days, but clearly he isnt a hot topic.

would you rather trade one of your draft picks away and keep a mediocre players high contract.

or wait till the packers inevitably cut his ***, and pick him up for near dirt. The worst player on the worst secondary has no trade value. if you would stop hating TT for five seconds you might see that this overall is a GOOD THING!! and were not missing out on anything

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the fact he cleared waivers makes it hard for me to believe that Green Bay could of even gotten anything for him in a trade. I thought for sure someone would pick him up. Houston, Minnesota or New England but nobody did so they didn't want him with his deal for free so why would they give something up for him?

Blackmon also probably isn't going to play Sunday and that explains why Denedy was promoted. Looks like Jarrett Bush will be the nickel back from what was said on the radio.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

wpr said:
How can a player go from a "1st round draft choice" to not being worth anything at all?

Answer: By playing really, really bad football for three years. It is not uncommon for this to happen to a first round draft pick. You can never be completely sure what you're getting in the draft.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
wpr said:
How can a player go from a "1st round draft choice" to not being worth anything at all?

Answer: By playing really, really bad football for three years. It is not uncommon for this to happen to a first round draft pick. You can never be completely sure what you're getting in the draft.

To be fair as far as I've heard the only other team that even thought about going for Carroll in the 1st 2 rounds was the Carolina Panthers. So Carroll to be fair probably would of went late 2nd - early 3rd and might’ve done much better because of lower expectations.

Now this is just speculation on my part and from what I read on the guy when he was drafted.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st round to bust? Silly question when you have Tony Mandarich and Jamal Reynolds as examples.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
1st round to bust? Silly question when you have Tony Mandarich and Jamal Reynolds as examples.

At least they were projected to be 1st round picks. Mandarich and Reynolds were busts. Carroll was just a stupid pick.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see one difference from those busts compared to Carroll. I think it's still hard to deny Carroll had talent he just couldn't seem to put it to game use and attitude became an issie that probably held him back.

Members online

Latest posts