Carroll decides if we win or not

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking back to the first game with the vikes this year. Packers did great in the first half. Then something happened....

The vikings offense picked on carroll, and picked on him, and picked on him some more. That is how they came back.

I honestly forgot all about that until just now. I hope all you carroll lovers are right and he has matured...cuz if they stick to that gameplan...we lose.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't have to complete a pass. They can frustrate him into penalties. Carroll is an undiciplined guy. He has little control emotions or his hands.

He isn't the only key but an important one. With Hawkins inactive due to injury the nickel and dime will packages will suffer. Carroll will be hard to pull out of game in favor of Horton.

If Gado is running well the Viking offense is getting cold on the sideline and their chances reduced.

Carroll only had one dumb pass interference penalty in Atlanta. If he only gets one it can be overcome.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings didn't just pick on Carroll, they exploited Marviel Underwood, who replaced Nick Collins after he got hurt. I agree with your main point, though. I said before the season that the second CB spot would be key for the Packers this season, regardless of who plays it, and that's as true as it ever was. The good news is that the defense is relatively healthy and is coming off their best performance of the season. Like him or not (I have a hunch that you don't like him), Carroll has also improved.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The Vikings didn't just pick on Carroll, they exploited Marviel Underwood, who replaced Nick Collins after he got hurt..

True, but I think it went even beyond that. It seemed like Bates got conservative in the 2nd half of that game after Collins went out. It might have been that he didn't trust Underwood knowing his assignments well enough to run some of the blitz packages he was running in the 1st half.

I think Bates kept it more simple in the 2nd half to try and make it easier on Underwood. I think if Collins would have still been in there, Bates would have been more aggressive in the 2nd half. Hard to say for sure if the outcome would have been different, but I think the defensive style of play would have been more aggressive.