Cap to rise to $130 million

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Adam Schefter the cap will rise to $130 million for next season, so the Packers will have approximately $32 million of cap space available.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Adam Schefter the cap will rise to $130 million for next season, so the Packers will have approximately $32 million of cap space available.

While this news is great for a team like the Packers that need to be players in free agency, it really means nothing if TT isn't willing to break the mold. For someone like me who is praying he dabbles in free agency, this is music to my ears

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

While this news is great for a team like the Packers that need to be players in free agency, it really means nothing if TT isn't willing to break the mold. For someone like me who is praying he dabbles in free agency, this is music to my ears

Don´t expect TT to go out and sign high priced free agents. This means that the team has more cap space available to work out contracts with Shields, Nelson and/or Cobb and some other of our own free agents as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Downside is that free agent price tags just went up

The only guy the Packers should even think about putting the franchise tag on is Shields. If they do that I expect them to work out a long term deal before the season starts, so the actual amount of the tag doesn´t mean a lot.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don´t expect TT to go out and sign high priced free agents. This means that the team has more cap space available to work out contracts with Shields, Nelson and/or Cobb and some other of our own free agents as well.

Believe me I'm not one of the guys saying to go out and sign Jairus Byrd, Jimmy Graham, and Deion Sanders in his prime. I'm much more realistic then that. As I said, I am praying he dabbles in free agency and goes and gets a safety and maybe a DLineman and then take care of our own free agents.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only guy the Packers should even think about putting the franchise tag on is Shields. If they do that I expect them to work out a long term deal before the season starts, so the actual amount of the tag doesn´t mean a lot.

I actually said free agent price tags, not franchise. Salary cap doesn't affect the franchise tag anyway.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW Ian Rapoport is reporting that extending Jordy is one of the main priorities this offseason, not that that should surprise anyone.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW Ian Rapoport is reporting that extending Jordy is one of the main priorities this offseason, not that that should surprise anyone.

Yea Jordy is a lock...Cobb has to be a close second especially if we lose Jones.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually said free agent price tags, not franchise. Salary cap doesn't affect the franchise tag anyway.

In a roundabout way, the cap could hike up a tag. For example, a team gets more cap room so it pays a player more than it would have. That player then makes enough to increase the tag if he's making enough.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good news regardless of free agency. The NFL was saying the cap should rise steadily under the new CBA, but until now we hadn't really seen it.

At the very least this means we'll have a little more cap to roll into the future with as Rodgers & Matthews contracts start taking up more cap.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

While I misread your post you're wrong about the salary cap not affecting the franchise tag.

In the current CBA the franchise tag is calculated by taking the average franchise tender for the last five years, determining the percentage of the tender under the overall salary cap over that five-year period, and the average percentage then determines the franchise tender for the current year, based on the new salary cap number.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Oh, TT will "dabble" around in free agency, you can bet on that..... but you can also bet it will be 5 guys you have never heard of and they will flunk out of training camp or be cut after pre-season ends.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, TT will "dabble" around in free agency, you can bet on that..... but you can also bet it will be 5 guys you have never heard of and they will flunk out of training camp or be cut after pre-season ends.

I don't doubt this but I think/hope his dabbling nets us at least a starting safety. Quite honestly the rest I could care less about. It doesn't have to be Byrd but it needs to be someone of name recognition. And then another solid draft and we should be fine.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't doubt this but I think/hope his dabbling nets us at least a starting safety. Quite honestly the rest I could care less about. It doesn't have to be Byrd but it needs to be someone of name recognition. And then another solid draft and we should be fine.

A veteran ILB and one or two DLs (depending on leaves in free agency there) would be great as well.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A veteran ILB and one or two DLs (depending on leaves in free agency there) would be great as well.

I guess my dream offseason would be: Extend Jordy, Randall. Restructure/Extend Tramon. Resign Sam, EDS, Neal, Kuhn, Quarless, Flynn. Sign a FA Safety Clemons or Whitner. Move up and get Mosely in the draft and then just be solid the rest of the draft.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I guess my dream offseason would be: Extend Jordy, Randall. Restructure/Extend Tramon. Resign Sam, EDS, Neal, Kuhn, Quarless, Flynn. Sign a FA Safety Clemons or Whitner. Move up and get Mosely in the draft and then just be solid the rest of the draft.

I wouldn´t mind bringing Jolly and Pickett back for reasonable deals as well. I´m really starting to wonder though is re-signing Cobb is one of the top priorites for the Packers going forward.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn´t mind bringing Jolly and Pickett back for reasonable deals as well. I´m really starting to wonder though is re-signing Cobb is one of the top priorites for the Packers going forward.

I would be shocked if this was the case. Maybe not this offseason but I just can't see Ted letting him walk

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked if this was the case. Maybe not this offseason but I just can't see Ted letting him walk

If it came down to signing Cobb or a guy that would have a similar impact on our defense, I'd let Cobb walk and get the defender on the team....however, it seems like the only way that money would be spent on defense is through free agency and, historically speaking, that's most likely not going to happen.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I got a vote... Jordy and Cobb are must keep players.
Jones was affordable, but his big year a couple years back... He is going to get more somewhere else IMO. UNLESS Rodgers steps in and asks for him again.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Seems like the cap will actually rise to $133 million this season, expected to break $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like the cap will actually rise to $133 million this season, expected to break $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016.

So what you're saying the Packers should have no problem getting Jordy Sam Randall locked up and still be in pretty good financial shape

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So what you're saying the Packers should have no problem getting Jordy Sam Randall locked up and still be in pretty good financial shape

It seems like that should be possible. Actually the Packers have to sign some players to bigger contracts over the next few years as they have to actually spent 89% of the cap number in cash from 2013-2016.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new cap is $133M, $9+M more than last year. I just saw a report that it's supposed to rise another $10+M next year. With the rising cap, that just means the Packers have more and more money available. It should make re-signing our core players easier and, potentially, means TT has some money to play with for signing free agents.

The one downside to this is that I would imagine the signings also rise with the cap. So a $7M deal might now be an $8M deal. I would imagine agents are using this extra cap space to their advantage like this.

It'll be interesting to see if this plays a factor during free agency.

Members online

Latest posts