Cap Experts

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the net gain/savings GB realized by cutting Chatman and Diggs, and how much of their contracts will be dead money on this year's cap?? Likewise, someone please educate me on the process using Ferguson as an example. If I'm looking at it correctly, GB would save 700K by cutting Fergy now, but have approx. 2M go against this year's cap?? If they wait until after June 1, he'll count approx 2.8? against this year's cap??

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB saved about 2.9 mil for digs saved 730,000 for not picking up Chatmans option. Not sure if Chatmans really counts onto the real cap because dont know if it was equated in.

I believe that Fergie is trade bait. some team out there will want him. Probaly the Texans

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fergy is cut before June, the Packers take a cap hit of 2.1 million because of the part of his signing bonus that hasn't been prorated yet (Thank you Mike Sherman.) Therefore, I don't see him being cut until they have a better idea of the status of Murphy and Rod Gardner, who is a free agent. If the Packers keep Fergy, he counts 2.8 million against the cap.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind keeping fergy, if he man'd up. He was obviously a shell of himself after that illegal hit (that messed up his vision). returning from that can be hard. Ill take him as our 4th WR if he gets over that..

but if not...

please trade him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what i have been saying all along........that sucker has RUINED Fergy with that cheap shot. He hasn't been the same since. HOPEFULLY he can put it behind him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i wouldnt mind keeping fergy, if he man'd up. He was obviously a shell of himself after that illegal hit (that messed up his vision). returning from that can be hard. Ill take him as our 4th WR if he gets over that..

but if not...

please trade him.

He had more than enuff chances to "man up" last year IMO...Time to trade him...

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Route 25, thanks for the info; that's what I was thinking on Fergy. In reality, GB doesn't "save" enough money to cut Fergy. It doesn't make economic sense to do it. The 700K they "save" doesn't even purchase a street FA. If he were a malcontent or a lazy, trouble making bum like Hunt, then yes it would make some sense, but that's not the case.

I'm not sure the #s are right on Hunt either. I believe he would have cost the team 2.9M, but I doubt they got rid of all his contract by cutting him. Things just don't work that way in today's NFL.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must admit my ignorance....I thought the "cap" prevented a team from spending over a certain limit. But now this "cost over cap" thing has me boiling. In reality, a team (Redskins, e.g.) are spending WAY over the cap but only a certain amount is counted againest the cap. Sounds like Capone type bookkeeping. How they can keep it up for years is beyond me. But this year, it's reported that they are $20mil+ over the cap and must cut players. Seems as though they had that problem last year too, if my memory serves. Apparently their financial attorneys are smarter than Tagliboob's attorneys. To me, the only way to keep it honest it to allow no team "cash over cap."

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect to see Ferguson traded on draft day to Philly for some middle round picks. Maybe sooner------------(?)

Members online

Latest posts