Canty signed with Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

b_mckendry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
Giants give DE Canty six-year, $42 million deal
Posted: March 1st, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Chris Canty, Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants

The New York Giants continue making bold moves to shore up their defense.

One day after signing DT Rocky Bernard and LB Michael Boley, the Giants signed free-agent DE Chris Canty to a six-year, $42 million contract that includes $17.25 million in guaranteed money. Now Dallas’ loss is New York’s gain.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty, and the Green Bay Packers were trying to arrange for him to visit the team. But Sunday afternoon, Canty took the Giants’ offer.

The Giants have gotten defensive. Again.

OP
OP
B

b_mckendry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It burns me up on how tight the Packers front office is and that they can't throw out any numbers to give Canty an idea on what they will pay him. I am starting to compare the Packers to that kid who never has a seat at the lunch table in school becuase he or she is so laid back and just let's everyone walk all over him. I agree with TT's philosophy on not wasting money on over paid free agents that might not make a big impact but Canty was defiently worth it. Blank, Canty's agent didn't even really hear from the Packers until late this afternoon. The Packers should have been on this early this morning.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could still trade for Peppers.
Just a joke to loosen up a bit.
It was a lot of money, but we needed it... Yeah, Olshansky would be good...

OP
OP
B

b_mckendry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will bring in some no name for a visit or they will draft someone try starting him, he will get hurt and then just be another Justin Harrell.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm?

Packers fans or?

Not signing Canty is nothing to get your ******* in a bunch about.

Deep breaths. It's going to be ok. He's from New York he wanted to play there.

He has had about 7 sacks in the last 3 years. He isn't the second coming of Reggie White. He is a average player who the Giants signed for about 9 mill a year. He isn't worth that.

We have moved on?

Ok good.

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we would have paid him. He is a 3-4 end, they don't get sacks. He would have helped this team a lot. Who is going to play at the other DE spot now? Some rookie, Jolly, Monty... sigh.... Right now our DL looks bad- mediocre and our OL looks horrible. There isn't any other player out there that can help us significantly either (don't give me any Igor Olshansky crap either, he would help us out about as much as Brandon Chillar did last year)

You might say that you don't get a paper championship for signing players in the offseason, but you sure as hell don't get a fiscally responsible championship trophy either

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
hmmm?

Packers fans or?

Not signing Canty is nothing to get your ******* in a bunch about.

Deep breaths. It's going to be ok. He's from New York he wanted to play there.

He has had about 7 sacks in the last 3 years. He isn't the second coming of Reggie White. He is a average player who the Giants signed for about 9 mill a year. He isn't worth that.

We have moved on?

Ok good.
Linebackers get sacks in a 3-4. D-Linemen are there to stop the rush, something Canty was pretty great at.

Stupid Giants. First they beat us in the NFC Championship, now they take our free agents! :p

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pacman,

You obviously think you know what you are talking about but your words tell a different story.

Capers runs a hybrid 3-4 and you will see many elements of a standard 4-3 used in this defense.

To say that "defensive ends don't get sacks" proves to me you are ignorant on Capers defense and going off what you think you know versus what is the truth. That can get you into trouble in life.

Yes the LB's get to the QB a little more in Capers defense but the DE's also need to have good pass rushing skills as well and can "get sacks" if they are good players.

Both DE's for the Packers next season can indeed get sacks and should be able to produce more than 2 a year like Canty's numbers indicate he has a pattern of doing.

DE's in a 4-3 or a 3-4 have to be good against the run as well as be able to rush the passer.

He was not worth the money he was paid. End of story.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
pacman,

You obviously think you know what you are talking about but your words tell a different story.

Capers runs a hybrid 3-4 and you will see many elements of a standard 4-3 used in this defense.

To say that "defensive ends don't get sacks" proves to me you are ignorant on Capers defense and going off what you think you know versus what is the truth. That can get you into trouble in life.

Yes the LB's get to the QB a little more in Capers defense but the DE's also need to have good pass rushing skills as well and can "get sacks" if they are good players.

Both DE's for the Packers next season can indeed get sacks and should be able to produce more than 2 a year like Canty's numbers indicate he has a pattern of doing.

DE's in a 4-3 or a 3-4 have to be good against the run as well as be able to rush the passer.

He was not worth the money he was paid. End of story.

Capers is going to run a very similar system to the Cowboys. While the linemen get into the backfield a bit more than other systems, that doesn't mean that your 5 technique guy (Canty) is a big sack producer. A better way to look at it is that your pass rushing 7 technique guy (at this point, Kampman, or Ware down in Dallas) acts more like a 4-3 end than a 3-4 OLB. They may rush from a standup position, but they have a lot less coverage responsibilities. They basically are put in charge of getting to the passer on every play. Your 3 down guys collapse the pocket and get penetration, but their job is still to keep everything in front of them and allow the linebackers to make a lot of plays.

Canty wouldn't have made us a top 3 defense... but it would've been a huge step in giving us a legitimate line in year one. Igor out of San Diego is a suitable replacement, but all the word I hear is that Dallas is going after him hard to replace Canty. So that means we'll have to outbid the Cowboys.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GJ85 said:
I'm glad we didn't overpay for him. Just sit back and things unfold.

TT has been employing your philosophy for 4 years now & it's produced 31 out of 64 possible wins.

What you fail to envision is any FA willing to look at signing in GB now knows they are desperate. They're going to overpay for lesser talent regardless. They also know all too well that GB will not shell out top $$$ while other teams will. That means GB gets everyone's not-great-but-average FA prospects. How far does that get your team, season after season?

You TT supporters have been preaching this "just wait & see" mantra for far too long. When is enough going to be enough for you? This is embarrassing.

Last season Grant's agent made a mockery of TT & now another agent has poured further insult onto this proud franchise. That's another sad state of affairs for further FA dealings.

"Green Bay did what the Packers always do. If it doesn't work out with the GIants, we're (the Packers) interested." Nice.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dougsellz,

You don't like Ted and think he is doing a poor job judging from your posts.

Who would you suggest they get that would do a better job?

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers doesn't run the same defense as the Cowboys. He also will make his defense work for the talent he has on hand. To say that the Cowboys run a VERY similar defense is ignorant.

Capers has in the past and will do so more in Green Bay; he will run a hybrid 3-4 that will use ends at times much like they are used in the 4-3.

Yes there are things about the current Cowboys defense and a Capers defense that could be compared. But to say a player will be successful with the Pack because he came from the Cowboys is ignorant.

Sorry

Reaction score
I would of loved to get canty but we never got a chance to meet with him and he took the deal asap so he must of really wanted to go with the giants so he probably wouldnt of came if we gave him an offer

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh, i think we could get an equal or better player for much less in the draft, so i am not too mad about it.

that is, if ted DRAFTS a damn defensive linemen...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
dougsellz,

You don't like Ted and think he is doing a poor job judging from your posts.

Who would you suggest they get that would do a better job?

Mike Reinfeldt comes to mind initially. Home-grown former Packer employee could possibly be persuaded to leave cushy job with the Titans.

Charley Casserly is highly repsected around the league & after 2 years removed from the grind at the team level he may be ready to make another run like he did for the 'Skins.

pack12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paying free agents is a crap shoot. the only free agent that measured up to what he was worth was Reggie White. why pay big money for a guy who could come in here, get hurt the first day of training camp and never see the field. we have guys like jennings we have to sign! Look at the redskins, how many big name free agents have they signed over the years ? how many super bowls have they won in the process? We need some middle to low tier guys who are hungry to prove they can be good!

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doughsellz,

If you ask Mike Reinfeldt who he learned a lot from...you would get the answer Ted Thompson.

Charlie Casserly was asked to leave the Texans(he resigned rather than get fired) is now paid to look into rumors. I'm not so sure he is "respected" around the league at this point.

Are you kidding me with these choices?

In your fantasy world if you fired Ted and talked of hiring either of these men to replace you would not only fail but be the laughing stock of the league for all time.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
Doughsellz,

If you ask Mike Reinfeldt who he learned a lot from...you would get the answer Ted Thompson.
Hard to say who Reinfeldt gleaned more from, Wolf or TT. He spent an equal amount of time with both. As a player Reinfeldt was far superior. Does that carry over into personnel? Debatable but I'd give the nod to TT, unless he doesn't pull this team out of mediocrity in '09.

You TT apologists go to extreme lengths to defend him. Why? What has he accomplished? 31-33? GB was better off in cap hell & winning the division every year. That was respectable at the very least. Wolf regularly had to restructure contracts to stay under the cap. It's embarrassing to be so far under the cap & losing too.

freefromwhatyouare said:
Charlie Casserly is paid to look into rumors. I'm not so sure he is "respected" around the league at this point.

Maybe dig a little further into Casserly's past before calling him out as simply rumor patrol. Like to guess how many Pro Bowl players he's drafted? (hint: it's more than TT)

freefromwhatyouare said:
Are you kidding me with these choices?

In your fantasy world if you fired Ted and talked of hiring either of these men to replace you would not only fail but be the laughing stock of the league for all time.

You could do much more positive things with that crystal ball of yours. These two I named could do no worse than TT.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
K doughboy I'll take the bait,

For one I truly do believe in, trust and respect the way Ted has brought this team out of the hole Mike Sherman dug for five years. Many things go into my respect for Ted. One being his track record.

He is in my opinion the top GM in the NFL.

I also don't agree with every move he makes but will stand behind him always as the current person who is running the Green Bay Packers...for this I will bleed.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
He is in my opinion the top GM in the NFL.
Top GM's build winning teams. As was pointed out earlier, he is 31-33 in his time in Green Bay. I don't know how you can call someone who built a sub-500 team and is constantly inactive in Free Agency the top GM. The Patriots, Steelers, Eagles, and Giants front offices all run circles around ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts