Canadian Football League

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Anthony Calvillo, at this point in his career, is that he's at the end of a long career, and had a surgery to remove something serious within the past year. It didn't stop him from being dominant in Canada, but really the CFL and the NFL are completely different beasts. NFL stars come up here and fail, and CFL stars get shots in the NFL and OCCASIONALLY make it (Cameron Wake in Miami, maybe Phillip Hunt - in time - in Philly).

As for the reason why CFL QBs don't really make it in the NFL... Well, there are VERY FEW (see: none) QBs starting in the CFL who played in the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sports). All, at this point, are brought in from the states and, for that to happen, are cast offs from the NFL.

Now, that's not to say that they're intrinsically WORSE than their NFL counterparts (although, a strong case could be made), but that their skill sets work best in the CFL.

fewer downs means more passing downs. Larger field, more defenders. Unlimited Pre-snap motion means crazier opportunities for plays on offence.

Players like Calvillo, Matt Dunnigan, Damon Allen, to name a few, were able to excel in the CFL because of their particular skills and the unique attributes of the CFL.

Great post, I really appreciate your insight on Anthony and CFL players. :tup:

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure what to make of this Ray trade. It looks very, very fishy to me. You do not trade a top 3 QB, under any circumstances. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if money was involved, the league wants the Argos to be competitive next year going into the 100th Grey Cup. Hard to take the league seriously when things like this happen, there is already one guy owning two teams..

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure what to make of this Ray trade. It looks very, very fishy to me. You do not trade a top 3 QB, under any circumstances. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if money was involved, the league wants the Argos to be competitive next year going into the 100th Grey Cup. Hard to take the league seriously when things like this happen, there is already one guy owning two teams..

I had to google this....:laugh:

I take it this is a big deal in the CFL.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like if NO traded Brees to the Gaints for whoever their backup QB is and a draft pick. Shameful on Tillman (GM of Edmonton) and the CFL as a whole if they played a part. Tillman is either a compete idiot, or the CFL is playing puppet master. Simple as that.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its like if NO traded Brees to the Gaints for whoever their backup QB is and a draft pick. Shameful on Tillman (GM of Edmonton) and the CFL as a whole if they played a part. Tillman is either a compete idiot, or the CFL is playing puppet master. Simple as that.

WOW! :eek:

OK, yeah that's huge thanks for the example.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like if NO traded Brees to the Gaints for whoever their backup QB is and a draft pick. Shameful on Tillman (GM of Edmonton) and the CFL as a whole if they played a part. Tillman is either a compete idiot, or the CFL is playing puppet master. Simple as that.

Well, this could STILL work out for both teams. Edmonton got a prime draft pick, a quarterback that has – at the very least - shown flashes of brilliance in the past, and will be playing with receivers like Stamps and Bowman with a solid running game.

Meanwhile, Toronto gets Ray, who is getting up there in age and, as Mark Spector tweeted:

Tillman wants to get "more athletic" at QB. Ray's combo of immobility and weak arm makes him a diminishing asset, IMO.

I would tend to agree with this. Jyles has the ability to scramble and extend plays. Ray is much more of a drop back and pass or take a sack type of player. I'm not sure whether or not Toronto has good enough targets to capitalize on Ray's strengths.

Ah well. I'm glad that there are still things to talk about in the CFL world during the offseason. Waiting to hear who gets chosen as the next Head Coach of the Ti-Cats before i can officially 'shut'er down' and focus on the playoff race in the NFL — and the NHL of course — exclusively.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jyles is not even a quality back-up. You are trading a top QB talent for someone who has already failed multiple times in multiple locations. You can believe whatever you wish and justify the deal to yourself until you are blue in the face, this was a terrible football trade. Period.

Tillman should be fired, or the league should come clean about what part they played.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I certainly don't think Ray is going to do much to right the ship in Toronto.

Jyles isn't going to be an IMPROVEMENT in Edmonton, but through his time in Winnipeg, he was alright at managing games and using his feet to keep plays alive (this was all before his injury, of course). With the running game that remains in Edmonton, and their solid group of recievers, I just cannot definitively say that this is a horrible trade YET, without seeing how things shake up in training camp at least.

Having said that, you're not the only one questioning this move...

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/...t-right-about-the-ricky-ray-trade-to-toronto/

I would have to agree that it is suspicious, though, that Toronto gets this big trade when they're hosting the 100th grey cup this year...

Will have to see how the Refs call the games to see if they get the favourable calls...

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know, if you're right in your suspicions, I wouldn't mind this. I'm getting so bored of the Als being the only good team in the East.

Sure other teams may beat them one year, but they are usually just a flash in the pan, and next year it's all about the Als again.

You're concerned about taking the league seriously and I gotta tell you; I stopped taking the league seriously years ago. Everything about this league stinks of nonprofessionalism.

I love my Riders, and I enjoy watching CFL, but it's so hard to believe that this is actually a professional league.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The East should be really fun to watch this year with Burris, Ray, Calvillo and Pierce all playing for the top spot in the division.

Really looking forward to it!

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well funny how things turn out. What happen swaggerville? Go Stamps! Lions will be tough. I was proven right about the eskie trade as well.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sporting the green and gold as well as the red and black today. Biggest game in CFL history is less than an hour away and my Stampeders are playing in it. 100th Grey Cup and Packers playing the Giants on Sunday night. Does not get much better than this!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts