Canadian Football League

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to my first CFL game next month when Calgary opens up their season against Toronto, should be good. Just moved out to Calgary and hope to see a bunch more this year.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to tell who is who in the CFL but I will comment on the Blue Bombers Alt. jersey they wore earlier this season. It might be my favorite in all of football, they are at least giving the Rough Riders a run for their money for best uni in the CFL with their own Alt. jersey.

It is funny just because both teams regular look are rather hideous, specifically the Bombers. They should both definitely switch permanently in my view.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be in the cards to switch over to the Royal Blue/80s Retro jersey next year, with the opening of the new stadium, permanently. They will be wearing those **** jerseys again Tomorrow/Today (its pretty much midnight)

For those who are reading this who aren't sure what we're talking about:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing uniforms, the logo is so simple but yet so much better than the "W" with a football logo they currently sport. The 49ers, Packers, Giants, Jets, Roughriders Alt, and the Bombers Alt. are definitely my top 6 regardless of league.

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm heading to Regina for the LDC for the first time EVER this year. Its going to be an awesome time!

That's cool! I hope you have a good time, and that the Rider fans are decent to ya. Unfortunately, there are a fair share of rude and obnoxious fans in Regina, just as there are at every stadium. Hopefully, the ones you run into are just up for the normal, good-natured banter!

I was at the Banjo bowl a few years ago (shortly after we moved to Canada, and it was my first time at a live CFL game). It was great. We took a little crap for rooting for the Riders (although at the time we weren't yet devoted FANS like we are now), but it was all in good fun. Course, we were also there with my wife's cousin and his wife. They live in the 'Peg and are big Bomber fans, so that helped our cause too...

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a great game. Got to love it when a game comes down to the last play, with both teams having a shot to win it.

Obviously, i wish Palardy could have made that last kick, or one or two bounces went the Bombers way, but thems the breaks.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see Calvillo set the TD record, not sure if that makes him the best of all-time but it is well deserved nevertheless.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riders SUCK.

Sorry sask_cheesehead, it had to be said. 33-3? against the other 0-2 team? yikes.

And, for the record, it was Buck's leg that got injured this time! ;)

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riders SUCK.

Sorry sask_cheesehead, it had to be said. 33-3? against the other 0-2 team? yikes.

And, for the record, it was Buck's leg that got injured this time! ;)

I don't have much evidence with which to dispute that claim at this point. :banghead:

But, as they say, there's a lot of football left in the season!:beee:

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sask looked great on the road and got the win against the best team in the league (albeit without AC), odd week.

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm heading to Regina for the LDC for the first time EVER this year. Its going to be an awesome time!

Looks like I'm going to end up being at my wife's cousin's place in Winnipeg for the LDC. We've got a $5 bet on the game, as he's a big Bomber fan.

I figure by the the Riders should be hitting full stride and Buck will be in about 6 pieces! :Dancing:

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sask looked great on the road and got the win against the best team in the league (albeit without AC), odd week.

For the first time this year, the Riders actually looked like they wanted to win. AC was looking mediocre at best before he was injured. Still, in the end we almost screwed it up again. It was an odd game for sure.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I've been watching some CFL the last weeks of no NFL football.

Here are some questions, if you guys could please answer:

Which is the best current team? Which is the best franchise ever, like the Packers? Best QB now and ever in CFL? Best defensive player?

Thanks in advance for any answers guys. Want to know which games and players specifically to play closer attention to.

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get a wide range of answers as most of the questions merit an answer based on speculation or opinion! Here's my 2 cents:

Which is the best current team? Which is the best franchise ever, like the Packers?
Best current team: Saskatchewan, of course! :happy0005: (despite the 0-3 start, naturally)
Montreal has won 2 Grey Cups in a row, and have been in the Grey Cup 7 of the last 9 years. So until they're unseated, I guess you'd have to consider them the best. Edmonton has also had a very strong start this year.

As far as best franchise ever... Toronto has won 15 Grey Cups and Edmonton has won 13. So I'd say one of them.

Best QB now and ever in CFL? Best defensive player?

Best QB playing the game today is Anthony Calvillo (plays for Montreal). He may be remembered as the best ever as well. Until this year Damon Allen held most of the big records (Career yards, completions, TD's, etc.) but Calvillo has broken or probably will break them by the end of the year. The other top current QB I'd say is Ricky Ray of Edmonton. Ray is on the decline, though, and Calvillo is in his final year(s) despite the fact that he is still great.

Currently, I'd lump all the rest of the starting QB's together. None really stands out consistently (though personally I'd give a slight edge to Burris from Calgary and Durant from Saskatchewan based on the past couple years) except the QB's from Toronto. They suck.

Best Defensive player is much harder to pick IMO. Here is a link to the league leaders from last year, so take it for what you will!

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.S. The Calgary@Saskatchewan game on NFLN this Saturday night should be a good game. Divisional rivalry between two teams that really don't like each other.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is the best current team? Which is the best franchise ever, like the Packers? Best QB now and ever in CFL? Best defensive player?

The current best team would be Edmonton, they're 4-0 with a new coach, and have completely shocked the league. In the East, Montreal and Winnipeg are tied for first.

The best franchise is really debatable, and it will all depend on what you use as the determining factor for being the 'best'. If its championships, then it's Toronto, although these days the Argonauts don't get very much fan support, considering there are over 5 million people in the Greater Toronto Area, and they average about 25,000 fans in the Rogers Centre with a capacity of 31,000-50,000 if necessary.

Saskatchewan could be considered a comparable franchise to the Packers, in that the fan base is super passionate (for the most part... there were dark days in the 90s) despite winning only 3 championships in almost 100 years.

Montreal has been the best team of late, as has been stated, as they've won the past two grey cups and have appeared in 8 Grey Cup games since 2000. As a fan of their easter rival, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, this has pissed me off to no end.

Best QB right now in the CFL would have to be a healthy Anthony Calvillo, although he is on the decline and will likely retire this year. Ricky Ray has also been playing great. Buck Pierce has been playing some good football lately, going 22/27 for 300+ yards and 3 TDs in his last game, but he has a knack for getting injured.

Best QB of all-time is an interesting question. Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, Matt Dunnigan, Kenny Ploen, Ron Lancaster, Russ Jackson, Damon Allen, are all notably great QBs from different eras in the CFL who jumped to the top of my mind.

Thanks in advance for any answers guys. Want to know which games and players specifically to play closer attention to.

I would have to say that (all bias aside) the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will be a very interesting team to follow for the remainder of the season. Starting off 3-1, the Bombers have the most dominant defense in the league right now. They lead the league in sacks, passing yards against and points against.

Unfortunately, as of yesterday, our Assistant Head Coach and long-time D-line coach, Richard Harris, passed away suddenly from a massive heart attack. Harris, who was a former NFL D-lineman drafted 5th overall in 1971 by the Philadelphia Eagles, was a gentle giant, beloved by the fans and simply adored by the players. The loss has hit the team hard, as many of the guys on the team felt that he took on the role of father figure on the team (even our head coach, Paul LaPolice, made a comment in an interview today that he considered Harris to be a fatherly figure for the coaching staff as well.

Given how devastated the entire team is, their next game tomorrow at home against the BC Lions will be an incredibly emotional experience. We will wait and see how the team will be able to cope after losing not only their assistant coach but a great friend.

Time will tell whether or not the team will be able to rally together and use this horrible event as motivation to go out there and be better, stronger, faster, for Coach Harris, or if the emotional distress will just be too much to handle. Right now, things still haven't fully sunk in for everyone at the Bombers organization.

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice, eloquent comments (for a Bomber fan), Pegger. ;)

Though I shouldn't be too surprised since being a Packer fan proves that you DO have good taste! Anyways, good to hear your 2 cents as I'm sure you've been following the CFL much longer than I have.

I agree with the Riders as a franchise and fandom having a similar "feel" to the Packers. I noticed that when I moved here from WI 8 years ago (and never having seen a CFL game). Small market team, but lots of community involvement and rabid fan base.

I also agree that the Bombers will be interesting to watch this year. They are (though it's hard to admit sometimes given my location) my second favorite CFL team... mostly because my wife's cousin (the Bomber fan) and I have a standing agreement to root for the other's team as long as they are not playing against each other. His mom's family is from the Yorkton area, so it's really not too much of a stretch for him. I'm hoping that the Bombers dedicate the rest of the season to Harris and play with a vengeance (before losing in the Grey Cup to SK).

Members online

Latest posts