Canadian Football League

packerswin96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if it is more popular, I would say they are about even. I am from Saskatchewan and am a Rider fan, but the Packers mean more to me than the Riders do. I do not know why because the CFL game is a great one and very exciting to watch but maybe because there are only 8 (sometimes 9) teams it is hard to take the game so seriously?

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that there is an equal number of people who like one league or the other, and defiantly defend their favourite league while trashing the other...

And then there are people like me who love both, and happily watch both equally!

But in terms of which is a bigger draw, This year's Grey Cup drew in 4.94 million viewers, while Super Bowl 45 drew in 7.3 million who watched the fox feed. Of course, I would imagine that there were a significant number of those viewers who were just watching for the Super Bowl commercials or for the spectacle of the whole thing, and aren't big football fans.

But generally, I would say that during the summer months, when it's ONLY CFL, its the top dog, but once the fall comes, and sundays are split (CFL usually tends to stick with Friday and Saturday games in the fall), that NFL takes over.

For starters, it's way easier to bet on NFL games than CFL games.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
we didnt know cyrus would be a *****. she acted all goody two shoes till she was on the verge of 18

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear America, You produced Miley Cyrus. Bieber is your punishment. Sincerely, Canada
But....but...You gave us Dan Akeroyd and we returned that favor with the Blues Brothers.
Can't that make up for this disaster? Please?

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where I am in Saskatchewan, CFL is more popular by leaps and bounds. As for me, I enjoy them both greatly. But an NFL championship seems to mean more because of the # of teams in the league (as someone else pointed out).

OP
OP
Unomee

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that there is an equal number of people who like one league or the other, and defiantly defend their favourite league while trashing the other...

And then there are people like me who love both, and happily watch both equally!

But in terms of which is a bigger draw, This year's Grey Cup drew in 4.94 million viewers, while Super Bowl 45 drew in 7.3 million who watched the fox feed. Of course, I would imagine that there were a significant number of those viewers who were just watching for the Super Bowl commercials or for the spectacle of the whole thing, and aren't big football fans.

But generally, I would say that during the summer months, when it's ONLY CFL, its the top dog, but once the fall comes, and sundays are split (CFL usually tends to stick with Friday and Saturday games in the fall), that NFL takes over.

For starters, it's way easier to bet on NFL games than CFL games.

The Grey Cup, is that played on a neutral site like the Super Bowl is?

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, though, the Grey Cup was only available on cable/satellite. While the Super Bowl was available on CTV as local broadcast (or what is "lovingly" referred to here as "farmervision"). Around here there are MANY people who don't have cable/satellite and so watch whatever happens to be on one of the two farmervision stations.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have nothing against the CFL, I have a few friends who like them and watch their games from time to time (mostly because my old school buddies and I were big Warren Moon fans)

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Grey Cup, is that played on a neutral site like the Super Bowl is?

Yep. There seems to be a tendancy to want to play the game in domes to avoid the cold, but to that i say BOOO!

Football isn't meant to be played in a Dome. I wish there could be a Super Bowl played @ Lambeau Field, but the 'big wigs' would never have it...

...Granted, the temperature in November feels like summer compared to the temperature in February... brrrrrrrr.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is definitely more popular in my experience. The CFL has a big fan base and is loved by those that follow it closely. I am an NFL guy though, but the CFL is a great league.

ryanbodman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the summer, I'm all about the Blue Bombers, come fall, it's all Packers, all the time.
Would I drive 13 hours for a CFL game? No. Do I drive 13 hours for Packer games? Every year, at least once.

OP
OP
Unomee

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the CFL in America; well, CFL games are broadcast here, but I haven't seen one in a long time. Perhaps the CFL has more popularity in those states close to Canada?

The season there starts in late June or early July and it would be great to see some football while awaiting the NFL and NCAA to begin in September.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the CFL in America; well, CFL games are broadcast here, but I haven't seen one in a long time. Perhaps the CFL has more popularity in those states close to Canada?

I live in Wisconsin, which is close to Canada, and I don't recall ever seeing a CFL game. Maybe it's for select networks such as NFL Network.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its shown on NFL Network, correct.

Despite the HATERS, I declare this thread the official CFL discussion thread, what with the upcoming season... And given the lock out, it might be the only football discussion in 2011 :icon_eek::eek::dontknow:

VANRIDERFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you can tell from my username the Riders and CFL are #1 for me, but I follow the Packers when I watch NFL. For you American's don't let the Canadian haters of the CFL cloud your judgement. Watch it on the NFL network and make your own conclusions. The field is bigger and some of the rules are different but in the end it is football. I don't think one league is better than the other. In my mind the NFL has more money (to attract the top talent) and more teams than the CFL and that is what makes the NFL a little more enjoyable (but not by much) because there is more variety.
For some sad reason, some Canadians think that everything that comes from Canada is second rate compared to America.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to work at the Blue Bombers stadium, and would occasionally go see a game, tell me, how much does it cost to go to an NFL game? from the close seats to the nosebleed section? For $50 you are near the sidelines in the CFL, for $20 you are still not that far from the ground.

Before moving to Canada in 2002, I saw no CFL ever, the NFL has the money and as such were able to sell the broadcast into Australia, growing up we always had NFL on the TV, though back in the 80's it was about a hour or so of highlights and one game extended highlights of about 30 minutes.

I quite enjoyed the CFL, because of the 3 down system, they have a bigger field and much larger end zone, and as a result, you end up with high scoring games. The running game is never as much as a factor as it can be in the NFL, but nowadays the NFL is more of a passing game anyway, that is what the CFL has always been.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts