Can we keep all our upcoming free agents?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I for one wouldn't pay him the most at his position unless he plays better than the rest at his position, he honestly isn't the best OLB in the NFL. Yes, he's a stud. Yes, I hope he stays forever. No, he's not the best in the NFL. I would pay him comparably amongst the best in the league, but I wouldn't butcher our salary cap making him the richest LB in the league.

Outside of DeMarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs, CM3 is the best 3-4 OLB in the league. He is the best player on the Packers defense and the only pass rusher other teams need to account for. If CM3 misses any time, the defense may give up 40 points a game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
# of Super Bowl Championships:

Ted Thompson: 1
JenningsLongCatch: 0

HAHAHAHAHA.... Good one

I'm just commenting on the "other players will emerge" assumption. Having blind faith that TT will continue to pluck high caliber players in all rounds of the draft and (undrafted) free agency is insane. Having blind faith that TT will draft players better than Jennings, Raji and Matthews is even crazier.

I wasn't dissing TT. No need to defend him. Once again, just commenting on the assumption that TT will draft players equal to or better than Raji, Jennings and CM3.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except you kinda are.

You are one of the most vocal complainers every year Ted doesn't make some kind of big name splash for some big name player in free agency. The complaining continues every time Ted doesn't make some ridiculously asinine trade for some other team's cast offs. Yet somehow we've been a contender almost every year he's been here. Unless he suddenly starts missing on every single pick he makes, there's absolutely zero reason to doubt his track record will see us replenish any stars we might lose in the future.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miller would be higher on my list, along with Ware. Probably only these two though
Von Miller and DemArcus Ware. Probably.
Ware has a bit more mileage on him than Clay does, I think 2 years older, so I'm not sure if I would make that trade. Plus Ware makes a lot more $.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brodrick Bunkey might be available and I put him in an off-season mock already. I've seen others have him too.
Of course, I would bet A LOT against it happening with us. Still, just saw this:
Green Bay -- The Packers' defense didn't take a step back solely due to the loss of Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. Some of their best players didn't play at their 2010 form. In a recent study by ProFootballFocus.com, B.J. Raji ranked 46th of 46 interior defensive linemen who played at least 200 snaps in run defense. Raji played plenty of end, as the article notes, but had a run-stop percentage of 2.4%.
There are several factors. Raji, as much as any player, was affected by Cullen Jenkins leaving in free agency. He played nearly 80% of the defensive snaps in 2011. Maybe moving back and forth at the nose and the 3-technique affected his play. Looking back, Raji was more effective outside than inside. Too often at the nose, he was stood up. Whatever the case, the Packers probably have bigger concerns to worry about on defense than Raji, who did make the Pro Bowl.
Denver's Brodrick Bunkley (11.3%) and the New York Jets' Sione Pouha (10.2%) led the interior linemen on PFF's rankings. The former Packer Jenkins finished fourth (9.1%).
Meanwhile, amongst the 3-4 defensive ends, Ryan Pickett finished 13th of 23 players at 6.3% in PFF's run-stop percentage.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142086283.html

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brodrick Bunkey might be available and I put him in an off-season mock already. I've seen others have him too.
Of course, I would bet A LOT against it happening with us. Still, just saw this:
Green Bay -- The Packers' defense didn't take a step back solely due to the loss of Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. Some of their best players didn't play at their 2010 form. In a recent study by ProFootballFocus.com, B.J. Raji ranked 46th of 46 interior defensive linemen who played at least 200 snaps in run defense. Raji played plenty of end, as the article notes, but had a run-stop percentage of 2.4%.
There are several factors. Raji, as much as any player, was affected by Cullen Jenkins leaving in free agency. He played nearly 80% of the defensive snaps in 2011. Maybe moving back and forth at the nose and the 3-technique affected his play. Looking back, Raji was more effective outside than inside. Too often at the nose, he was stood up. Whatever the case, the Packers probably have bigger concerns to worry about on defense than Raji, who did make the Pro Bowl.
Denver's Brodrick Bunkley (11.3%) and the New York Jets' Sione Pouha (10.2%) led the interior linemen on PFF's rankings. The former Packer Jenkins finished fourth (9.1%).
Meanwhile, amongst the 3-4 defensive ends, Ryan Pickett finished 13th of 23 players at 6.3% in PFF's run-stop percentage.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142086283.html

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except you kinda are.

You are one of the most vocal complainers every year Ted doesn't make some kind of big name splash for some big name player in free agency. The complaining continues every time Ted doesn't make some ridiculously asinine trade for some other team's cast offs. Yet somehow we've been a contender almost every year he's been here. Unless he suddenly starts missing on every single pick he makes, there's absolutely zero reason to doubt his track record will see us replenish any stars we might lose in the future.

The only complaining I did was for Marshawn Lynch. And he's better than Grant, Starks, Saine and Kuhn combined into one player. Super Bowl or no Super Bowl, he's an upgrade at the running back position.

If you can't see the flaw in the "other players will emerge" assumption then I guess there is no point on continuing this conversation. Jennings, Raji and Matthews are Pro Bowl players who are in the top 5 - 10 players at their position. To assume that players like these can be let go and "other players will emerge" show a lot of faith. I just don't think Pro Bowl players are as easy to come by as you do.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are one of the most vocal complainers every year Ted doesn't make some kind of big name splash for some big name player in free agency. The complaining continues every time Ted doesn't make some ridiculously asinine trade for some other team's cast offs.

Outside of Marshawn Lynch, I would love to see some proof of this "complaining".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA.... Good one

I'm just commenting on the "other players will emerge" assumption. Having blind faith that TT will continue to pluck high caliber players in all rounds of the draft and (undrafted) free agency is insane. Having blind faith that TT will draft players better than Jennings, Raji and Matthews is even crazier.

I wasn't dissing TT. No need to defend him. Once again, just commenting on the assumption that TT will draft players equal to or better than Raji, Jennings and CM3.

Usually when you make an assumption you make an *** of you and me, but in this case, its all you. When did I say that TT will draft players better than Raji, Jennings, and CM3?

Blind faith?

2005: Rodgers, Collins
2006: Jennings, Hawk, Colledge, Sptiz
2007: Bishop, Crosby, Jones
2008: Sitton, Finley, Nelson
2009: Raji, CM3, Lang
2010: Bulaga, Burnett, Starks
2011: Looks like we have a few good ones

Looks like a pretty good track record of finding talent in the draft. Add to that some good UFAs - hell, look at Zombo and Shields and their role in the SB. Thinking he may find additional talent in future drafts is common sense, not blind faith.

The question should be about your blind hatred of TT that makes you think he will suddenly start drafting poorly. You have to ignore all the past history and assume things will be different going forward?

TT doesn't have to find players better than raji, jennings or CM3, although he very well may. Maybe the next irreplaceable player TT gets is an amazing DE. Or maybe its an OLB that is a very effective run stopper. A different type of player than CM3. Of the list, I hope we resign all 3, but I know if we don't there are other players who will likely step forward and pick up the slack.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually when you make an assumption you make an *** of you and me, but in this case, its all you. When did I say that TT will draft players better than Raji, Jennings, and CM3?

Blind faith?

2005: Rodgers, Collins
2006: Jennings, Hawk, Colledge, Sptiz
2007: Bishop, Crosby, Jones
2008: Sitton, Finley, Nelson
2009: Raji, CM3, Lang
2010: Bulaga, Burnett, Starks
2011: Looks like we have a few good ones

Looks like a pretty good track record of finding talent in the draft. Add to that some good UFAs - hell, look at Zombo and Shields and their role in the SB. Thinking he may find additional talent in future drafts is common sense, not blind faith.

The question should be about your blind hatred of TT that makes you think he will suddenly start drafting poorly. You have to ignore all the past history and assume things will be different going forward?

TT doesn't have to find players better than raji, jennings or CM3, although he very well may. Maybe the next irreplaceable player TT gets is an amazing DE. Or maybe its an OLB that is a very effective run stopper. A different type of player than CM3. Of the list, I hope we resign all 3, but I know if we don't there are other players who will likely step forward and pick up the slack.

Please see Post #28 in response to your ridiculousness. :tup:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

I don’t believe “blind faith” is necessary to expect Thompson will “continue to pluck high caliber players in all rounds of the draft and (undrafted) free agency.” Thompson has conducted seven drafts as GM, assume for a moment he’ll conduct the next seven. He’s 59 years old so it’s certainly possible he’ll still be the GM for the next seven drafts.

I believe the consensus opinion is Thompson excels at acquiring talent through the draft and UDFA and IMO the facts back up that consensus. I believe he’s selected pro bowl caliber players in each draft from ’05 through ’10 (I’m including Bulaga in that group), with the exception of the ’07 draft. If he had struck gold with early first rounders only an argument could be made he couldn’t repeat his success, because he wouldn’t have the same opportunities if the Packers are legit contenders for the next seven years. But he’s only had three picks in the first half of the first round. One was a bust (Harrell), another has been a disappointment based on where he was picked (Hawk) and the last one (Raji) is a difference-maker in spite of taking a step back in 2011. OTOH Bulaga was picked at #23, Rodgers at #24, and Clay at #26. Collins was picked at #51 and Jennings at #52. The front office and scouting staff is intact except for the loss of McKenzie who I don’t think was vital regarding success drafting.

As I look at Thompson and his staff’s record in seven drafts, I wonder why JenningsLongCatch doesn’t think they can replicate approximately the same kind of success they’ve had going forward.

Thompson’s way is retain core players so I expect most of the players mentioned in this thread will get extensions. But I also expect Thompson to continue to excel at what he does best, the draft and UDFA.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t believe “blind faith” is necessary to expect Thompson will “continue to pluck high caliber players in all rounds of the draft and (undrafted) free agency.” Thompson has conducted seven drafts as GM, assume for a moment he’ll conduct the next seven. He’s 59 years old so it’s certainly possible he’ll still be the GM for the next seven drafts.

I believe the consensus opinion is Thompson excels at acquiring talent through the draft and UDFA and IMO the facts back up that consensus. I believe he’s selected pro bowl caliber players in each draft from ’05 through ’10 (I’m including Bulaga in that group), with the exception of the ’07 draft. If he had struck gold with early first rounders only an argument could be made he couldn’t repeat his success, because he wouldn’t have the same opportunities if the Packers are legit contenders for the next seven years. But he’s only had three picks in the first half of the first round. One was a bust (Harrell), another has been a disappointment based on where he was picked (Hawk) and the last one (Raji) is a difference-maker in spite of taking a step back in 2011. OTOH Bulaga was picked at #23, Rodgers at #24, and Clay at #26. Collins was picked at #51 and Jennings at #52. The front office and scouting staff is intact except for the loss of McKenzie who I don’t think was vital regarding success drafting.

As I look at Thompson and his staff’s record in seven drafts, I wonder why JenningsLongCatch doesn’t think they can replicate approximately the same kind of success they’ve had going forward.

Thompson’s way is retain core players so I expect most of the players mentioned in this thread will get extensions. But I also expect Thompson to continue to excel at what he does best, the draft and UDFA.

Once again, I was commenting on the assumption that players like Jennings, Raji and Matthews can be let go because "other players will emerge". I feel it is extremely hard to pick these kind of players consistently ever year. This "other players will emerge" assumption hurt the Packers last year with players like Mike Neal, Jarius Wynn and Erik Walden. I was just saying that I would like to keep players like Jennings, Raji and Matthews instead of hoping that other players will emerge.

If anything I said here is off base, please let me know.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I was commenting on the assumption that players like Jennings, Raji and Matthews can be let go because "other players will emerge". I feel it is extremely hard to pick these kind of players consistently ever year. This "other players will emerge" assumption hurt the Packers last year with players like Mike Neal, Jarius Wynn and Erik Walden. I was just saying that I would like to keep players like Jennings, Raji and Matthews instead of hoping that other players will emerge.

If anything I said here is off base, please let me know.

agreed. After winning the SB last year a lot of people suddenly except w/e TT does, as I've said before. He's got plenty of guys that were busts or didn't pan out (Harrell, Brohm)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for bringing so much to forum... Keep up the good work!
Well sir, Touché!

I have to concede defeat as I am no match for that razor sharp wit of yours. You have completely proven to me, and all who read this thread, that TT is completely inept at drafting. Your lack citations, examples, and analysis was a shrewd debate tactic and leaves little doubt that you are absolutely correct. I will admit I was completely fooled by your efforts to appear ignorant of the english language and appearing to not actually read posts you respond to: by which, I fell right into your clever trap! I now agree that it is entirely laughable to think that TT will ever draft another impact player.

Well played, your cerebral analysis has left me feeling entirely inadequate on an intellectual level. My understanding of TT now seems so superficial and I shall devote myself to a lengthy study of the Packers and TT so I also can see this incompetence.

Again Sir, Bravo!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. After winning the SB last year a lot of people suddenly except w/e TT does, as I've said before. He's got plenty of guys that were busts or didn't pan out (Harrell, Brohm)

Thank you... That was all I was saying... Stick with your stars instead of always assuming the player behind him is better.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well sir, Touché!

I have to concede defeat as I am no match for that razor sharp wit of yours. You have completely proven to me, and all who read this thread, that TT is completely inept at drafting. Your lack citations, examples, and analysis was a shrewd debate tactic and leaves little doubt that you are absolutely correct. I will admit I was completely fooled by your efforts to appear ignorant of the english language and appearing to not actually read posts you respond to: by which, I fell right into your clever trap! I now agree that it is entirely laughable to think that TT will ever draft another impact player.

Well played, your cerebral analysis has left me feeling entirely inadequate on an intellectual level. My understanding of TT now seems so superficial and I shall devote myself to a lengthy study of the Packers and TT so I also can see this incompetence.

Again Sir, Bravo!

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." :tup:

Members online

Latest posts