Can we keep all our upcoming free agents?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the Packers keep all their upcoming free agents?

Jennings
Raji
Lang
Matthews
Rodgers
Finley
Burnett

Should we expect to lose a star or two?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not just add this years first round draft pick to that list?? You are speculating pretty far into the future with some of those contracts.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd expect us to lose Finley if he doesn't produce at the pro-bowl level everyone seems to think he's capable of in the next two seasons. This extension was an "Enough of the BS, go prove it" contract. We'll see what he does.

I think everyone else are either our core nucleus of player or will be smaller contracts, which should make keeping them a bit easier.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd expect us to lose Finley if he doesn't produce at the pro-bowl level everyone seems to think he's capable of in the next two seasons. This extension was an "Enough of the BS, go prove it" contract. We'll see what he does.

I think everyone else are either our core nucleus of player or will be smaller contracts, which should make keeping them a bit easier.

If Finley doesn't produce then it won't be much of a loss now will it? I expect him to have a solid couple of years barring any injury.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jennings
Raji
Lang
Matthews
Rodgers
Finley
Burnett

Jennings, no, contract will get done

Raji, he's got time and still has to prove himself, but except it to get done

Lang - he'll be cheap, so sure

Mathews - oh hell yeah it will, he's in the same boat as Jennings

Rodgers - he'll retire a Packer

Finely - only if he does well enough to warrant it next year, the deal is structured in a way that if he's injured again or has subpar year he'll get cut

Burrnett - is he considered a star? I put him with Lang, unless he really stands out and starts acting like Colins, he'll be cheap or they'll let him go, especially if a Safety gets drafted this year

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not just add this years first round draft pick to that list?? You are speculating pretty far into the future with some of those contracts.

How so? 2 years is the farthest. You cant just go signing players left and right and forget about the future, unless you are Sherman.

Rodgers - his contract will need to be reworked in the next year or so. His play has outpaced his contract.

Jennings - contract year

Lang - contract year

Raji - free agent in 2 years

Matthews - free agent in 2 years

Finley - free agent in 2 years

Burnett - Free Agent in 2 years.

Do people not realize this is going to be some major work from the front office with several high profile contracts? Matthews is going to want to be the highest paid player at his position, and so will Rodgers. Jennings isnt going to come cheap either. The rest need to prove themselves, and I am sure one will explode onto the scene and deserve a large contract as well

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

Jennings
Raji
Lang
Matthews
Rodgers
Finley
Burnett

This is probably where our conservative approach will pay off. The money we save likely not signing any big free agents and making other cuts will allow us to keep players that we actually need. I hope we can keep a majority.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The only player on the list that is more than two years away from having his contract up is Rodgers.

Contracts expiring after this season: Jennings and Lang.
Contracts expiring after the 2013 season: Matthews, Finley and Burnett. BTW, so does Newhouse’s and if Collins comes back his deal is up after the ’13 season, too.

Rodgers’ deal is up after 2014. I believe the salary cap is going to take a substantial jump in the next couple of seasons and that will help the Packers fit their core players under the cap. BTW, while Finley’s contract is a two-year deal, I think it’s likely he’ll get extended next spring because (I think) he’s due to receive over $9M in 2013.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is going to want to be the highest paid player at his position

Well, I for one wouldn't pay him the most at his position unless he plays better than the rest at his position, he honestly isn't the best OLB in the NFL. Yes, he's a stud. Yes, I hope he stays forever. No, he's not the best in the NFL. I would pay him comparably amongst the best in the league, but I wouldn't butcher our salary cap making him the richest LB in the league.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I for one wouldn't pay him the most at his position unless he plays better than the rest at his position, he honestly isn't the best OLB in the NFL. Yes, he's a stud. Yes, I hope he stays forever. No, he's not the best in the NFL. I would pay him comparably amongst the best in the league, but I wouldn't butcher our salary cap making him the richest LB in the league.

Rarely are the players paid where they rank at the position. Bill Parcells complained after LT got his contract that every other LB in the league who has a decent year thinks they deserve LT money.

2nd highest paid player in the league last season? .... Sam Bradford. Mark Sanchez made almost 2x as much as Rodgers.

Ware is the best LB in the league. IMO its hands down. But its been awhile since he got his contract. the money will move up from there. So with Ware's $79 mil contract with $40 mil guaranteed you are going to only go up from there. $90 mil $50 mil guaranteed wouldnt shock me.

Its a good problem to have. But also an expensive one.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Finley doesn't produce then it won't be much of a loss now will it? I expect him to have a solid couple of years barring any injury.

No, of course not, but that wasn't the question. The question was whether we thought we'd be able to keep our free agents or not.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, of course not, but that wasn't the question. The question was whether we thought we'd be able to keep our free agents or not.

You answered the question saying if Finley doesn't produce then we will lose him. I said if he doesn't produce then it's not much of a loss. Do you get it now?

There was a touch of sarcasm in my original post because what you said is common sense, of course if someone doesn't produce at a high enough level then we will let them go.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for you that you get so easily offended over something so minor as me making a post pointing out in a non-aggressive way that you stated the obvious. Instead of calling names maybe you should just take a break from posting for a while.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My beliefs are that Rodgers will get a deal in the middle of the season making him the highest paid player in the NFL. I think he deserves all the money he gets as well. My guess is that it will be something like a 7 year deal. As for the rest of the players im sure we will lose 1 if not 2 in the upcoming years, its just the way of sports, cant keep everybody.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name the OLB's that you would trade Clay Matthews for, seriously, factor in their ages and character too......

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for you that you get so easily offended over something so minor as me making a post pointing out in a non-aggressive way that you stated the obvious. Instead of calling names maybe you should just take a break from posting for a while.

I don't get easily offended, but I do respond in kind. And you, sir, were being a *****.

That is all.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be plenty of cap room to get those contracts done if we choose to. They come due in different years and all don't have to be addressed immediately. This is much ado about nothing.

That is all.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the whole point of the "don't sign any free agents ever" motto was to keep cap space open for resigning "the core"? If the Packers stick to this, resigning players shouldn't be a problem. Plus, the cap number goes waaayyyy up in 2014.

If the Packers need space, just cut AJ Hawk... PROBLEM SOLVED! :p

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Totally agree. This is a make or break season for Finley. If he has a bad season he could get cut next yr. He needs at least 1000 yds & 10+ TDs.

Members online

Latest posts