Can we discuss the CURRENT running backs?

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
I think theyre both doin a hell of a job, and theyre are doin theyre job. I say we arent one dimensional team anymore.

davepyne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson

I think Jackson is just an 'ok' running back. As far as stats go it is hard to just go by YPC. I website I really like for more intelligent stats is footballoutsiders.com They have Bjax ranked 31st among all active running backs. They show him as an average "replacement level" running back. It is worth giving footballoutsiders.com a visit to check out their innovative statistical/ratings system.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
and what is that exactly? Consistently put us between 2nd/3rd and 8 and 2nd/3rd and 12? I think it's more of we don't have a choice we need to try to run, but when your in long situations all the time you can't continue it. I think we had 1 first down via rush last game. You don't need to be an analyst to see he's slow to a hole, and doesn't have any ability to break tackles. With his body type it should seem like he would be more difficult to bring down, but that's just not the case.

And don't exaggerate my opinions and compare Jackson to Rodgers. The OP asked what our opinions were on the RB's. Not everyone has to see things the same way.

I apologize for the hyperbole, I'm just getting a little frustrated with the redundant dwelling on the running backs that we could have had. I understand you're just analyzing the situation, I was venting from reading other posts I suppose.

I was all for getting Lynch or DeAngelo back when I thought we had the possibility to. However, the more and more this season has played out, the more and more I've realized that our problems on offense are much more than the RB in Jackson. It's rare that holes even open for him and more often than not, the line crumbles on him before he even gets the chance to look upfield. I'm perfectly happy with the production were getting out of him as it is. No one should expect him to be a Chris Johnson or an AP, and I don't think anyone should be comparing him to them. He's a backup and he's performing exactly as that. I'm not saying he's good, I'm saying that he's adequate to gain enough yards when the defense isn't paying attention to take the pressure off of Rodgers and the passing game. No he's not gaining 8 yards on every 1st down, but he's showing defenses that they can't just ignore our ground game, he can make them pay and get those 10 yards or so. To me, that seems like enough to get our offense going. It's not great by any means, but it's enough.

Our greatness lies in other areas of our offense, that at this moment, really aren't living up to expectations.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jackson is just an 'ok' running back. As far as stats go it is hard to just go by YPC. I website I really like for more intelligent stats is footballoutsiders.com They have Bjax ranked 31st among all active running backs. They show him as an average "replacement level" running back. It is worth giving footballoutsiders.com a visit to check out their innovative statistical/ratings system.

I like them too, but I also like Pro Football Focus. focus has Jackson ranked 7th. Seems a little high but they watch as much tape as anyone else. The also take other things into consideration including blocking and pass catching

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as running the ball, I wouldn't describe our O-LINE as a POWERFUL COHESIVE UNIT either...there is improvement needed in the LG & potentially center if we want to improve our Rushing Statistics

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our greatness lies in other areas of our offense, that at this moment, really aren't living up to expectations.

THIS is a great point. Even with Grant our running game wasn't a position of strength. If our offense was clicking the way it did last season, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned Lynch and his 2.8 yards per carry a few times...

But you cant use avg per carry for RB according to some :sigh: :dontknow:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THIS is a great point. Even with Grant our running game wasn't a position of strength. If our offense was clicking the way it did last season, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
uhhh ryan grant was a big part of our second half push last season, our play action was out of this world. Grant can take one to the house on any given play. With grant in it was a major strength.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when we all dogged Ryan Grant? jeez Im missing the good ol days

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To sum up:
From reading everything, lemme see if I got this.
Kuhn is just OK for short yardage.
(I wonder if the crowd calls "Kuuuuuuuuuhhhhhn" just because it's fun. Like doing the wave even if the team is losing.)

Brandon Jackson is not great because he isn't given enough chances and part of that could be because of the O-Line.
He is average (Which the stats show that some will accept and others won't) but he is good enough for what we need right now.
And the Packers really aren't a running team which is why Jackson could be a good fit for them.

Is that pretty much it?
Did I miss anything?
Any corrections?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I apologize for the hyperbole, I'm just getting a little frustrated with the redundant dwelling on the running backs that we could have had. I understand you're just analyzing the situation, I was venting from reading other posts I suppose.

I was all for getting Lynch or DeAngelo back when I thought we had the possibility to. However, the more and more this season has played out, the more and more I've realized that our problems on offense are much more than the RB in Jackson. It's rare that holes even open for him and more often than not, the line crumbles on him before he even gets the chance to look upfield. I'm perfectly happy with the production were getting out of him as it is. No one should expect him to be a Chris Johnson or an AP, and I don't think anyone should be comparing him to them. He's a backup and he's performing exactly as that. I'm not saying he's good, I'm saying that he's adequate to gain enough yards when the defense isn't paying attention to take the pressure off of Rodgers and the passing game. No he's not gaining 8 yards on every 1st down, but he's showing defenses that they can't just ignore our ground game, he can make them pay and get those 10 yards or so. To me, that seems like enough to get our offense going. It's not great by any means, but it's enough.

Good post

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To sum up:
From reading everything, lemme see if I got this.
Kuhn is just OK for short yardage.
(I wonder if the crowd calls "Kuuuuuuuuuhhhhhn" just because it's fun. Like doing the wave even if the team is losing.)

Brandon Jackson is not great because he isn't given enough chances and part of that could be because of the O-Line.
He is average (Which the stats show that some will accept and others won't) but he is good enough for what we need right now.
And the Packers really aren't a running team which is why Jackson could be a good fit for them.

Is that pretty much it?
Did I miss anything?
Any corrections?

Im good with that.

Munny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can ram 'stats' down everyone's throats as much as you wish. They are just stats and do not necessarily indicate the level of quality in a player. Stats are easily skewed!

Anyone on here claiming BJack is a worthy starting RB is full of it, period.

Watch him run and tell me he is a premier RB like his stats suggest. If you really WATCH you will see: HE HAS NO VISION, NO CUT BACK ABILITY - NEEDED IN A ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME, HE CAN NOT BREAK TACKLES, and HE HESITATES WAY TO OFTEN AND THE HOLE CLOSES!

Would I love to see a better RB in place? Sure, but we don't really need one considering Grant WILL return. Would it be nice to have a RB in there to help open up our passing game, hell yeah, but TT and MM seem to be fine with BJack. Oh well, time will tell if TT and MM made the right decision by sticking with 'what they have'.

Personally I would take ANY of these over a BJack/Kuhn tandem:
Frank Gore
Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
DeAngelo Williams

I would really like to see Mendenhall in GB :) but that will never happen.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Personally I would take ANY of these over a BJack/Khun tandem:
Frank Gore
Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
DeAngelo Williams
Ray Rice
MJD
Portis
Steven Jackson
Nobody's saying Jackson is better than Gore, CJ2K, Rice, MJD, or Steven Jackson. That'd be foolish.

StarBustFB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson is doing better than I thought he would, and I really like what Kuhn brings to the table. If we had a Darren Sproles-like, diminutive scatback we could mix up some two back sets and confuse other defenses. That said, we do miss Grant, and his loss has been especially felt in my fantasy league!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
50 carries, 140 yards 2.8 per and 1 td?

that make people happy?

Thats Lynch with the Seahawks

What a lift he gave them

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight against the Cowboys our running backs did very very well.
Better than I've seen them all season.
I hope they keep it up.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so im guessing we will be reading a thread in the offseason on how we need to pick up whatever Dallas RB that was cut.

Latest posts