Can the Pack stop Peterson?

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the fortune or misfortune of watching the Minnesota-San Diego game yesterday and Peterson just ran through them at will. Once he was around the corner it was lights out. He is a tremendous runner and his acceleration is something else.

Granted, it was against the Chargers, but unless the Pack can shut him down (like kidnap him before game time), I see him running for 150-200 yards against us.

How do you think, and what do you think the Pack will do to hold this guy in check?

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems as if we are witnessing the birth of the next great NFL back, and with great backs you can never shut them down - rather you hope to contain them and limit the damage they can inflict.

I think there are several keys to this game. 1. The slower track will obviously help neutralize him somewhat; 2. contain the edges, so he can not get around the corner and into the open field; 3. Take away the other options on offense; 4. Get the lead; and, 5. do not miss tackles and swarm to the ball.

I still see him as likely getting 100-150 yards, but if the above happen those yards will not hurt.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Didn't they run a 8 man front the last game against the Vikings!?

They did that to stop LT. Probably will do that again to stop Peterson. Or at least slow him down. Then rely on the corners and safeties and hope they stop the Viking's passing game. Seems like a good scheme to me. I'm not terrified of the Viking's passing game. I can't even think of their QB or WR names at this moment. Stop Peterson and you got a good shot at winning. Seems like the Vikings highlight film is Peterson running..period. Seems logical if you want to win, do everything to stop Peterson. Granted, seems like that might be harder said than done.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I for some reason think we will be able to hold to something where we will still win the game. I don't know if I hit my head last night or what, but I just am not overly concerned about it.

I know I don't like that Rice vs Bush match up again.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be nice to have an impact rookie in our team....

Well, I hope next year our benchwarmer 1st round pick rookie will be soo good that we can have a very very nice anchor in the middle of the Dline to help us deal with AP,,, I really do, we will face this guy 2 times a year for the next 10 years.

So lets hope Justin evolves into a dominating force for the Dline !!!

As of today I think we will find a way to contain him.. And we will find a way to win the game even in a nail bitter or overtime but win it.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP is all they have and we're good against the run. He'll try and he'll try, but I say we do stop him. Make their QB beat us.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well I hope next year our benchwarmer ist round pick rookie will be soo good that we can have a very very nice anchor in the middle of the Dline to help us deal with AP,,, I really do, we will face this guy 2 times a year for the next 10 years.

As of today I think we will find a way to contain him.. And we will find a way to win the game even in a nail bitter or overtime but win it.

AP for a fulltime runningback is actually not very big, i believe injuries will start to plague hiim if they play him as much as they did against the chargers very often. Granted he is a great running back with tremendous speed, but if he doesnt bulk up some i predict some injuries. Especially considering he is all they have going for them right now, so naturally he will probably become the workhorse.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters but he is 6' 1", 217 lbs. Thats not small.

For the game plan we have to do what Dallas did against him. 8 sometimes 9 in the box and make the QB pass.

So what if the QB hits a couple of WRs scattered throughout the game.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:

Well I hope next year our benchwarmer ist round pick rookie will be soo good that we can have a very very nice anchor in the middle of the Dline to help us deal with AP,,, I really do, we will face this guy 2 times a year for the next 10 years.

AP for a fulltime runningback is actually not very big, i believe injuries will start to plague hiim if they play him as much as they did against the chargers very often. Granted he is a great running back with tremendous speed, but if he doesnt bulk up some i predict some injuries. Especially considering he is all they have going for them right now, so naturally he will probably become the workhorse.

and he is majorly prone to injury. I'm not saying that will help us at all next weekend (I'm going to be at that game!), but if he gets the same workload as he did yesterday, he'll be hurt badly sooner rather than later. I like to call this "Cadillac Syndrome"

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Okay couple of notes on this AP kid..

Heck of a talent, no doubt, but look where he is doing most of the damage, it is over the left side of the line..

So points to "contain" the beast..

1. Force them to run to the right... overload the left side.
2. Since Collins will probably be out.. cheat Rouse up to the LOS on the right side.. his primary job is to let nothing.. I mean nothing outside of him.. make AP stay inside the hashs..
3. Play Pickett to the weakside of the field the bulk of the game..
4. Jolly has to, like Pickett.. chew up some blocks inside..
5. Cole needs to come to play next week.
6. Hawk should be the shadow of AP next week.. where AP goes Hawk should follow.

7. Keep the ball away from their offense, the past two weeks we have had long time consuming drives that kept their offense off the field and our D fresh.
8. Make him cut on the grass, this isn't turf and he isn't Barry Sanders.. slow him down by making him change directions.
9. Hit the kid hard a time or two.. no one has gotten a big lick on the kid yet.. introduce him to Bigby in a confined space.. make him think twice about hitting the hole full steam.
10. Barnett has to play a complete stout game with sure tackles.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre can get a few quick scores on them, make them have to pass to get back into the game. Just keep the pressure on them. Make them play the kind of game WE want them to have to play.
All they really have is Peterson........we stopped Barry Sanders in past years, we can stop this guy.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one more important thing to note.....Peterson hasnt had a 100 yard game on grass, i mean sure he looked all world in a dome in a cozy 70 degees, well see how he plays in the frozen tundra with 70,000 drunken lambeau faithful screaming for his head :)

With that being said, this is a great talent,he had 100 yards on us at halftime when we played the dome, but this aint the dome,

GO PACK GO

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with some of you? By no means do I want him to run over us, but if we are going to have an intelligent Football conversation about the kid lets get things straight.

1. He is big for a RB.

2. He went over 100 against KC in KC. Grass.

3. He ran for 224 against CHI in CHI. Grass.

4. He played college ball in Oklahoma. Grass.

I have never seen anything like him before. What we saw the first time was just a glimpse of the danger he possesses.

Lets just hope we plug our holes. A sure win could get ugly quickly. That said if we prevent him from getting into the end zone and we strike quickly we should win.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
What is with some of you? By no means do I want him to run over us, but if we are going to have an intelligent Football conversation about the kid lets get things straight.

1. He is big for a RB.

2. He went over 100 against KC in KC. Grass.

3. He ran for 224 against CHI in CHI. Grass.

4. He played college ball in Oklahoma. Grass.

I have never seen anything like him before. What we saw the first time was just a glimpse of the danger he possesses.

Lets just hope we plug our holes. A sure win could get ugly quickly. That said if we prevent him from getting into the end zone and we strike quickly we should win.

good coorection i was thinking those were at the dome..... i think well win though, they have no qb

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can GB stop Peterson? Yes. We did already this year.

He got 112 rush yards. That IS stopping him.

He's going to get his yards. We just have to make sure he doesn't go crazy like he did on the Bears and Chargers.

Make Tavaris or Holcomb beat us.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's going to get his yards. We just have to make sure he doesn't go crazy like he did on the Bears and Chargers.

he did have 112 in the first half, and fore some unknown reason they stopped handing it off to him in the second

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. As long as he isn't going hog wild and we do what we need to on offense then I think we win. Our defense allows somewhere around 15 pts a game and SD defense allows around 20-25 pts a game. While our defense doesn't have the "names" that SD does I think we are overall better.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Robin Yount said:

Ahhh yes we have, I mean Sanders was even more dynamic overall.. look at AP's runs.. he is a straight ahead runner with more power and speed than probably anyone to come along in a long time. But I watched a good portion of the Chicago game and KC game.. he doesn't move east and west much.. when I say make him cut, that is what I mean.. make him run a little east and west..

If the kid gets his shoulder turned upfield and get his legs under him.. he is going to have a field day... you are correct, he is a homerun hitter with the speed and power combination of only one that I have seen.. Bo Jackson pre injury..

Pack93z

Reaction score
i think the bo jackson comparison is very good, also reminds me of eric ****erson

Ahh but one major difference to me.. ****erson ran more upright and took a few big time shots.. Bo and AP KNOW TO GET LOW!

And when you hit Jackson.. he provided the impact moreso than the defender..

Can't let AP get a head of steam.. Look how far he drug Collins in the dome.

Maybe Chilly will get amnesia this week, forget about the big days and only give AP 12 carries again. That is if you call 10 ypc stopping him.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:

Ahhh yes we have, I mean Sanders was even more dynamic overall.. look at AP's runs.. he is a straight ahead runner with more power and speed than probably anyone to come along in a long time. But I watched a good portion of the Chicago game and KC game.. he doesn't move east and west much.. when I say make him cut, that is what I mean.. make him run a little east and west..

If the kid gets his shoulder turned upfield and get his legs under him.. he is going to have a field day... you are correct, he is a homerun hitter with the speed and power combination of only one that I have seen.. Bo Jackson pre injury..

I have the unfortunate problem of being in a Vikings TV coverage area so I get to view some of their games. He isn't completely straight ahead. The analysts have been describing his style as a one cut. He does one cut on one foot at full speed and cuts back a hole or two in the o-line. According to what they were saying it is actually much more effective than doing a Sanders style shake and cut and defenders have a very difficult time adjusting. Also, safeties are taken poor angles on him because they are surprised by his speed.

I'm tellin' a boys this guy is scary. But its hard not to be impressed. Much like other teams have to marvel and be impressed with Brett.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he can't be stop. He could easily run for 100 yards on any team in the NFL. He is that good. The Packers need to contain him. When I say contain I mean Green Bay will need to let his 100 yards come by small chunks. They need to have AP get it in 5,10, and 15 yard runs rather than 50 and 60 yard touchdown runs.

If the Pack do that it'll lead to the Vikings doing more punting and kicking field goals. The Vikings shouldn't be able to pass the ball on us so they'll give Peterson the bulk of the carries. Prevent the big play and GB should win the game baring any rare meltdowns.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts