Can the O-Line really get the job done ?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The offensive line is truly the core of the offence. It needs to provide pass protection and keep the QB from harm. They need to open the gaps for the running game to succeed. Repositioning the personal may or may not work. I have great faith in Coach McCarthy, yet I wonder if Newhouse can be part of the solution or will he again be the weak link. Are the 2s ready to step if needed. Should TT have his eyes open for a trade ?

It is easy to go with the crowd, not invite criticism, don't rock the boat, I realise the concern. If however a potential problem is simply stepped over, at some point it will cause a fall. I understand that high quality Tackles are hard to come by, and I hope the new scheme works out, but there should be a workable plan B. 52 sacks again this year could take a hard toll on our superstar QB. He cannot perform at his best lying on the turf. Also, RB's can't run through holes that aren't there.

I understand that this subject has been approached before, but I don't believe this directly. Please post your opinions, that is the purpose of this forum.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've invested first round picks in the left tackle position. They've now completely flipped the offensive line, which is a rare move in today's game. They are attacking the issue. The only stone left un-turned is to bring in a big name free agent at left tackle, which is a premium position and premium cost in the NFL. You surely would be trading off a contract extension to a guy like Clay Matthews or similar to bring in a top LT.

There is no doubt that we all want to see the offensive line problems solved, but I'd prefer to see how the O-line flip goes before throwing in the towel. They are trying to find the right solution. There is not one correct answer though

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs to stop holding the ball so long and his sacks will go down.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've invested first round picks in the left tackle position. They've now completely flipped the offensive line, which is a rare move in today's game. They are attacking the issue. The only stone left un-turned is to bring in a big name free agent at left tackle, which is a premium position and premium cost in the NFL. You surely would be trading off a contract extension to a guy like Clay Matthews or similar to bring in a top LT.

There is no doubt that we all want to see the offensive line problems solved, but I'd prefer to see how the O-line flip goes before throwing in the towel. They are trying to find the right solution. There is not one correct answer though

Huh? The Packers signed Matthews to a five year contract extension in April. And there is another thing they can do. Get a real OL coach.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money they gave Clay could be used for a LT

Don't forget the upcoming contracts for Raji, Shields, Jones, Jordy, Finley, etc. Signing a big-time LT is not the answer. We have plenty of talent on this team for the line to be good. I don't think it needs to be an elite group in order for the Packers to win it.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs to stop holding the ball so long and his sacks will go down.
Maybe. But why change the best QB in the game?? On many of the passing downs Rogers is rushed when the snap hits his hands, and his sacks would be much higher if he weren't able to scramble so well. I'm still looking for the stat that shows average time to Passer Being Pressured(or whatever you'd call it), but I'd bet the Packers would be near the bottom. I could be wrong...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe. But why change the best QB in the game?? On many of the passing downs Rogers is rushed when the snap hits his hands, and his sacks would be much higher if he weren't able to scramble so well. I'm still looking for the stat that shows average time to Passer Being Pressured(or whatever you'd call it), but I'd bet the Packers would be near the bottom. I could be wrong...

Why shouldn't he be asked to improve his flaws? Everyone else is asked to.

Last season on avg he held it over a second longer than Peyton manning.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The radical re-alignment of the OL of course isn’t guaranteed to work but its direct evidence McCarthy and staff were so concerned about the OL they weren’t going with the status quo. IMO it makes all kinds of sense to line up their best OT at LT and that’s what they’ve done – and that’s about all they could do since talk of Thompson acquiring a big name LT was/is never going to happen and Sherrod isn’t likely to be in the picture at LT anytime soon. I’m still not sure why they decided to flip the OGs too, but McCarthy decided to put his two best OL on Rodgers’ blind side. If Bulaga can adjust to LT, I suppose Sitton should be able to adjust to LG but like I said a successful adjustment is anything but guaranteed. But the OP would seem more apt to me if they were just going with the status quo. And plan B? I’ll bet that’s having the next man up fill in for whoever is struggling.

Can Newhouse be part of an improved OL at RT? IMO at the very least he’s less of a concern because of the switch to Rodgers’ ‘front side’. And he’ll get help from the TE more often. I would prefer Barclay or Bakhtiari win the spot in an honest competition because (1) if one of them does he will have been determined to be better and (2) I believe either has a bigger upside, and (3) I don’t think Newhouse has the attitude – he’s not mean enough. For example he struggles finishing run blocks.

And while I’m excited about the RBs, whoever wins the majority of PT better be able to pick up a blitz.

Rodgers does hold onto the ball too long but if he completely corrects that, he will be giving up those times when doing so results in a big play down field. And didn’t some publication determine that he was responsible for something like 10 of the 50+ sacks? If so, that’s still a ton of sacks allowed by the rest of the team. As a reminder the Packers blog story, “Newhouse’s switch from left to right tackle underway” quotes McGinn’s end of season stats regarding Newhouse who, “Allowed 41½ pressures and 14½ "bad" runs as first-year starter last year and 42½ and 13½ this year.” That’s 84 and 28 with no trend toward improvement: Yikes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my point, that using the money on a FA left tackle would make it hard to retain our stars. Had we signed someone big in free agency, it might have made the Packers choose between Rodgers and Matthews contracts. Who knows.
And there is another thing they can do. Get a real OL coach.
Touche. I agree that the talent is there so the coach may be the issue. I loved Campen as a player. As a fan I can't see his direct impact on the O-line but it's an issue worth investigating.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article. What the stats don't show is how quickly after the snap the QB is avoiding pressure, thereby buying time. You can be sure the team knows, which I suspect was the reason for the shuffling of the line. And it's interesting that 51% think the primary problem is on the o-line, 20% on MM, and 17% blame Rogers. I'll go along with the 0-line until numbers prove otherwise.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I have heard good things about David Bakhtiari (R) from Colorado. He is a 6-4 , 3oolb. RT and is getting noticed. He may be the bright new challenger. Packers.com has a short on him that deserves a look. :tup:

H

HardRightEdge

Newhouse will be benched if he does not improve over last season. There are available options.

RT is no reprieve. Many defenses move their stud pass rushers around to exploit weak links. Besides, he's not been a very good run blocker, a look you don't want on the strong side.

H

HardRightEdge

Why shouldn't he be asked to improve his flaws? Everyone else is asked to.

Last season on avg he held it over a second longer than Peyton manning.

It's not a flaw so much as a characteristic. He's a gunslinger with the heretofore unfamiliar bonus of throwing few picks. Let Rodgers be Rodgers. Asking him to adapt to less than impressive pass protection is capitulation to some dubious statistical abstraction. If you like scrambling down field TDs, you have to accept some additional sacks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a flaw so much as a characteristic. He's a gunslinger with the heretofore unfamiliar bonus of throwing few picks. Let Rodgers be Rodgers. Asking him to adapt to less than impressive pass protection is capitulation to some dubious statistical abstraction.

Gunslinger means risky passes. That's not Rodgers by a long shot.

It's too much to ask the highest paid player to bring his release time to the median? Hmmm

Members online

Latest posts