Can someone explain this to me?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the play did not originate inside the five yard line, the Line Judge and Head Linesmen are in their usual position on the line of scrimmage. Thee Side Judge and Field Judge. have the goal line (if it originated at 5 or in...they would have been at the back of the end zone corners at the end line and sideline). The Back Judge has the whole end line. It is one of these grey areas of which official has responsibility. Since the Field Judge has goal line responsibility, he isn't looking into the field of the play when Driver passes him. He probably should have seen it, but you are usually slow when you are turning around behind you to see the receiver. The Back Judge won't pick up on Driver until the ball is thrown, so it wasn't his responsibility. It was the Field Judge's responsibility...he missed it, but he made a great call on the sideline call and catch.

He would have caught it had he been in the end line position, but I'm glad he wasn't because if he was...he might have ruled that Driver had stepped out and then became the first to touch the ball after being out of bounds (It was inconclusive from the video, they wouldn't have overturned the on field call). Only the Back Judge could see if Donald stepped out or not from 20 yards away, rather than Field Judge from 5 yards away. Off setting penalties...no TD. So I'm just glad that the FJ was in correct position to make a great call and not in position to rule on illegal touching!

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not step out of bounds though. It was close. I thought he did initially. Replay confirmed he did not.

I don't think you can confirm anything on that replay. From the angle...there is no view down the end line. Had they called illegal touching, I bet you they don't overturn. Not enough visual evidence. Especially with Triplette, who doesn't overturn often.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think he was in. Everything I saw he was in, but the standard probably would have stood, not to mention the way Triplette was ruling on the reviews...wouldn't have liked our chances.

Nonetheless...Pack won, that's all that matters. :D

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No he wasn't... Plus he was straight lined. Can't call it....You always ***** about officiating. Stop.

Excuse me? Who the hell are you? I never ***** about officiating... I made it clear in my first post I was asking a question about the rules.. if you don't like discussions on a discussion board, then stay the F out.. The ref clearly looked right at the push, then looked back towards Rodgers, then looked back as Driver caught it.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
(Donald Driver??) Put da team on his back doo. It's good to see the man have a great game and make key plays still. Gotta love that smile.

Reaction score
You want an explaination?

Here's yo' explaination homie...
Donald Driver. don't. give. a. F***.... (walks away from laptop, rockin' some serious Green N Gold Swag) :cool: