Can Flynn help the seahawks....your thoughts

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have seen this discussion on several different boards/forums.

My thoughts:

Can he help them? Yes and No. In the film room he can help them, he can point things out and help them to devise a better idea of what's about to happen on certain downs and distances.

No: Just because you might know what's coming, does not always mean you can stop it. Plus, by the time the formation happens, the defense gets set, the play is already happening...and those helmet microphones are cut off when the offense lines up over the ball. So even if he knows what's about to happen, he can't call it in to the defensive captain, then have the captain call out and make the changes. The game happens to fast for that process to occur.

Now, if Flynn was the starting QB, that might be a different story. Since he practiced against our D and knows tendancies, he would have an edge. I think that it is a good thing that Wilson is the starter. He is young, has not seen a variety of NFL caliber defensive looks, and he might get rattled if he gets knocked around or picked.

your thoughts??

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hmmm.....interesting. I can respect Vic ketchman for his long career, but he does not know what he is talking about more than half the time. I know he makes "predictions", but the weather man is correct more than Vic is..lol

Audibles (the verbage) change from year to year. They might have said "blue blue 19" for a noticable mismatch on a single coverage on our #1 WR last year (example only)....but this year, that same look might have a completely different verbage to it. This keeps teams with crafty veterans from learning what is coming from year to year. Can't keep all the secret codes the same or the enemy will ambush the crap out of you. Simple tactics like that is what I am speaking of when it comes to Vic, he should know these things, yet does not display that he does.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not like you can't learn the other things from tape. The only thing I would be worried about are some of the plays we keep tucked away getting leaked, but even then, we're unlikely to use them outside of the playoffs and it'd be near impossible to figure out one of those plays from base formation/personnel.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yeah, he may know the plays, but an NFL offensive playbook can contain anywhere from 400-700 plays....lol...they would be lucky to see 50-60 of those, some of which will be repeats. Doubtful he can help that much IMO.

Reaction score
He can help all he want. Rodgers has said in the past that they change their main calls and symbols at the line of scrimmage every 3 or 4 weeks to keep them fresh and so that other teams won't pick up on them. Flynn wouldn't be able to know what the Packers were calling themselves, let alone the Seahawks defense.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Is this a serious question?:eek:

Matt Flynn can help ANYONE. At ANY time.

Matt Flynn IS the NFL. Why do you think the 49ers won week 1? Because Matt Flynn developed the game plan FOR Jim Harbaugh.

(I miss Matt Flynn talk:oops:)

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I think the Seahawks have Matt Flynns wife hostage. How else can you explain him not starting and the entire Seahawk staff still breathing?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This is what scares me. Clay Matthews destroys Wilson. Then Matt Flynn comes in and does what Matt Flynn does and then casually tosses several TDs and wins the game.

Then after the game the entire Seahawks team hoists Flynn up in the air and chants his name over and over again and instead of Flynn on the back of his jersey they put GOAT there instead. And after GOAT is on the back of his jersey for a few games we see a public protest by Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to have it removed since they are supposed to be the GOAT. And then Finley's agent comes out and agrees that Matt Flynn is a better leader then Aaron Rodgers and the Packers made a huge mistake letting him go since no doubt Flynn's passes would not be dropped by Finley per agent.

It could be a huge mess and we don't see it coming.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Hey, the mark of a good team is when the other team KNOWS what you're going do, but still can't stop you. I'm sure the 'hawks have picked his brain but if the Pack properly execute their offense the impact should be minimal.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This is what scares me. Clay Matthews destroys Wilson. Then Matt Flynn comes in and does what Matt Flynn does and then casually tosses several TDs and wins the game.

Then after the game the entire Seahawks team hoists Flynn up in the air and chants his name over and over again and instead of Flynn on the back of his jersey they put GOAT there instead. And after GOAT is on the back of his jersey for a few games we see a public protest by Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to have it removed since they are supposed to be the GOAT. And then Finley's agent comes out and agrees that Matt Flynn is a better leader then Aaron Rodgers and the Packers made a huge mistake letting him go since no doubt Flynn's passes would not be dropped by Finley per agent.

It could be a huge mess and we don't see it coming.

Sassy... very sassy. :) Shee--sus :)

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Highly unlikely. I believe we switched offensive coordinators this offseason, and I believe Tom Clements? will do things differently than Phiblim (sp?) Even if Flynn does pass on some information, the second it becomes debunked, the belief is gone. The most Flynn can do to help the Seahawks to win is play, Which I can see him doing, even for a trick play, thinking Carol likes characters that have drive to play.

Members online

Latest posts