Camping by lake excites Rams

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By DON WALKER
[email protected]
Posted: June 18, 2008

Jeff Horton, the former quarterbacks coach under Barry Alvarez at the University of Wisconsin, knows Wisconsin and football.

And that’s why Horton, who is a special assistant to St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan, is excited about the team conducting training camp at Concordia University Wisconsin in Mequon beginning July 24.

“We went to a lot of different places,” Horton said Wednesday. “This was the best place, and part of the reason is the kind of football fans you have here. We know about the (Green Bay) Packers’ following, but this is a good football place.”

Horton was in Milwaukee on Wednesday to go over final preparations for the Rams’ visit.

“I don’t think we can find a better environment for living and practicing than what we have at Concordia,” Horton said. “It’s a spectacular place, great facilities, great people. Our goal is to be a world champion, and the environment there will enable us to achieve those goals.”

Last summer, the Rams conducted camp in the St. Louis area. The heat became so intense at times that at least eight practices had to be held indoors. Horton said he didn’t expect that to be the case along Lake Michigan.

“When we come off the bus, I know several players will want to know what ocean is out there,” Horton said. “I know we have guys from California and Hawaii who are excited about it.”

Horton said details were still being worked out, but added that Linehan wants to keep practices open to the public.

“We hope fans turn out in droves,” he said. “We know we are Wisconsin’s second-favorite team, and we are looking forward to having a ton of people and that’s why he wants to keep it open.”

Latest posts