Cam Newton (QB, Auburn)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtIkMMW5TU4]YouTube - Cam Newton Highlights[/ame]

Cam Newton is a talented athlete from Westlake High School in Atlanta, Georgia. After finishing up high school, he went on to play football for the Florida Gators, as he would eventually backup Tim Tebow as a true freshman. After injuring his ankle against Hawaii, he would apply for a medical redshirt so that he didn’t lose a year of eligibility.

Is Newton a first-round lock?
In late November of 2008, Newton was arrested after being accused of burglary, obstruction, and larceny because of a stolen laptop that he allegedly purchased from another student on the Florida campus. After being suspended from the team, Newton withdrew from Florida and made his way to a Junior College.

Newton transferred to Blinn College, which is a small school in Texas. Playing quarterback, Newton led Blinn College fo a NJCAA National Football Championship. Blinn beat #1 ranked Fort Scott Community College by a score of 31-26. Newton didn’t have the greatest game, completing just 11 of 25 passes for 111 yards and an interception. He did rush for a touchdown, however.

After the National Championship victory, Newton was recruited by Mississippi State and Auburn University, eventually selecting the Auburn Tigers to continue his college career.

In 2010, Newton has tallied up 49 total touchdowns (28 pass, 20 rush, 1 reception). He’s thrown for 2,589 yards, and rushed for another 1,409 on the ground. He has an astonishing 10.5 yards per pass attempt, and has thrown just six interceptions on the season, while also completing 67.1% of his passes.

Did I mention that he punts too? Ok, not really. He did do a pooch punt one time, however.

NCAA allegations aside, Newton has put up one of the best single season performances in NCAA history. The next stop is the NFL Draft, as he doesn’t really have much else to prove at Auburn.

Player Name: Cam Newton

Position: Quarterback

School: Auburn

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 250

Strengths

One of Newton’s best weapons is his feet. Newton makes plays on the ground and makes it look easy. A 6’6 250-pound frame makes it look like he’s jogging out there, when he’s actually running a 4.45-4.50 second forty yard dash.

He can break tackles, he doesn’t run out of bounds, and isn’t afraid to take a shot and fight for extra yardage. He’s a very tough player overall, and while he doesn’t seem to have the greatest intangibles, he has all of the physical aspects needed to succeed at the next level.

But it’s not just his feet that make plays. In fact, he may be a better passer than a scrambler. It’s a misconception that scrambling quarterbacks aren’t accurate, or can’t throw. It’s like the misconception that all strong armed quarterbacks are inaccurate.

Newton has a very strong arm, and can make all of the throws at the next level. His accuracy is surprisingly nice as well. He can float the ball right over a defender, he can zip it in a small window, and he can lead his receivers if he wants to. He doesn’t throw perfect passes every time, but who does?

Weaknesses

No matter how great a prospect is, he will have weaknesses. Newton’s main weaknesses still do come in the passing game. There are times when he doesn’t seem to set his feet to throw. Often too confident in his arm, he will make an unbalanced throw off of his back foot.

I want to see him improve on his three-step and five-step drops when coming out directly under center. He plays a lot of shotgun right now, but that’s not going to happen in the NFL. This was something that many teams faulted Tim Tebow for in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Newton’s decision making could be improved at times as well. This is another confidence issue in some occasions. When you have such a strong arm, you believe you can put the ball anywhere on the field. In the NFL, that doesn’t happen often when throwing down field. Cornerbacks are just as fast as the wide receivers, and will be able to keep up with them. You won’t see many wide open receivers in the NFL.

Newton needs to learn to set his feet more, and make a good form throw. His ability to scramble makes this hard to do, because he’ll sometimes get “happy feet” where he just wants to take off and run with the football. He’ll need to learn a bit more patience at the next level.

His intangibles are a bit of a mystery. While he’s clearly a leader on the Auburn team, and seemingly has a solid playing attitude, we don’t know all that much about him. One will question if he actually cheated in Florida, and if he knew the laptop was stolen. People are also going to be quick to take sides on whether or not to believe whether he knew he dad was involving him in a pay to play situation as well.

There are a lot of mysteries there, and that’s something that teams will figure out in NFL Combine interviews.

Obviously character concerns are going to present a huge issue, and will be a reason that a few teams, specifically the Colts, Browns, Jaguars, and Chiefs most likely steer clear from Newton. Any time a major incident is brought upon a player, whether he’s innocent or not, can sometimes be a big negative.

Draft Range

Right now, there’s no doubt in my mind that Cam Newton is a surefire first round pick. Not only based on his ability, but based on the history of the NFL. Vince Young was heavily criticized for having just above average arm strength, and poor accuracy and was drafted #3 overall in 2006. Tim Tebow was heavily criticized for his throwing motion and poor footwork, as well as playing in the shotgun. He was taken in the late part of the first round in 2010. Newton actually can throw the ball, and throw it well. Add in the fact that he can run also, and you get a fantastic pro prospect.

Depending on the team, Newton could surpass Andrew Luck as the #1 quarterback in the 2011 NFL Draft class, but it’s all about preference. If a team like the Vikings were to move up and obtain the #1 pick, I think they’d take a chance on Newton instead of Luck.

Newton could go as high as number one overall, and drop as low as pick #20, in my view. His physical talent alone will get him drafted in the Top 15 for sure.

Five Teams Who Want Him

There will be a few teams that will look at Newton very heavily. I think the Vikings, will study Cam Newton the most out of every team in the NFL. Teams like San Francisco, Miami, Cincinnati, and Tennessee are the organizations that will be studying Newton thoroughly in the off-season.

Minnesota almost seems like a lock to find a new quarterback. Tavaris Jackson isn’t bad, but his value seems to be as a very solid backup quarterback, and not much more. Depending on whether or not Leslie Frazier will full take over head coaching duties, or if the Vikings will look elsewhere for a head coach will also play a factor. This, finally, seems to be the end of Brett Favre’s career.

Miami seems to like Chad Henne, but he’s a sporadic quarterback, and they have too much offensive talent that isn’t being utilized. Newton being a part of a Ronnie Brown wildcat would be very scary for opposing teams.

Cincinnati would be smart to start looking elsewhere for a quarterback as Carson Palmer is aging, and has been a big reason for the lack of success in Cincinnati. Of course the defense needs a lot of work also, but it may be best to get the future started with Newton.

The 49ers are a big time candidate. The Alex Smith era seems to be over after the poor outings in 2010, and Troy Smith is only a mediocre replacement. Newton has the arm to get the ball down field to Crabtree, and would find a way to get Vernon Davis the ball.

Tennessee has Vince Young, but with the attitude of Young, and issues with Young and Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Tennessee could go in a different route. Young will only be on contract with the Titans through 2011. Newton could sit for a season, and learn under Kerry Collins and Vince Young.

NFL Player Comparison: Ben Roethlisberger

Via: 2011 NFL Draft Player Profile | Cam Newton |

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm just not sold on Newton. I think he's got character issues, I think he ran an offense at Auburn that I'm not sure translates to the NFL, and I see a lot of Vince Young in him right now who I'd have to consider a bust at this point.

Kiper has him going #3 to Buffalo, I just don't see it. I look at Blaine Gabbert and I see someone who's more NFL ready than Newton. I'm not saying I don't think Newton's good, I think he could be very good, but when you're picking at #3 I don't think you can take someone on upside. I think you have to take the guy who's more ready now.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let the dumb Vikings draft him and then let Clay ruin his career. I can't stand the guy and he has bust written all over him. Let the poor QB-deprived teams drool over him and the other QBs and let us have better players to pick from at #32.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To many teams expect any guy to come from college and step into a starting role. That is the worst things for any team to do. Give each rookie QB AT LEAST one year to sit on the bench.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say all the teams who want a QB should take one in the first round... Gabbert, Newton, Locker, & Mallett so that the Packers have more non-QB's to choose from. Mainly OLB and OT.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabbert isn't the definition of pro ready either. Both Auburn and Missouri ran the spread offense, although different styles, and they both consisted on almost no pro reads. Missouri runs the slip screens and short passes a lot and Cam Newton uses the option read play action pass too much as well. Newton did take a few snaps under center which I don't recall Gabbert ever taking snaps under center. I've seen Gabbert play more and I honestly I would say he is more a high upside project like Newton.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Newton at all.

Having to live in south Alabama this last year, I had to hear his name in my office for months, had to print his picture in the newspaper, and even the writers in the press were not sold on him.

Thing is, the kid has a god complex. He already had this Kenny Powers attitude before the BCS game.
I guess anyone would have the attitude too if they got away with what he got away with, including the incident in Florida.

All I've been hearing about lately is how he thinks he is some God, and has not even been drafted yet. With the ego and mindset he has that he is "the best thing walking the Earth" and just loves the media, he is bound to fail. Remember the BCS Championship? He didn't have much pocket awareness getting sacked, and if it wasn't for the blown call, he would have had 3 interceptions in that game.
(My honest opinion, that game was ******* rigged, just like the Heisman trophy was. They didn't want another Reggie Bush, but they pampered this kid)

Let a team draft him and sign a big fat contract similar to Alex Smith and JaMarcuss Russell and watch him fail. With the ego he has, he is bound and determined to fail, as he has already made an *** of himself. But failing don't matter, he will get rich in the NFL, just like he did in college. But the NFL isn't the SEC. Defense WILL get to him. 3-4 blitzes don't mean he can run around like Steve Young.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the QB class this year terrible?

It's not just you. I noticed the same thing. I wouldn't be totally surprised if none of the highly regarded QB's in this draft pan out.

Luck would've helped the perception of this class a lot.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I feel about this draft class, every QB has something wrong with him. Now, it doesn't mean they'll be bad, that they'll bust, but there isn't a clear cut franchise signal caller.

Mallet has mechanics and decision making problems.
Newton has played only in a spread offense, and doesn't know how to make reads. Has also character problems.
Locker has HUGE accuracy issues, and wasn't a winner on college.
Gabbert has also accuracy issues, only played in a spread offense, and has decision making problems.
Ponder doesn't have a big arm, dosn't have elite mobility and never impressed at the college level.

The guy that looks to me more like a franchise QB is actually Ponder, he was highly recruited out of high school, has good accuracy, good mechanics, is mobile to an extent, and has good knowledge of the game. But the fact that he never impressed in college is troublesome. He may not be a "leader of man", and never came up big when needed.

Now, about Cam Newton. Not too high, not too low. He's not a dumb kid. He's not gonna pull a Vince Young. He was clearly a leader in college, and that does translates to the NFL. The best comparison to me it's Ben Roethlisberger, in every aspect. He looks like an *******, all reports are that he is, indeed, an *******, but he's a winner, he is a leader that takes responsability to himself and that teammates look up to. He's huge, like Ben, has some accuracy issues, but is accurate enough, and will be accurate in the pros. Throwing-wise, he's comparable to Ben in strenght and accuracy.

The question with Newton is learning skills and decision making. He was able to learn Auburn's offense in a short period of time and make the best of it. But the schemes in the pros are much more complex. Will he able to learn them, and excel in them? Not only that, the mechanics are completely different. He didn't play in timing offenses, he didn't have to look out a safety. The mental aspect of quarterbacking is 80% in the NFL, as opposed to 25, 30% in college. Is he able to fully grasp it? And if so, is he a guy that will show up before everybody and leave after everybody? Is he as committed as Aaron Rodgers and Payton Manning?

I'm going to guess and predict here. I don't think Newton will ever be an elite QB, I don't see the mental makeup that Rodgers, Manning and the others have, and athleticsm won't make you elite in the NFL.
However, I do think that he has good enough work ethic, kind of like Big Ben in his "early years" (assuming that he has indeed changed). He's not fond of making dumb mistakes, he's a competitor, he's a leader.

I do, however, think it will take him 1 or 2 seasons to be able to start.

I see him in a similar light that I saw Tebow. A guy that will be able to lead his team to wins, will be a franchise QB, but never an elite, all time QB. But they're projects. The difference between the two is that Tebow has all the leadership skills and mobility that Newton does, but his mechanichs are terrible, and doesn't have as good of an arm, both in terms of accuracy and power. However, Tebow will outwork everybody, will dominate the playbook, will be great at decision making (will have a great td/int ratio) and, with his mobility, will compensate for the throws he can't make.

Probabilities are I'm gonna be incredibly wrong, and this post will be used to make fun of me, but I do think that, 3 to 4 years from now, both Cam and Tim will be top 15-top 10 qbs in the league, if they are in the right system.

Tebow can't be put in a west coast system, that will never work. But he can be featured in a similar system as Vick (no, Philadelphia doesn't run a pure west coast system. And with Vick, they've shifted their playbook even more to incorporate option plays, easier reads (half field) and more vertical passing game).

Newton I believe is more "scheme-friendly" (though his short accuracy isn't great, and has never worked on any system other than the spread). But I doubt that he can fully master an offense, let alone fully master his offense and understand all the defenses in the league (which is what Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, et all, are able to do, and which separates them from the rest).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how do people feel about Scott Tolzien? Im a badger fan and think he is going to be a solid #2 back up with potential to do just enough to not lose a game. But since I am a badger fan I worry I might be overly praising him.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
how do people feel about Scott Tolzien? Im a badger fan and think he is going to be a solid #2 back up with potential to do just enough to not lose a game. But since I am a badger fan I worry I might be overly praising him.

I like his accuracy a lot.

I think his ceiling is about what you said, a real solid #2 that you can count on for a game or two if you have to. I'm not totally sure he can be a full-time starter.

If we were to hypothetically trade Flynn, I'd be real happy taking Tolzien in the mid-to-late rounds to replace him.

But, full disclosure, I'm also a Badgers fan. Though that doesn't normally cloud my judgement. I'll tell anybody I think John Clay's going to be a terrible NFL running back.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, full disclosure, I'm also a Badgers fan. Though that doesn't normally cloud my judgement. I'll tell anybody I think John Clay's going to be a terrible NFL running back.

If he didnt drop a bunch of weight he could have been a very useful fullback.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the QB class this year terrible?

I think you're right, I don't see any Sam Bradford's, this year, or any one else with class.

Jake Lockler I don't know about
Ryan Mallett needs time on the bench to learn
Cam Newton is a bust guaranteed.