Bye Week Adjustments and or Changes

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
from the dredded ask vic colum:

Michael from Rockford, MI

All I really want is Cobb to play special teams again.

If he wasn’t a kick returner, would the Packers have drafted him where they did? He’s playing through an arm injury he sustained in training camp, so that might have something to do with not having him return kicks right now. When he’s healthy, I’m in the camp that favors him being used in the return game. In my opinion, that’s a big part of his allure as a player. It’s what he does.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Will Ross survive?

Do they have the stones to let Lovat go finally after the 8th hamstring injury of the season?

Will they lose this week 17 with home field advantage, soft, lets be safe and precautious attitude?

Will Burnett finally be allowed to participate in a game going forward?

What will the new secondary look like with Burnett and hopefully Casey back? Will Tramon be seeing more time on the bench?

Now that Franklin has shown the "lightening" will it alter the running game plan?

Will they address the awful blocking and decision making of EDS? More times that no he is standing around or giving help to a guy who doesn't need help. Figure out the line calls already!!!

Will Aaron relax a little bit and remember that this is supposed to be somewhat fun?

Will MM admit some of his missteps or will he continue onward with his blind faith/arrogance/stubborness/
Apparently not

God I hope so. They can claim bad luck all they want, but eventually somebody has to get scapegoated and fired. At least we stop complaining about it for a year or two then.

I don't understand the question but I take offense to it none the less. We are not soft, and if anything we need to be more cautious.

Going back to the last question, I hope he FINALLY gets to sit out of practice a few days to freakin recover.

The second part of this question is absolutely ignorant IMO. Tramon will continue to start, and with Casey back the only time he'll see the slot is when we go dime.

Possibly. We may be able to reinstate a few Harris/Green plays. I still expect Lacy to get the bulk of the carries though, so probably not that much.

I don't even know what we can do to fix the C position at the moment. I don't see anyone decent on the market, and EDS is the best we got. Have Rodgers make the line calls, and have Barclay and Taylor practice snapping all week.

Hopefully

While that question is fair, that assessment of MM is not. How many of those missteps are actually MM's? Rodgers has the authority to change anything MM calls at the LOS. Obviously MM saw something in certain players that caused him to take faith in them. This is the freaking NFL, faith in players is never unfounded, only unproven. As for his playcalling, plays work when players execute them. MM has a few bonehead plays (like the FB draw) that need to be ripped out of the playbook, is at times slow to adjust, and has been known take his foot off the gas too soon, but that man is still one of the better playcallers in this league, make no bones about it. As far as arrogance goes, you could say the same thing about Rodgers. All of the great ones have a streak of that in them. Let's see through the red and think with cooler heads. Give me the name of the coach you want to hire to take over for MM if you were to replace him. Who on our staff should take the playcalling if you were to take it from MM?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I expect us to get healthy again, to work on our coverage, and to work the middle of the field more. I expect team chemistry on offense to improve, and communication on defense to improve. I expect slow development, and our backs to get a bit more familiar with our blocking. I expect rust in the Lions game.

OP
OP
7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon wasn't starting yesterday. House and Shields were the corners with Tramon in the slot. With Heyward back I think its a legitimate question. He has fallen out of favor due to his poor coverage skills.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Tramon wasn't starting yesterday. House and Shields were the corners with Tramon in the slot. With Heyward back I think its a legitimate question. He has fallen out of favor due to his poor coverage skills.
You are mistaken. Williams only shifted to the slot in Nickel a la Woodson. House did not "start." Granted we "started" in Nickel.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I expect us to get healthy again, to work on our coverage, and to work the middle of the field more. I expect team chemistry on offense to improve, and communication on defense to improve. I expect slow development, and our backs to get a bit more familiar with our blocking. I expect rust in the Lions game.
I said I expected improvement. I didn't say I expected a lot of it. :D

OP
OP
7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't want MM replaced. I just want him to stop being so stubborn. I think he crosses the line of confidence into being stubborn with some of his calls. He doesn't seem to scrap the stuff that doesn't work like the Quarless bootleg 3 yard pass. Putting ross in on that play that pissed off Rodgers was kind of stupid too.

D

Dan115

McCarthy said. “Let’s be honest, to worry about the race Week 3, I think that’s wasted focus. We’re really focusing on the things we need to do better to win games. I am sticking with McCarthy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I also don't want MM replaced. I just want him to stop being so stubborn. I think he crosses the line of confidence into being stubborn with some of his calls. He doesn't seem to scrap the stuff that doesn't work like the Quarless bootleg 3 yard pass. Putting ross in on that play that pissed off Rodgers was kind of stupid too.
In all fairness, it might have worked if it were someone like Bostick instead of Quarless.

12theTruth

from the dredded ask vic colum:

Michael from Rockford, MI

All I really want is Cobb to play special teams again.

If he wasn’t a kick returner, would the Packers have drafted him where they did? He’s playing through an arm injury he sustained in training camp, so that might have something to do with not having him return kicks right now. When he’s healthy, I’m in the camp that favors him being used in the return game. In my opinion, that’s a big part of his allure as a player. It’s what he does.

It's captain obvious Vic Ketchman :rolleyes:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You know what the bye week is a perfect opportunity to do? Work out FA Centers. Bring in Jason Spitz and possibly some CFL/AFL guys. Just do it. We're a Nike league now.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sky isn't falling in, but the loss to the Bengals puts a lot of pressure on the Packers to win the next couple of games. Beating the Lions at home is a must and after that comes the Ravens. If the Packers go 1 and 1, the playoffs are in doubt.

Reading McGinn's analysis surprised me a bit. He gave pretty good marks to the OL, but that's because he was focusing mainly on the run game. The run blocking is better, but the pass blocking took a serious step backwards, especially our tackles.

I don't know what happened to Rodgers on Sunday, but going deep too many times rather than going short over the middle is a tendency of his in the past, and he did it again on Sunday.

I don't foresee any serious changes coming, although I do wonder who's going to field kicks now that Ross is gone.

As much as I admire MM as a coach overall, his insistence on calling he plays is one of the reasons why I feel that this offense has been held back. I really, really wish the Packers would invest in a top OC who would take over that job, because McCarthy has proven to be less than brilliant at it, and that's an understatement. I cannot remember the last time when I said, "wow, what a brilliant call that was!"

Other disappointments to me from Sunday were Perry, Neal and Datone Jones. These guys were supposed to give us some serious pass rush opposite Clay. Other than that nice blocked extra-point, what has Datone done? Perry and Neal were pretty invisible from what I could tell. If just one of them would step up.

12theTruth

McCarthy said. “Let’s be honest, to worry about the race Week 3, I think that’s wasted focus. We’re really focusing on the things we need to do better to win games. I am sticking with McCarthy.

The first real step towards improvement is to take an honest look within yourself to build and grow. I don't see Mike M. doing this. I see him overall as a good leader of men but to wholly contradict himself as he did regarding a particular play call as he did from his responses one day to the next tell me that his stubbornness is and will continue to be his downfall in key moments.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that McCarthy, Rodgers, the receiving corps, and the RBs...baically the offense as a whole should take the week to look at Broncos film. They ran some AMAZING plays, smart and well executed. Granted they were playing the Raiders, they still looked great.

I mention looking at Broncos film because clearly the Bengals knew what we were doing. They swatted tons of passes and picked off 2. If they can figure it out, so can the rest of out opponents. We need to change our passing strategy AND emphasize the run. Clearly our O-line can run block, as Starks and Franklin both went over 100 yards and I am sure Lacy can and will too (I bet he would have had he not been concussed.)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sky isn't falling in, but the loss to the Bengals puts a lot of pressure on the Packers to win the next couple of games. Beating the Lions at home is a must and after that comes the Ravens. If the Packers go 1 and 1, the playoffs are in doubt.

Reading McGinn's analysis surprised me a bit. He gave pretty good marks to the OL, but that's because he was focusing mainly on the run game. The run blocking is better, but the pass blocking took a serious step backwards, especially our tackles.

I don't know what happened to Rodgers on Sunday, but going deep too many times rather than going short over the middle is a tendency of his in the past, and he did it again on Sunday.

I don't foresee any serious changes coming, although I do wonder who's going to field kicks now that Ross is gone.

As much as I admire MM as a coach overall, his insistence on calling he plays is one of the reasons why I feel that this offense has been held back. I really, really wish the Packers would invest in a top OC who would take over that job, because McCarthy has proven to be less than brilliant at it, and that's an understatement. I cannot remember the last time when I said, "wow, what a brilliant call that was!"

Other disappointments to me from Sunday were Perry, Neal and Datone Jones. These guys were supposed to give us some serious pass rush opposite Clay. Other than that nice blocked extra-point, what has Datone done? Perry and Neal were pretty invisible from what I could tell. If just one of them would step up.

To be fair, Jones was in the game for only ten plays and he got a sack and Neal is still learning a new position. Perry has been the biggest disappointment to me on this defense. He's had 82 pass rushes over three games and he's collected a grand total of 4 hurries and no sacks or hits.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Jones was in the game for only ten plays and he got a sack and Neal is still learning a new position. Perry has been the biggest disappointment to me on this defense. He's had 82 pass rushes over three games and he's collected a grand total of 4 hurries and no sacks or hits.

/agreed. Datone I'm definitely cutting some slack for. He wasn't put in a position to do much damage in the first two games, and this past game he did make some noise. Agree also on Neal. I'm not giving up on Perry. SOmeone else posted the fact that he's been used primarily to set the edge and stop the run, which he done well enough. It's his pass rush that's lacking. It may take a good 2-3 seasons before he becomes a decent pass rusher.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't given up on Perry either, just thought he'd show a little more in his second year. I still remember that Football Outsiders tabbed him as the best pass rusher coming out of college last year (although they did assume he would be playing defensive end in the NFL).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what is this ^^. Is this a positive spin?

The Packers made the 49ers look like a super bowl contender... Since that point the 49ers have been outscored 56-10.... There only win is against a team that is now 0-3 while playing them at home, with maybe the worst defensive backfield in the NFL.

The Packers just are not very good right now. There are a lot of negatives to be seen. Living blindly to that doesn't make you a "better" fan. Just one content with mediocrity.
Packers are not very good? I'm not sure you watched the 9ers game. Kaep was brilliant. He was extremely sharp in his decisions. EVERY pass was near perfect. A perfect pass coupled with a good route is nearly impossible to defend. The other team is comprised of amazing athletes who want to win also.

Positives
  • Suddenly we have a running game. A drought of 44 games of no 100 yard rushers, now we have 2 back to back
  • Franklin looked very impressive; elusive and quick
  • Bach: For a guy with 3 NFL starts under his belt coming from a horrible college team, he is playing amazing. He is a big improvement over Clifton in the run game already.
  • Jolly is providing a tremendous boost
  • Our defensive line is looking the best it has been in many years
  • We have a pile of young and talented CBs
  • Our defensive backfield captain has been out and is set to return soon
  • Cosby ain't missed yet
  • Jordy Nelson appears to have turned it up yet another notch
  • Finley is off to a great start
  • Matthews has several potential compliments at the other OLB that are learning the position and improving each week - already an improvement over last season with potential to be impactful
  • Hawk and Jones are both playing better
  • A HOF QB at the zenith of his career
  • An OLB that is amazing

Negatives
  • We are 1-2
  • Our OL depth sucks
  • We have nobody right now to return kicks

You tell me. Is this a terrible team that will go 5-11? Or is 3 games a very small sample size to determine the quality of a football team?

There are far more positives to look at than negatives. Is there, or is there not, a lot of talent on this team and the potential to dominate? This team right now, IMHO, is the most talented team the Packers have fielded in the TT era. Better than the one that won the Superbowl in 2010. A team, by the way, that started out 3-3.

Last edited:

12theTruth

Packers are not very good? I'm not sure you watched the 9ers game. Kaep was brilliant. He was extremely sharp in his decisions. EVERY pass was near perfect. A perfect pass coupled with a good route is nearly impossible to defend. The other team is comprised of amazing athletes who want to win also.

Positives
  • Suddenly we have a running game. A drought of 44 games of no 100 yard rushers, now we have 2 back to back
  • Bach: For a guy with 3 NFL starts under his belt coming from a horrible college team, he is playing amazing. He is a big improvement over Clifton in the run game already.
  • Cosby ain't missed yet
  • Matthews has several potential compliments at the other OLB that are learning the position and improving each week - already an improvement over last season with potential to be impactful
  • An OLB that is amazing

Negatives
  • We are 1-2
  • Our OL depth sucks

You tell me. Is this a terrible team that will go 5-11? Or is 3 games a very small sample size to determine the quality of a football team?

There are far more positives to look at than negatives. Is there, or is there not, a lot of talent on this team and the potential to dominate? This team right now, IMHO, is the most talented team the Packers have fielded in the TT era. Better than the one that won the Superbowl in 2010. A team, by the way, that started out 3-3.

Good post, but a little too rose colored. As far as 2013 and the offensive line is concerned not only our depth sucks but our starters aren't much to write home about either especially in regards to pass protection.

A running game will only be of assistance if we have a field general who buys into a different balance on offense and a guy calling plays that can learn from/admit mistakes and do a better job to set his team up in a position for success.

Mike McCarthy always preaches about adversity but it is just THAT where is team failed when the game was on the line against the Bengals pretty much throughout all phases.

I'm not thinking anyone is saying we're going to be a 5-11 team but I do believe some are WAY overrating what the offensive line provides and or will provide in regards to the Packers immediate success and as the season moves along.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Positives
  • Cosby ain't missed yet
  • An OLB that is amazing

Negatives
  • We are 1-2
  • Our OL depth sucks

I didn't say the Packers weren't talented... I said they aren't good right now.

Also is this the same 9ers team that was playing without BOTH of their top receivers and still put up 500 yards of offense? And the amazing athletes the 9ers have got blown out in consecutive weeks... In the two weeks following the Packers game, combined the 9ers were just barely able to surpass the total yards they put up in week 1.

I do blame this more on coaching than players but you are making Kaep sound like a top 5 passer. He is not. The receivers were far too open on many occasions and if you go back and watch the game the defensive backfield had a horrible game that was criticized and talked about all week. With the players involved admitting how bad they played.

But just to hit on a couple points that you made:

• I agree, Franklin does look good. But so did Starks in 2011, I reserve thinking he is a saving grace or a permanent staple in the offense until he at least starts one game.
  • Bach I think you are giving him a little too much credit Quote from PFF
    David Bakhtiari simply had no answer for the Bengal defensive end’s repertoire of moves. Overall Johnson had two sacks, two hits, and a hurry to go along with a batted pass on fourth down inside of two minutes
  • Jolly has played less and less each week, could be a conditioning thing, but I think we can all agree his impact week 1 was much more than in 2 and 3.
  • If by many years you mean 3 than I agree... This line is no better than the 2010-2011 team.
  • I like the corners, and if Shields can be a more consistent #1 corner and House and Heyward continue to get better I think CB could be a team strength. But remember this is the same team that gave 208 yrds and 143 yds on consecutive weeks to a teams number 1 receiver and ranks 27th in pass defense. I be excited to see how we do on Megatron who always gives us fits.
  • Can't wait to see Burnett get back.
  • Jordy is a beast, and Finally has looked good this year. Still think there is more potential there but hes getting there.
  • I dont agree at all with the OLB assessment... Matthews left the game on Sunday and the pass rush was just sad to say the least. I havent seen much from anyone to give me too hope there yet. Potential maybe, but no results to show that yet.
  • I agree with the Hawk and Jones assessment. Was really impressed with Jones play this season.
  • Rodgers is pretty damn good... Can't disagree with that. But he hasn't played to his contract if you ask me so far. But I think he will get it all together yet.
  • And yes we all know Matthews is good if he can stay on the field which isn't all that common.

Negative
  • Ranked 26th in turnover ratio
  • Ranked 27th in total defense
  • Ranked 28th in scoring defense. Anytime you have to score on average 30 points a game to win that is a negative. On the flip side Seattle is 1st in scoring defense allowing 9 PPG. Which would you rather Rodgers have to score 30 or 10?
  • Defense that at times looks like it couldn't stop a high school team. Especially in the second half.
  • Injury bug is hitting us hard
There is no doubt this team has the potential to win out... POTENTIAL. But games against Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Atlanta will not be won by losing the turnover battle, making stupid coverage errors and Rodgers needs play like the best player on the field more often than not.

If they don't play any better than right now. I could honestly see an 8-8 record very easily. But I fully dont expect that. I think players come back, we get some cohesion on the offensive line. And that defense is able to stiffen up some. I see 10-6 as a realistic finish. With 11-5 as a possibility. But you don't play like the Packers have and consistently win in this league.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The reason that the 9ers were able to pass so freely against us and not against the seahawks or the colts is because we DO NOT play much man to man coverage and we DO NOT press the WR's off the line. The seahawks have big physical DB's who man handle the WR's. Indy saw what the seahawks did and just copied it and it worked. Capers however must either be to damn stubborn to adjust or have a lack of faith that our guys couldn't execute man to man vs the 9ers because that zone crap sure has enough holes in it that eventually the WR will find a hole and sit and wait for the pass. I sure do miss the days of Al Harris roughing up the WR's for the first 5 yards and by then they were off their route or rythem.

Members online

Latest posts