Bucket List Check off

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe it, but my wife bought me 2 tickets to Pack/Colts game. I've never stepped foot in Wisconsin yet have been a Pack fan since 83. I've been to AZ and SD a couple years back to cheer the Pack but never at Lambeau. She always knew that this was a dream for me to go to Lambeau. This being said, any suggestions on where to stay, places to go, and/or cheapest way to get there from L.A.(i.e. fly into CHI-rent a car, etc..)All suggestions welcome.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suggest you sell the tickets.

Green Bay is a rough city with tons of crime. you will get mugged about 3 seconds after arrival. many people never come back. its just an awful awful city.

If you sell the tickets to me, ill find a good home for them.

OP
OP
C

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.....Coming from L.A. I welcome Wisconsin Crime, at least they'll be speaking English when I'm mugged or won't be from the government when I'm *****!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe it, but my wife bought me 2 tickets to Pack/Colts game. I've never stepped foot in Wisconsin yet have been a Pack fan since 83. I've been to AZ and SD a couple years back to cheer the Pack but never at Lambeau. She always knew that this was a dream for me to go to Lambeau. This being said, any suggestions on where to stay, places to go, and/or cheapest way to get there from L.A.(i.e. fly into CHI-rent a car, etc..)All suggestions welcome.

'83? Heh. That was the year we had the #1 O and the #28 D (out of 28 teams). I remember that year fondly. We pretty much had to score every time we touched the ball to win a game.

Best part of the year was that 48-47 victory over the 'Skins who would go on to win the SB that year. They couldn't stop our Lynn ****ey to James Lofton, John Jefferson, and Paul Coffman (and Gerry Ellis, he was a heck of a receiver out of the backfield).

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats Cali!!!!
You are gonna LOVE it! Make sure you leave yourself time to tour Lambeau Field and the Packer Hall of Fame (which is right in the Lambeau Field Atrium, so you don't have to go anywhere else to see it). They have seat cushions with backs on them you can't rent for $5 or $6 each. WELL worth it, as all the seats are metal bleacher seats. October should still be pretty nice weather, but still, 3 hours on a metal bench with no backrest can be pretty bad. At least it is for me. Of course i have arthritus of the spine which makes it worse.
HAVE FUN!!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being from CA I understand the SD reference but some may think you went to South Dakota to cheer the Pack!!

I used to live near the Murph, Fashion Valley, and Hotel Circle.

I was last in Wisconsin in 2003 and it was more of a culture shock for my son than me.

I pumped gas before paying for it, drove on two lane highways, got to use high beams, he saw his first deer, racoon, fox, and badger, and as he noticed "The only black people we saw were at the airport."

"Why does everyone wear Packer stuff all the time when it is June?? It is like a religion here Dad, every house and business has Packer stuff and everyone talks about them." This is only the offseason, son.

People in Northern California watch football depending on whether the 49'ers or Raiders are winning. If neither they aren't interested!!

I hope you enjoy your visit as much as I do/did.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a fan since 1995, and I am hoping to take my dad up to watch a game sometime in the next few years.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the hotels in Green Bay might already be filled. Are you going to have a car? are you flying in? anyhow, you definitely need to go to Fuzzy's and have a beer. Fuzzy's is such a dive, they don't even have tap beer. Good times though. Fuzzy will probably be there. Are you taking your wife to the game, or someone else? if your wife goes with, she might be lucky enough to get sexually harassed by Fuzzy.

OP
OP
C

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have 2 options. The wife has bowed out, though I'd like to have some "alone time", wink wink nudge nudge, with her. I'm either going to bring a buddy, thus Fuzzy's and the like are going to collect massive amounts of dough from me, or I bring my boy(9yrs), which in itself would be way cool though twice the cost w/o any bar hopping. I'm probably going to fly and rent a car. Maybe fly into CHI or???? whichever is cheapest. Any Cheap or cheaper hotels in town? I do not need anything more than a bed and a bathroom, no pampering needed. Yhanks for some of the suggestions. I ask 'cuz I'm going to need to book quickly.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People in Northern California watch football depending on whether the 49'ers or Raiders are winning. If neither they aren't interested!!

Heh. I said that before on this board and someone implied I was exaggerating.

See, people! It's not just me who says it.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife too crossed an item on my bucket list...see the Green Bay Bday thread in The Atrium and you can read all the info these kind folks have given me so far.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, I live in Milwaukee during the school year (for college duh) and the trip wasn't that bad back from Green Bay. It's probably a 3-4 hour drive, not all that bad. I remember I took a greyhound bus from Milwaukee up there actually, and that only lasted a good 3 and a half hours plus was relatively cheap, but the drop off point was terrible. I would recommend renting a car in Milwaukee, but don't stay in GB. It's really hard to find a hotel there when there's a Packer game. In fact, almost impossible. So, like bozz said, I'd stay in Appleton. Also, like cheesy said, you've got to check out the Packer's hall of fame, it's really great!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lot of people post questions about where to go, what do to etc..

someone should ask for a specific thread be any for these things..

Wait someone asked for this already and was shot down!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats actually a great idea LT. Have a thread where people can add on their thoughts about where to stay, what to do when in GB.
I don't know why anyone would shoot down a thread idea like that.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take your 9 year old son. It depends on if this is an opportunity of a lifetime or are you thinking you'll go back??? Just my two cents...

I pretty much go to a game every year but I'm finally taking my kids, Sydni (8) and Brett (5) with me. I'm kind of bummed b/c I thought Brett would come back for at least one more year but I waited one season too long for my Brett to see Favre play. I was holding out so he could get old enough to remember the trip.

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread, you could also stay in Shawano which is pretty close to GB. I think the drive is about a half hour or so.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Thats actually a great idea LT. Have a thread where people can add on their thoughts about where to stay, what to do when in GB.
I don't know why anyone would shoot down a thread idea like that.

I posted that here

greenbay game ideas

but never got a reply from mods or Ryan

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats! I made the pilgrimage from MS two years ago and loved it.

I highly recommend flying into Chicago and driving to GB. Not only will you save money, but you'll gain sense of place that you simply won't get if you just fly into GB. The drive was one of the highlights of my trip.

Oh, allow plenty of time for the Hall of Fame / Museum. We didn't have enough time...that's my only regret from my trip.

Have fun!

TM

OP
OP
C

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This type of comradery is what makes me proud and loud about being a Pack fan. Of course I'd love to come back but you all know how that goes. The hall of fame is definitley a must as well as the Lambeau tour. Looks like the hotels over on Military lane are the cheapest, however regardless of nightly rate, all of the GB "cheap" stays go up to $100/night for Sat/Sun Packer game weekends. Bozz, you may be on to something. Being in sales driving isn't an issue and I do like the idea of seeing the country.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats on your first trip to Lambeau. I will be at this game also, as will vegOmatic,and Jamie. We are going to try and have a pf.com get together that weekend. We have not ironed out all the details yet. Last year we had a little get together at Champions. Me, Doddpower, vegOmatic, Cheesey, and PWT36 were all there. It was really neat to get to meet some of the members here.

There is nothing better than Green Bay, and the Packers. You will have an awesome time. I hope to see you there!

Members online

Latest posts