Brooks Reed (DE/OLB Arizona)

ARodsBelt12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REALLY like this guy! He has a nonstop motor and posted good numbers at the combine..read something on him on SI and one comment was that he was the most intense man at the combine. I hate to throw around CMIII comparisons but its tough with his guy..long blonde hair and everything. I would love to have him on the opposite side of Clay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32KAqii4lrk]YouTube - Brooks Reed top 5 de/olb 2011 draft[/ame]

azpackersfan12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a huge Arizona Wildcats fan, and Brooks is a BEAST. I think he would fit really well in GB. Eventhough at AZ we do play a 4-3 scheme, he could very easily switch to a 3-4. He's got speed, strength, hes got a nose for the ball, he's great at getting sack fumbles and strip sacks, and plays all out. Plus he's got great hair! Adding him to the Packers defense would be awesome. Him on one side, Clay on the other, and Hawk in the middle?? SOunds nice to me!

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch him any during his time at Arizona, but he looked like a beast at both the Senior Bowl and the combine. If he's got the ability to drop back into coverage, then I would love to have him.

azpackersfan12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch him any during his time at Arizona, but he looked like a beast at both the Senior Bowl and the combine. If he's got the ability to drop back into coverage, then I would love to have him.
He didn't drop into coverage all that often at AZ. However, I think he has the quickness to drop back and definitely has the football IQ to be able to understand coverage concepts. I'd much rather him end up on the packers so I can root for him even more!!

It's been rough that 2 of my favorite Wildcats of all time had to play on the dam patriots :p (Tedy Bruschi and Rob Gronkowski).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him, but don't compare him to Clay. He's not Clay.
Clay had combine numbers for a speedy safety. 35 vertical. 10 broad. under 4.2 on the 20 yard shuttle. 6.90 on the cone drill, which is just stupid.

Reed was not as potent (30 vertical, 9 broad), agile (7.11 3 cone), and doesn't have as quick a first step (4.28)

A guy that posted similar numbers is Sam Acho (33 vertical, 6.69 3 cone drill), but his first step isn't as good (4.3), and, of course, Von Miller (37 vertical, 10 broad, 4.06 short shuttle, 6.7 cone drill), who posted similar numbers to what DeMarcus Ware did.

Miller is a beast, btw, and will be the next DeMarcus Ware or Clay Matthews.

People talk about Patrick Peterson being the surest prospect, but I see the same thing on Miller. He's a can't miss player, as long as he's in a 3-4.

azpackersfan12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him, but don't compare him to Clay. He's not Clay.
Clay had combine numbers for a speedy safety. 35 vertical. 10 broad. under 4.2 on the 20 yard shuttle. 6.90 on the cone drill, which is just stupid.

Reed was not as potent (30 vertical, 9 broad), agile (7.11 3 cone), and doesn't have as quick a first step (4.28)

A guy that posted similar numbers is Sam Acho (33 vertical, 6.69 3 cone drill), but his first step isn't as good (4.3), and, of course, Von Miller (37 vertical, 10 broad, 4.06 short shuttle, 6.7 cone drill), who posted similar numbers to what DeMarcus Ware did.

Miller is a beast, btw, and will be the next DeMarcus Ware or Clay Matthews.

People talk about Patrick Peterson being the surest prospect, but I see the same thing on Miller. He's a can't miss player, as long as he's in a 3-4.
I don't think anyone was actually saying he's like Clay. Just that he would be a nice compliment to Clay on the other side.

Also totally agree about Miller, dude is a monster.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do people know about Justin Houston?

A few sites I've seen seem to think he'll be available at #32 in the first round? Is he the 2nd best OLB in the draft behind Von Miller?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't say anything on Houston or Reed, I just don't want TT to pick up Ayers seems like a 4-3 OLB to me after reading some more into him and watching some highlight films. Idk too me just seems like a bust waiting to happen.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is my top pick for us at #32. I think he will be there, and also I think he can be just as good as Clay, if not better. They would make the perfect OLB pair. PLEASE TT! PLEASE DRAFT HIM!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to watch a complete game of his sometime this month. Any certain ones stand out?

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had 5 tackles and 2 sacks in the game against Iowa this year. I didn't actually watch the game, but if I had to choose one to watch just looking at the stat lines, that would be it. Of course, it would be better if someone who actually follows Arizona would suggest a game for you.

If you haven't watched the Senior Bowl yet, you could watch that one too. He looked pretty good in limited action in that game. It would also be a good opportunity to watch other prospects like WR Leonard Hankerson who absolutely dominated the cornerbacks that lined up against him.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In those videos he pretty much looks like AJ Hawk playing rush linebacker. The Clay Matthews comparisons are pretty absurd in my opinion. He has blond hair and play hard, sure, but watching the tape he plays like AJ Hawk.

Brooks Reed doesn't look like a natural pass rusher at all. I don't get it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In those videos he pretty much looks like AJ Hawk playing rush linebacker. The Clay Matthews comparisons are pretty absurd in my opinion. He has blond hair and play hard, sure, but watching the tape he plays like AJ Hawk.

Brooks Reed doesn't look like a natural pass rusher at all. I don't get it.
Nowhere near A.J. Hawk. Hawk plays indecisive at times.

Give him credit, that first step and the hustle is great. I agree that it's pretty much it, though.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing much of this "he doesn't look like a pass rusher" by fans. I am all for learning the game, but I saw video from actual analysts who spoke on Clay after he was drafted and said his technique was not that good. What I am saying is if we take Reed at #32, that is only 6 picks after we took Matthews, who's to say this kid could never be Clay or better.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brooks Reed isn't a natural pass rusher, he's slow, he's tight, he's not explosive, he lacks college production, he's got limited upside, he's maxed out his body, he's already 24 years old.

Clay Matthews is a natural pass rusher, he's fast, he's loose, he's very explosive, he has high upside, his body is still developing, and he's 24 years old.

The only thing they have in common is blond hair, one year of high production in college, smarts, toughness, and a strong work ethic.

You can be as tough as want, work as hard as you want, but if you don't have the physical tools it's pretty difficult.

Brooks Reed wishes in his dreams he could be Clay Matthews.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts