Brohm?

mattlock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not impressed with this guy. I think they should have just cut him and moved on. I don't mean to fart in anyone's sleeping bag, but I am a little nervous about our back-up situation right now.

For the sake of argument, lets suppose A Rod goes down with an injury for a few weeks. Are we all really convinced that Flynn can handle this high powered offense? I am not. The way things go in the NFL, teams have windows of opportunity that they MUST take advantage of. Our window is wide open right now! I would feel much better if there was a proven Vet sitting on the sidelines holding the clipboard and was ready to come in and keep the ship upright and moving forward in the event that A-Rod goes down.

Look, we all got real comfortable knowing that Brett was going to play every week for 75 years. No knock on A Rod, I am a huge supporter, but chances are he going to miss a few games here and there. I just don't want the O to shut down because of it. Flynn does appear to have a lot of potential, but a guy like Feely or Harrington would make me less nervous. Heck, I would even think about T-Jack, assuming that was an option.

What say you?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches are happy with Flynn. I believe the only one out there, given that he's still out there, that can help us is Jeff Garcia. There are reports that he was a distraction in Tampa and Oakland, because he wanted to start. WELL, HE WANTED TO START AHEAD OF BRIAN GRIESE AND JAMARCUS RUSSEL. He's no problem. With him, I would sleep very well. With Flynn, I hope he can be effective, but all there is is hope.
-
About Brohm, I haven't seen nothing in him that indicates he's going to be a QB in the NFL. But I'm cheering for him. For him, Bustin Harrell and Pat Lee...

OP
OP
M

mattlock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches are happy with Flynn. I believe the only one out there, given that he's still out there, that can help us is Jeff Garcia. There are reports that he was a distraction in Tampa and Oakland, because he wanted to start. WELL, HE WANTED TO START AHEAD OF BRIAN GRIESE AND JAMARCUS RUSSEL. He's no problem. With him, I would sleep very well. With Flynn, I hope he can be effective, but all there is is hope.
-
About Brohm, I haven't seen nothing in him that indicates he's going to be a QB in the NFL. But I'm cheering for him. For him, Bustin Harrell and Pat Lee...

Garcia would be a great choice, although, I have heard that he is not the same guy he was a few years ago.

I am OK with Flynn too! I just would be more comfy if we had a known quantity as a back up. This team is too good too have that uncertainty in my opinion.

What about Feely and Harrington? Did those guys already sign with someone else?

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
As we know, the Packers had a veteran quarterback in Brett Favre. From a team perspective, he could have played the backup roll by handing the baton to A-Rod. This scenario is reasonable because it would have furthered the Packers continued success as A-Rod developed and would give the Pack the best backup in the league if A-Rod went down. Again, from a team perspective, this scenario is reasonable.

Wait, that's the perfect model. Of course there's no such thing as a perfect model in this world.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People.....we're talking about our THIRD STRING quarterback here. I know that "fan" is short for "fanatic" and I'm certainly as obsessed about the Packers as anybody, but if the fate our of season hinges on who our third string QB is then we're in trouble.

If Rodgers were to go down for any significant period of time I'm sure we'd bring somebody in. Garcia will probably still be available, for that matter.

But if Thompson has shown anything it's that it's ALWAYS about the long term best interests of the team and NEVER about the short-term fix.

Here's the deal on Brohm: A very good college QB. Has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL but has struggled in his first 16 months in the league. Towards the end of training camp, it seemed like he was "getting it" and the game was slowing down for him a little.

Does anybody remember how shaky Rodgers looked in his second pre-season? Should we have cut him loose and brought in a vet then? I don't think so.

And here's the payoff. Let's assume that Brohm actually does improve significantly by next year, and let's assume that Flynn also looks more comfortable at QB. Now, we've got TWO quality backups and that = tradeability.

I'm assuming we'll draft or acquire another young QB next year and that either Brohm or Flynn won't be with the team anymore. As Ruvell Martin can tell you, being the bottom guy on the depth chart for very long isn't a good thing for longevity in Green Bay.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminder....

Rodgers looked like do-do his 1st 2 years
I thought about it too, LT, but MM and TT never actually cut him. MM may have his share of flaws as a coach, as conservative play calling, keeping the team "soft" and "little" (flaws that he's changing in this season. We're choosing bigger lineman over faster ones, the defensive scheme got a lot more agressive, he's calling a lot more go's on 4th down...), but one thing he understands is QB. He's probably the best qb coach in the league, and when he chooses to take the risk in cutting Brohm, and when nobody claims him, there's something wrong with the kid.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought about it too, LT, but MM and TT never actually cut him. MM may have his share of flaws as a coach, as conservative play calling, keeping the team "soft" and "little" (flaws that he's changing in this season. We're choosing bigger lineman over faster ones, the defensive scheme got a lot more agressive, he's calling a lot more go's on 4th down...), but one thing he understands is QB. He's probably the best qb coach in the league, and when he chooses to take the risk in cutting Brohm, and when nobody claims him, there's something wrong with the kid.

I think a lot of the reason no one claimed him was a salary thing. But then again, many anonymous team officials said they wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I hope he can turn it around on the PS and in camp next season. If not, well, not all picks work out. I didn't really like the pick to begin with either. But when a guy, who is said to have a ton of potential, falls to you; you have to grab him. The vast majority of people were in a blind rage at the thought of picking Rodgers. I wasn't pissed we took a QB, but I thought Rodgers wouldn't amount to squat. Damn was I wrong. I think we have something special.

But you don't know that until you give them a shot. If we had to take a flyer on Brohm in round 2 and still get a steal with Flynn in the 7th then I say it's a good deal. If Flynn becomes a franchise guy a 2nd and 7th round pick is a good deal.

TheIrishCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible shame that Brohm hasn't worked out for Green Bay. To be fair to the guy he showed a lot of potential in college but just hasn't made the step up to professional football.

Nothing else to do but cut the guy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I'm watching America's Game, the first SB the Patriots won, and Brady is talking about his evaluation briefcase. Makes reads too slow, delivers too slow... I'm not saying, I'm just saying... I still believe in the kid, with a time away from pressure he can grow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts