Bring Back Holmgren?

Hendogg33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I might be acting brash here but I have seen on the forum that a lot of people are starting to call for MM to be fired. I have joined that train after watching his questionable playcalling fail time and again. What is worse is that now he has apparently lost the team. So how about we bring Mike Holmgren back. I know it probably won't happen but after his last few years in Seattle he deserves to go out with a better bang. It would be great to have him work with AROD. (He did work with Montana and molded Steve Young and Brett Favre) He also was never afraid to get in his star player's (Brett Favre) face and call him out. The last time we had a TRUELY dominant and dangerous team (not counting 07-we just seemed to young at the time) was with Holmgren at the helm. We were on the verge of a dynasty when he left. Had we been able to hold on to him who knows how many titles the packers would have. So let's bring back the orginal Big Mike, Mike Holmgren.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Holmgren has been hinting that he is ready to come back, however, from the looks of it, Holmgren would prefer a GM job ... not a coaching job (unless the "right one" presents itself) ...

I do not see Holmgren accepting a Head Coaching position in Green Bay while TT is the GM though ..., not unless TT would accept to also take a more pro-active stance, in terms of acquiring reinforcements via the FA market ...

Alot of teams have already been talked about as the next team to offer Holmgren a new HC job, however, so far Green Bay hasn't been among those ...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Cowher, Marriuci, or Gruden for our HC. Doesn't seem like Holmgren wants to come back to GB which is fine. We need someone who can will the Pack to win and can motivate players to give their best. Those 3 coaches I think can do that.

OP
OP
Hendogg33

Hendogg33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Holmgren retired after last season. I know he probably won't come back because A TT won't fire his golden boy MM, B even if TT did fire MM he would go after a similar unknown OC or DC to guide the team, C it would be a tough sell to get Holmgren out of retirement BUT im just throwing it out there hoping maybe TT decides to go with a vetren for once.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Cowher, Marriuci, or Gruden for our HC. Doesn't seem like Holmgren wants to come back to GB which is fine. We need someone who can will the Pack to win and can motivate players to give their best. Those 3 coaches I think can do that.

I agree, however, currently ... I don't see either of them ending up in Green Bay ... - Bringing in either of those above mentioned possibilities would probably "require" that those coaches being given some leeway in terms of FA acquisitions as well ... and that is not likely to happen with the current management ...

Right now, given past history in terms of looking at the free agency market ... - The Current management will probably be the largest hindrance to be able to land a "seasoned" Head Coach ...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, however, currently ... I don't see either of them ending up in Green Bay ... - Bringing in either of those above mentioned possibilities would probably "require" that those coaches being given some leeway in terms of FA acquisitions as well ... and that is not likely to happen with the current management ...

Right now, given past history in terms of looking at the free agency market ... - The Current management will probably be the largest hindrance to be able to land a "seasoned" Head Coach ...

Yeah, I pretty much had in mind that TT would be fired too. Once that happens I think there will be a few good possibilities for the head coaching job because we have a young promising team. We definitely need to have a GM that isn't afraid to dabble in FA every now and then.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much had in mind that TT would be fired too. Once that happens I think there will be a few good possibilities for the head coaching job because we have a young promising team. We definitely need to have a GM that isn't afraid to dabble in FA every now and then.

In all likelyhood, unless the Packers lose out and end up with yet another losing season ... I doubt TT will be fired the same time as McCarthy ...

Most likely ... McCarthy will be fired before TT, which will probably result in an entire new coaching staff ... Thus also (probably) meaning TT will be given a few more years to "rebuild" - again ...

At this point, I just don't see Murphy firing both TT and McCarthy simultanously ... - Ofcourse I could be wrong, hah ...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted wont be fired if they have a 8-8 or better season...

Doubt if Mike will be fired either

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Homlgren has stated he prefers the east coast.

Chucky and Mariucci don't have the profile. Gruden got kicked out of Tampa by his own players, and Mariucci isn't really a coach. He's more of Favre's friend than anything.

The real options out there are Shanahan and Cowher.

But I don't think a seasoned vet is the best option. We need a though, disciplinary coach, that provides leadership, confidence and vitality to his players, like Rex Ryan. He's big mouthed, but he gets the jobe done.

Don't really know LeBeau's personality, but he could be a great coach.

I wouldn't like Moss as a coach at all. He's not even a good ILB coach...

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
Homlgren has stated he prefers the east coast.

Chucky and Mariucci don't have the profile. Gruden got kicked out of Tampa by his own players, and Mariucci isn't really a coach. He's more of Favre's friend than anything.

The real options out there are Shanahan and Cowher.

But I don't think a seasoned vet is the best option. We need a though, disciplinary coach, that provides leadership, confidence and vitality to his players, like Rex Ryan. He's big mouthed, but he gets the jobe done.

Don't really know LeBeau's personality, but he could be a great coach.

I wouldn't like Moss as a coach at all. He's not even a good ILB coach...

Oh god...if we were to get a loud mouth like rex ryan as head coach my fanhood would be sorely tested.

I think Moss would be a good coach. Last year he called out his linebackers for their poor play. That's the kind of thing we need for this young team. Players need to be held accountable for their play and actions.

As far as not being a good ILB coach (I'm assuming you're referring to AJ) I don't think the HC has much to do with position coaching so that's basically a non-factor.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt Cowher have an opportunity to return at the beginning of the season? I forgot with who, but he turned it down. Now hes a sportscaster. Im pretty sure it was him....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Jets....

Word was he didnt want to coach Brett

Not sure how true it all was though, that was the RUMOR at the time

cinnamon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I might be acting brash here but I have seen on the forum that a lot of people are starting to call for MM to be fired. I have joined that train after watching his questionable playcalling fail time and again. What is worse is that now he has apparently lost the team. So how about we bring Mike Holmgren back. I know it probably won't happen but after his last few years in Seattle he deserves to go out with a better bang. It would be great to have him work with AROD. (He did work with Montana and molded Steve Young and Brett Favre) He also was never afraid to get in his star player's (Brett Favre) face and call him out. The last time we had a TRUELY dominant and dangerous team (not counting 07-we just seemed to young at the time) was with Holmgren at the helm. We were on the verge of a dynasty when he left. Had we been able to hold on to him who knows how many titles the packers would have. So let's bring back the orginal Big Mike, Mike Holmgren.

He won't be much help without Brett.

Members online

Latest posts