Bring back Green?

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an early post someone said that TT will possibly bring Green back. I am completely agasint this decision. Why bring back an old fumbling running back when Gado has emerged and Davenport can be our bruiser... I'm all for a FA signing, or a drafting a RB in the third round, but please! is anyone else sick of watchin green fumble I am, he hasnt even tried not stop the fumbles, look at Tiki... hes just an uncoachable subburn SOB.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

HEY LOOK! Its ahman running down the sideline holding the ball in the wrong arm!

I dont really hate Green this much, but his contract is finally over, lets not screw ourselves like the Jets did with Martin

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the running back market isnt paying...which, think of teams that really need running backs--Ahman might be brought back for a smaller one or two year deal. Other than this I dont think we should bend over backwards to bring Ahman back.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry, in the next couple of months you all are going to think it is Christmas everyday as most of the players that have a chance to leave Green Bay will.

In the past two weeks I have read that we don't need Favre, Green, Jackson, Kampman,Walker,Flanangan,Davenport,.......anyone else?

To hell with them all, we have 'Our Savior" Ted Thompson who will magically turn a bunch of rookies and practice squad caliber players into a championship caliber team.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe McCarthy can cure his fumbling woes, but I would have to say " let him go" ! He is only worth the league minimum at this point in his career and he will never go for that.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado is also known to be coachable.

green, god love him, never learned to not fumble, nor switch hands.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Guess if he does come back and shows the fumble tendancies we'll find out how hard nosed of a coach McCarthy is. :shock:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's healthy and comes for the right price of course you bring him back. If he's healthy we don't have anybody better. Our line was not very good most of the year but at the beginning it was atrocious. It hard to gain yards when you're consistently getting hit in the backfield.

Gado looked good the few games he played(he fumbled also) but I won't be comfortable until he is consistent for a season or more. Once the defesive coaches have a book on you it gets alot harder. Hopefully he's the real thing.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rmayer32 said:
tromadz said:

Guess if he does come back and shows the fumble tendancies we'll find out how hard nosed of a coach McCarthy is. :shock:

or edgar bennett

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care for Green either as a player or a person. He was on a couple of Packerfan tour cruises which we were on, and I thought he was a little on the snobbish side. Most of the other players on those cruises were very very friendly.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm undecided with my feelings on bringing back Ahman. The biggest thing here is that this guy will be going in the Packer Hall of fame someday. Is throwing a guy under the bus the type of thing a quality orgainization does to a guy who in the prime of his career played for below market value and never held out (Do you read the forum JWalk)?

But on the other side, he does have some baggage unbecoming a Packer. He also fumbles way too much, but then again Brett a few too many picks.

I think the best thing is to give him an incentive laden one year cotract, and let him compete with Gado for the job. He can always be cut in training camp. Drafting a running back on day one is also a very good idea.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a good chance Green will return with a short term, cap friendly contract because he's coming off of injury. It's unlikely that Davenport will be brought back -- FA who's contract's up and comes with injury and fumbling problems. Gado will be brought back without a doubt and Fisher will have a chance to earn a roster spot. At FB, Henderson may not return and Leach should return.

Now I don't know about McCarthy's offensive style, but let's assume the same 3 RB/2 FB roster spots are open. Green, Gado and Fisher will fight for spots with a draft pick and young FA pick-up. Leach will battle with at least one or two young prospects. I wouldn't be surprised to see a RB/FB tweener picked up who could be more of a threat the way Henderson has been for years.

So from those predictions back to this thread, yes Green should be given a chance to return. His contract should be low and short-term due to his injury situation and age. If he can't find anything better somewhere else, then he will work his @$$ off this year to prove he's still as good as ever and earn a better deal next year. This is definitely good for GB because Green is a difference maker who balances out our offense. It will also give Gado more opportunity to develop while not getting too beat up.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
I don't really care for Green either as a player or a person. He was on a couple of Packerfan tour cruises which we were on, and I thought he was a little on the snobbish side. Most of the other players on those cruises were very very friendly.

There, that's it! Cut his ***! If he can't act civil on a Packerfan tour cruise, he can't run the ball for the Packers!!! :roll:

I say, bring him back if the price is right. Who's better? Don't say Gado PLEASE until he at least plays a few more games PLEASE!!!

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green is good and I've been a fan of his for a long time, but Gado just seems like the right choice now. After Favre is gone (hopefully not for 3 years) we are gonna be a young team and it'be nice if Gado had a few years under his belt. Besides if he leaves and becomes great like I think he will we will regret it for a long time.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aceschnd said:
Green is good and I've been a fan of his for a long time, but Gado just seems like the right choice now. After Favre is gone (hopefully not for 3 years) we are gonna be a young team and it'be nice if Gado had a few years under his belt. Besides if he leaves and becomes great like I think he will we will regret it for a long time.

Gado was a rookie last year, so he essentially has no negotiating rights until he's been in the league for 3 years. We can keep him cheap right now and also sign Green.

The advantage is that it will reduce the pounding on Gado early in his career while he's still improving. This is very important for RBs since they take such a beating. Most RBs don't last very long in the NFL.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dakota T , Bobby Roberts, ND Packer fan. Your posts have got it right!!The rest of you who re think your positon that Packer RB Ahman Green should not be given a chance to return to Packers after he suffered a servere injury. Because he fumbles too much and he is not friendly on Packer Tour or what ever else you have dreamed up. Let me inform you as a Packer fan of some 60 years. Born & raised in Green Bay. I have seen all the Packer's Running backs since Tony Canadeo, first 1,000 rusher in Packer history of 40's and early 50's, Paul Hornung & Jimmy Taylor of "glory years Packers" coached by Vince Lombardi in '60's. I believe under than Packer HC Bart Starr, John Brockington rushed -three season in a row for 1.000 yards. Also Packers , Tredell Middleton rushed for 1,000 one year I believe in 1978. RB Eddie Lee Ivery came along during Bart Starr's time as HC showed great promise during his rookie year and gained 830 yards. Ivery then" blew out" his knee twice in three years against the Bears on the the horrible synthetic carpet at Soldier's Field. And Eddie Lee Ivery was never the same running back. Finally after many years of having no effective running back, Edger Bennett, then Dorsey Levens came a long and brought back effectiveness to the Packer rushing attack. In 2000, The Packers pulled off a trade with Mike Holmgren's Seattle Seahawks and obtained Ahman Green for Packer CB Freddie Vincent (oft hurt and underachieving player) who is no longer in the of Packer football. In my opinion, Ahman Green is the best all around Rb in Packer History despite putting ball on field more than most running backs. You posters look at Green's career fumbling statictics with the Packers, than look at Edgreen James statistics with the Colts. Take a look at Tiki Barber statistics with the NY Giants and other hard running backs in the past who fought hard for every yard after being in process of being tackled . You will find out they put the ball on field more than other Rbs who had a different style than them, like Running Backs who went out of bounce, when about to be tackled. In fact one must take in the consideration of that many of Green's fumbles were really recovered by the Packers and James of Colts many fumbles were not recovered by Colts. These type runners were kept by their teams for many years, and not sent cut like anti Green posters have suggested Packer should do. . Packers tried to correct Green's way of holdiing the ball and have him put in the opposite hand when needed. This was problem with Ahman Green and hurt his effectiveness so the discontinued the attempt.. However this problem of fumbling was by far outweighted by the results of 5 year career as running back with the Packers. As far as I am concerned, he is the first real complete running back in Packer history, he has speed to take it to end zone from any part of the football field and out run many defensive players, He has the power to make yards when blocking is poor and can break tackles. Green can make many defensive players miss tackling him when they are one on one with Green. You are short sight, if you really believe the Packers should not bring Green into camp this year. I suggest you rethink you opinion on the subject. However, it has to be with one year contract with incentatives and be salary Cap friendly and a modest bonus. What do the Packers have to lose by doing this? NFL Contracts are not guaranteed. But if Green should get back to his pre injury form, it could would be some other NFL team's big gain.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36,

I went to the Cowboy-Packer game two years ago and saw Green up close. The guy is amazing...when the blocking broke down, he gained 3 yards on his own. When the blocking is there, the guy can take it the distance. This was the game where he rushed for a 90 yard touchdown - it was AWESOME! Ahman Green needs to be brought into camp to compete and show the Packers that he's fully recovered. The Packers would be wise to give him a one year deal with discussion about an extension if he proves himself capable again IMO...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I read about it, his knee was starting to get bad in the middle of the 2004 season and that led to his production to go down...Reason why knee was going back is because his thigh muscle was getting worse...

I mentioned it b4...His surgey has been done on other players and they came back 100% and it no longer was an issue..He mentioned he is willing to do a 1 year deal, so I say give him the deal!!! He is same age as the current MVP..

Stats from Nfl.com

Alexander
23 fumbles 1717 atts .013 fumbles per att

Barber
50 fumbles 1890 atts .026 fumbles per att

Green
33 fumbles 1650 atts .020 fumbles per att

Gado
4 fumbles 143 atts .0279 fumbles per att

Holmes
16 fumbles 1734 atts .009 fumbles per att

Edge
33 fumbles 2188 atts .015 fumbles per att

Tomlinson
22 fumbles 1702 atts .0129 fumbles per att

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
From what I read about it, his knee was starting to get bad in the middle of the 2004 season and that led to his production to go down...Reason why knee was going back is because his thigh muscle was getting worse...

I mentioned it b4...His surgey has been done on other players and they came back 100% and it no longer was an issue..He mentioned he is willing to do a 1 year deal, so I say give him the deal!!! He is same age as the current MVP..

Stats from Nfl.com

Alexander
23 fumbles 1717 atts .013 fumbles per att

Barber
50 fumbles 1890 atts .026 fumbles per att

Green
33 fumbles 1650 atts .020 fumbles per att

Gado
4 fumbles 143 atts .0279 fumbles per att

Holmes
16 fumbles 1734 atts .009 fumbles per att

Edge
33 fumbles 2188 atts .015 fumbles per att

Tomlinson
22 fumbles 1702 atts .0129 fumbles per att

Thanks for posting this information. Although Green has been labeled a "fumbler", I think his production outweighs that problem. You never want to see someone fumble on your team, but it happens. I think those stats are interesting especially Gado having a higher "fumble per carry" percentage than Green. BTW, before anyone hammers me on that, I like Gado as well and think he would be an excellent change of pace back.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Ahman Green a free agent?If so then it's up to Ahman. Let's be honest....whoever offers him the most money will get him. He will probably be offered a one year deal and the Packers will probably offer him something but his best days are passed. That injury is a very difficult thing to FULLY recover from.

I'm not really a big fan of his. It's my understanding that MM is looking for "Packer people". If being accused of domestic violence by three SEPERATE women is considered "Packer people" then there is a problem.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack said:
Isn't Ahman Green a free agent?If so then it's up to Ahman. Let's be honest....whoever offers him the most money will get him. He will probably be offered a one year deal and the Packers will probably offer him something but his best days are passed. That injury is a very difficult thing to FULLY recover from.

I'm not really a big fan of his. It's my understanding that MM is looking for "Packer people". If being accused of domestic violence by three SEPERATE women is considered "Packer people" then there is a problem.

He is a F.A yes...Who will give him a block buster deal though? I think he wants to be a Packer and give them every chance to sign him...

The prior 2 were dropped and nothing was ever filed, and if I am not mistaken one was his wife/ or g/f that was the aggressor in it..

Not saying it is okay to over look, but just am putting that out there.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need to throw this monkey wrench into the conversation! We are changing our blocking scheme people. I think Ahman has very good vision and patience to pick the holes that open up. Can anyone realistically say that Gado can do this. I am not saying he can't, but I don't think he has enough experience. Gado does seem to be very intelligent, which is definitely a plus. I look at Gado like Mike Anderson out in Denver.

I think the proper thing to do is sign Green and then draft Calhoun or Maroney. UW & UM both use the blocking schemes we are implementing. I don't think getting Settersom, Eslinger, or Raiola would be a bad idea either.

Members online

Latest posts