Bright Side of Losing the Division

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so bear with me (pun intended), but I actually wouldn't mind taking a 5 or 6 seed into the playoffs as opposed to taking the division, and here's why:

Right now i believe that the Falcons are the consensus pick for the 1st round bye, and should we get past the first round, there's no other place I'd rather see the pack play at than in the cozy Georgia Dome Rodgers is so accustomed to tearing up.

The 49ers scare the hell out of me, especially with a new running QB with a big arm. The defensive scheme we'd have to prepare would need to be completely different from our last meeting, and I don't like how they match up with us. What are your thoughts and your favorite path to the super bowl?

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a fan of travelling in the playoffs ever since the Favre/Ahman Green era ended. EVERYBODY knows we are a pass first and often team and the idea of playing in GB in January just doesn't make sense to me. Give me a nice climate controlled dome where there's no wind and our recievers have perfect footing. I'll take my chances with a hostile crowd.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make an interesting point RF. Although I think that the Saints will admit that the Falcons are no longer the little brother you like to beat on. Granted the Saints aren't the Saints of 2009, but the Packers aren't the Packers of 2010 or 2011. Either opponent will be difficult. I think that the best we can hope for is to win our first game and then hope that the other team fails to show up to the game (forfeit)!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5th or 6th seed is almost a guaranteed trip to New York or Chicago. I'd rather take my chances with winning the division. We'd likely get that wish of facing the Falcons by the NFC Championship Game anyway.

I know momentum has been the Super Bowl key the last two years, but this isn't a historical certainty. I'd still rather earn the bye and play less games, less chances to lose. Granted, we don't want a repeat of last year -- which is why they need to be a lot more self-motivating.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I agree. Plus a bye gives us a chance to rest up, something that could be a tremendous boon. I say let's win out, take the division, get the bye and let them come to us. Stiff competition this year but by bypassing the 1st round we let the competition beat on each other and eliminate two teams from the contest. Win one game and suddenly we're in the NFCCG again.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Wait.....what? There's a bright side to losing the division?
Hey, please tell me what the bright side to losing the playoff game last year was too. I could use some sunshine.
Now I've heard of "Suck for Luck" but "Suck for 6th Seed" is new.

Members online

Latest posts